Apr 12, 2007
First game impressions

+lateral movement
+poise
+tracked puck well

-glove high
-rebound control could be better
-not really an issue but could play puck better

Overall great performance for his first start ever. A little shaky at first but settled down and played a good confident game. Shame about the injury though.

The club should feel a little more confident in playing Aitto in the future.

McNab said something about it just being a slight pull that was awkward, didn't sound too bad after.

I liked how ready he was to make plays at the puck and just be all around attacking it. Rebounds weren't that bad, it should pick up as time goes on.

Coloradorov

Oct 7, 2009
Denver
I thought the kid was a warrior. He was thrown into quite possibly the absolute worst situation for an NHL debut. He was shaken early with a couple great goals, and stood back up with composure until he was put out. Small sample size, but I was given no reason to dislike him at all.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I heard that he was looking good before injury, yeah letting in two goals the shots weren't really easy for newbie, specially the second one. Keeping zero after those two is a good thing, he didin't get mentally hasted even if he was scored on.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
McNab mentioned during the broadcast that during the TV timeout after the second goal Bordeleau skated out to Sami and gave him a little pep talk. Good game by the Monsters tonight, sticking together that way. :nod:

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
I remember reading a piece about him on the Goalie guild last training camp and they said he got toasted a lot high glove side so not surprised he got beaten there but he can work on that. All in all a good start for him and hopefully he can build on the experience.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I only watched the first so far, but I really liked his aggressiveness, but at the sametime it really hurt him too. He was overplaying his angles on Carter's goal (too close to the post, left far post exposed ever so slightly) and he was either too far out or far in on Richards' goal (can't remember which, just remember thinking about it at the time).

Overall though, he fought well, was very agile in net and he was always following the puck never losing it in traffic.

I said this in the GDT, he's got a bright future ahead of him. He just needs time to mature in net and calm his game down, similar to how Giggy worked with Varly last year. Aitto needs a calm veteran presence and a goaltending coach to help him refine his movements and improve his angles. Other than that, I'd like to see better rebound control.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Really liked his game last night. Was beat high glove twice, but then really adjusted. I agree with the Backstrom comparison, but you can also see some of the athleticism of a Kiprusoff in there.

I would disagree with some of the above in regards to his puck handling. I thought that was a strength last night. He made some nice quick decisions with it, one-handing the puck away, regular passes or even making one diving pokecheck on a loose puck. Very impressive skillset he has.

Was it just me or did his pads look too small?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I only watched the first so far, but I really liked his aggressiveness, but at the sametime it really hurt him too. He was overplaying his angles on Carter's goal (too close to the post, left far post exposed ever so slightly) and he was either too far out or far in on Richards' goal (can't remember which, just remember thinking about it at the time).

Overall though, he fought well, was very agile in net and he was always following the puck never losing it in traffic.

I said this in the GDT, he's got a bright future ahead of him. He just needs time to mature in net and calm his game down, similar to how Giggy worked with Varly last year. Aitto needs a calm veteran presence and a goaltending coach to help him refine his movements and improve his angles. Other than that, I'd like to see better rebound control.

He did lose his angle on the Carter goal also didnt help that the pick went off Johnsons stick. The Richards goal I think he was a little deep but again it was another breakdown in coverage and Richards had all day to fire that puck. I was actually quite impressed with him being that it was his first game and all. I was also expecting him to be lit up like a christmas tree. I will say though that everytime the puck went near the net i cringed but thats no different then any of the other guys who play net for us of late.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Really liked his game last night. Was beat high glove twice, but then really adjusted. I agree with the Backstrom comparison, but you can also see some of the athleticism of a Kiprusoff in there.

I would disagree with some of the above in regards to his puck handling. I thought that was a strength last night. He made some nice quick decisions with it, one-handing the puck away, regular passes or even making one diving pokecheck on a loose puck. Very impressive skillset he has.

Not just you I said the same thing. I thought his pads were Budaj small

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

They did... On the plus side when further restrictions on pad size comes down he won't have to adjust.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I thought he handled the early adversity pretty well, and looked fairly solid for the most part. Maybe a couple rebound issues, but he also controlled some of the other shots pretty well too. Poor kid really got thrown into the fire by his team.

What's up with the cramps thing though? Did he really get that dehydrated, or does he have the same thing Jiggy has somehow? Never seen a goalie have to leave the game because of cramps before.

landesberg

varlamov4ever
May 29, 2011
London, ON

Aitto's puckhandling is sort of boom-bust in a sort; he's either really good or really bad with it. He wasn't bad last night, I do believe he did contribute to a turnover by putting the defenseman in a bad situation (might have been Giguere now that I think about it), but even in the WJC he was really finicky with his puck handling.

His pads did look pretty small, especially compared to Giguere... I actually like it that way. :laugh:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Aitto's puckhandling is sort of boom-bust in a sort; he's either really good or really bad with it. He wasn't bad last night, I do believe he did contribute to a turnover by putting the defenseman in a bad situation (might have been Giguere now that I think about it), but even in the WJC he was really finicky with his puck handling.

His pads did look pretty small, especially compared to Giguere... I actually like it that way. :laugh:

He's pretty aggressive too, which I think is a good thing. Comes way out to challenge shooters sometimes, is aggressive and active with his poke check.

My jaw kinda hit the floor a little bit when I saw him skate out to near the blueline to play a puck and make a pass when the D was right there to take it. I believe it was a tie or one goal game at the time too.

I can't remember the last time I saw an Avalanche goalie come that far out to play a puck. Certainly not with Varly and Jiggy that I recall. Pretty ballsy in your first NHL game, but that's a good sign IMO.

landesberg

varlamov4ever
May 29, 2011
London, ON
He's pretty aggressive too, which I think is a good thing. Comes way out to challenge shooters sometimes, is aggressive and active with his poke check.

My jaw kinda hit the floor a little bit when I saw him skate out to near the blueline to play a puck and make a pass when the D was right there to take it. I believe it was a tie or one goal game at the time too.

I can't remember the last time I saw an Avalanche goalie come that far out to play a puck. Certainly not with Varly and Jiggy that I recall. Pretty ballsy in your first NHL game, but that's a good sign IMO.

I don't think we've seen an Av goaltender play as aggressively as Aitto can and does in a long time. Varly did very early on in his stint with us, but he hasn't been so aggressive since. Aitto's aggressive does work against him sometimes, and it played a part in costing Finland WJC gold (he played lights out until that point, 50+ saves if I remember correctly).

Aittokallio really needs a goalie coach (we barely have one) to hone his positioning and glove hand. He holds his glove very low in his stance, sort of like Niemi and Reimer does. I remember the reports from training camp last year when his high glove was being burned all camp long. I'd have to say though, he's made some improvements to his hand placement since I saw him last year, but he has a tendency to bring it low when he's crouching in his stance. IMO, it's something that could be correctable with a couple years of proper coaching and game experience.

Aitto's compete level is something we should never have to worry about though, he's easily one of my favourite Av prospects. Great pickup in the 4th round.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
What's up with the cramps thing though? Did he really get that dehydrated, or does he have the same thing Jiggy has somehow? Never seen a goalie have to leave the game because of cramps before.

Could also have something to do with nerves, the more nervous you get the more likely you develop cramps.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I thought Aitto looked pretty decent considering we basically did everything wrong in the first period. Both goals that he gave up weren't terrible ones. Carter's he might have wanted back as his angle was a little off, but Richards was a point blank shot from the slot that he roofed, not many goalies make that save. Not a bad first impression, would like to see Pickard play in the NHL before comparing the two. But it seems we have 2 solid goalie prospects.

On the injury topic, not sure if it has been confirmed as cramps, but if it was I can fully understand. I doubt it was due to poor conditioning as he has played plenty in Lake Erie this year. It was probably a combination of nerves all day, and then maybe being nervous in the game and maybe not drinking as much as he is used to because he was concentrating on other aspects, and obviously all the sweating he was doing playing a humid building. Being stressed and nervous all day can take a toll on your body.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'm excited to see this kid play. I believe he possibly has a future with the club.

But on the flip side, bringing up and starting a goaltender this late in the season with a piss poor defensive corps is just hanging out the kid to dry. I'm not so sure this is exactly the best situation to bring in a young goaltender to. Hopefully this kid is arrogant enough about himself that his confidence doesn't shatter playing for these bums in front of him.

Anyone else get the feeling that this whole goaltender situation is on a personal level with Giguere and Varlamov? i.e. they may be sitting these guys just because of egos on the ice and in the front office?

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I thought he handled the early adversity pretty well, and looked fairly solid for the most part. Maybe a couple rebound issues, but he also controlled some of the other shots pretty well too. Poor kid really got thrown into the fire by his team.

Well I mean he's a young kid he may not be conditioned for the higher intensity of the game. My guess is higher intensity + nerves --> sweating more than normal --> dehydrated.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Kent Patterson and Kieran Millan aren't slouches either. Patterson might even be the best out of the bunch, although Aitto has the highest upside.

I don't have a lot of hope for Millan, but I think Patterson could be real good if he continues to develop well. Hopefully we keep him in the system, he's one of those guys who could be ready for the show at a later age.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm excited to see this kid play. I believe he possibly has a future with the club.

But on the flip side, bringing up and starting a goaltender this late in the season with a piss poor defensive corps is just hanging out the kid to dry. I'm not so sure this is exactly the best situation to bring in a young goaltender to. Hopefully this kid is arrogant enough about himself that his confidence doesn't shatter playing for these bums in front of him.

Anyone else get the feeling that this whole goaltender situation is on a personal level with Giguere and Varlamov? i.e. they may be sitting these guys just because of egos on the ice and in the front office?

I don't think that is the case at all. Jiggy wouldn't have started against Anaheim if that was the case, and I legitimately think Varly is injured.

Aitto's confidence won't be killed by a bad game or two... it takes multiple games in a row of not being able to keep up. He kept up last night and is probably gained confidence last night.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't have a lot of hope for Millan, but I think Patterson could be real good if he continues to develop well. Hopefully we keep him in the system, he's one of those guys who could be ready for the show at a later age.

I have the exact opposite in the assessment :laugh:

IMO if Millan can ever get it together between the ears I think he will be a NHL backup. I think Patterson will be exposed as he relies on pure athleticism too much. In reality both have question marks, but enough talent to make the NHL in a backup level.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
On the topic of confidence... can we start treating these guys like the adults they are? Their confidence isn't going to be shattered after a few bad games in the NHL. You don't do something like high end hockey for your entire teen life then young adult life without being able to take some tough games.

Does anyone out there actually think a stinker of your first NHL game wouldn't push a player off the deep end, ruining any chance of a career?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad