Recalled/Assigned: Aittokallio recalled

Finnsane

Oct 21, 2012
Aittokallio gave an interview to Finnish Urheilulehti: http://www.urheilulehti.fi/jaakiekk...debyytti-paattyi-tiputukseen-erikoinen-tapaus

I'll try to translate Sami's quotes for you:

On the incident:

"I'm feeling better now and I've got my legs moving. I got cramps and couldn't move them at all. It just happened really suddenly when I was moving from post to post, I just lost both legs. I couldn't really do anything after that."

"I wouldn't say that it was dehydration. I drank six bottles of water and four bottles of Gatorade. And during game I of course drank both. So I can't tell why it happened, I've never had it happen before. Pretty weird thing."

"Afterwards I got the IV so I'd get all the necessary stuff straight to my veins. Otherwise it would have taken up to 24 hours before I could start recovering. So I was able to walk after that and start the recovery."

On the game:

"Guys said to me before the game that they'd give me an easy start. Then we were down on shots 9 to 1 before the 10-minute mark. But on the other hand, it was probably a good thing that I had to face some difficult shots right away and get into the game."

"I should have gotten the first goal. It was a good shot but from a small angle. I thought I was pretty well with it and it hit my shoulder. But I should have been able to take the angle off."

"On the other goal, I'd probably still be looking for the puck if the goal horn didn't go off. I have no idea where the shot game from. After that I started catching the pucks pretty well."

On coming to North America:

"I decided that if I get to play a game, I have to enjoy it. It's a freaking great thing to get to play in the NHL. It's been a dream since I was a kid but there's no need to take any extra pressure. When that's what you wanna do, you just have to do your best and show what you can do."

"I got the feeling that I can play in this league, no problem. It's just a shame that I couldn't finish the game. Next goal is to play full 60 minutes. This will make a nice story to tell to some younger goalie when I'm a veteran. So no need to be nervous."

"I'll do what I can to get the legs back to normal and I'll be sitting next game. But I don't know how long I'm gonna be here and when I'm going back but I just have to be ready for the next game all the time."

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Aittokallio gave an interview to Finnish Urheilulehti: http://www.urheilulehti.fi/jaakiekk...debyytti-paattyi-tiputukseen-erikoinen-tapaus

On the incident:

"I'm feeling better now and I've got my legs moving. I got cramps and couldn't move them at all. It just happened really suddenly when I was moving from post to post, I just lost both legs. I couldn't really do anything after that."

"I wouldn't say that it was dehydration. I drank six bottles of water and four bottles of Gatorade. And during game I of course drank both. So I can't tell why it happened, I've never had it happen before. Pretty weird thing."

"Afterwards I got the IV so I'd get all the necessary stuff straight to my veins. Otherwise it would have taken up to 24 hours before I could start recovering. So I was able to walk after that and start the recovery."

On the game:

"Guys said to me before the game that they'd give me an easy start. Then we were down on shot 9 to 1 before the 10-minute mark. But on the other hand, it was probably a good thing that I had to face some difficult shots right away and get into the game."

"I should have gotten the first goal. It was a good shot but from a small angle. I thought I was pretty well with it and it hit my shoulder. But I should have been able to take the angle off."

"On the other goal, I'd probably still be looking for the puck if the goal horn didn't go off. I have no idea where the shot game from. After that I started catching the pucks pretty well."

"I decided that if I get to play a game, I have to enjoy it. It's a freaking great thing to get to play in the NHL. It's been a dream since I was a kid but there's no need to take any extra pressure. When that's what you wanna do, you just have to do your best and show what you can do."

"I got the feeling that I can play in this league, no problem. It's just a shame that I couldn't finish the game. Next goal is to play full 60 minutes. This will make a nice story to tell to some younger goalie when I'm a veteran. So no need to be nervous."

"I'll do what I can to get the legs back to normal and I'll be sitting next game. But I don't know how long I'm gonna be here and when I'm going back but I just have to be ready for the next game all the time."

Nice, sounds like a confident kid. Sounds like McNab might have been right about Carter's wicked wrister catching him off guard, never having a training camp to face NHL shooters.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Nice, sounds like a confident kid. Sounds like McNab might have been right about Carter's wicked wrister catching him off guard, never having a training camp to face NHL shooters.

Agreed on the confidence, his aggressive nature seemed to show off that confidence in himself rather well too.

I like how he was already talking about the day he becomes a veteran. Hopefully it's with us. But odds are not in ours or his favor...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Agreed on the confidence, his aggressive nature seemed to show off that confidence in himself rather well too.

I like how he was already talking about the day he becomes a veteran. Hopefully it's with us. But odds are not in ours or his favor...

Yea that stood out to me too. Kinda like him skating to the blueline to play the puck in his first NHL game that I mentioned earlier.

He might have a bit of Roy in him.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Not sure why there's any confidence talk. This was his first game against true NHL shooters. It's not like he gave up goals to Cal Clutterbuck and Brian McGratton. This was Mike Richards and freaking Jeff Carter. The shots are harder, faster, and less telegraphed at this level. He adjusted well in game. He's also only 20 years old in his first pro year in North America. He has LOTS of time to get better. And he will.

If anything, this first stint should give him some confidence that he can hang with the big boys.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I hope they keep Aitto around to play another game. No need to rush Varly back from a hip injury. Those can become nagging injuries for goaltenders. Just let him rest. Poor guy's whole season has pretty much been like the first five minutes of Aitto's NHL career.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Luckily it was just a cramp. That is not so dangerouse, actually usually in beer hockey, If I score with individual effort it only means that my both legs and hands cramped in the same time :)

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Yea that stood out to me too. Kinda like him skating to the blueline to play the puck in his first NHL game that I mentioned earlier.

He might have a bit of Roy in him.

the way he was coming further out of the net and almost daring shooters to beat him i thought "damn this kid must have been a Roy fan."

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007

On the incident:

On the game:

"Guys said to me before the game that they'd give me an easy start. Then we were down on shot 9 to 1 before the 10-minute mark. But on the other hand, it was probably a good thing that I had to face some difficult shots right away and get into the game."

"On the other goal, I'd probably still be looking for the puck if the goal horn didn't go off" :laugh::laugh:

He seems like a smart kid. Not adding any pressure to himself and taking it lightly. There are many situations that would be called higher pressure than being a call up for a team mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

I'd like to see him more with the Avs.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
i was geeked when we drafted him, i was geeked about Pickard as well.
but Sami was the goalie i wanted most in that draft year.
the real question is who eventually gets dealt first, Varly(highly doubt he ever gets dealt),Pickard,Aittokallio or Millan.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Love his confidence in that interview and the fact that he had no problem admitting he should have had the first goal.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
i was geeked when we drafted him, i was geeked about Pickard as well.
but Sami was the goalie i wanted most in that draft year.
the real question is who eventually gets dealt first, Varly(highly doubt he ever gets dealt),Pickard,Aittokallio or Millan.

Hopefully none in the next 3-4 years.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
"On the other goal, I'd probably still be looking for the puck if the goal horn didn't go off" :laugh::laugh:

He seems like a smart kid. Not adding any pressure to himself and taking it lightly. There are many situations that would be called higher pressure than being a call up for a team mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

I'd like to see him more with the Avs.

My favorite line was:

"Guys said to me before the game that they'd give me an easy start. Then we were down on shot 9 to 1 before the 10-minute mark."

So avs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Colorado Avalanche ‏@Avalanche 30m
The @Avalanche has reassigned goaltender Sami Aittokallio to @monstershockey.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Funny thing I found. A bit late in this thread, but oh well.

Hes got a good personality. Remember him Tebowing?

img-1288644657104.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad