Confirmed with Link: Air Canada Center to change name to Scotiabank Arena

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Now they want to rename Jurassic Park, "You're Richer Than You Think Park"? WTF.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's a different time when someone can actually wax nostalgic about the loss of one corporate advertisement for another.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Arenas all get stupid sounding corporate names these days. I guess I don't really care.

I'll probably just call it "The Arena" the times when "ACC" doesn't come out automatically :laugh:

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
At least it's not the Smoothie King Center in New Orleans or KFC UM! Center in Louisville

Not to mention those arenas named after MLM scams like Herbalife and Amway. I guess it could have been worse.
Never thought I'd see the day I'd be missing The ACC but here we are.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
"The agreement with Scotiabank, which will see the downtown Toronto arena renamed the Scotiabank Arena next July 1, is believed to be the highest-priced annual building and team sponsorship in North American sports history."

Wow, good for them.

Terrible name :shakehead, but business is business

As I wrote on the BoH board, it's not even close either.

MetLife Stadium in New York (NFL's Jets/Giants) is the next highest at $450 million over 25 years.

ML$E is getting $800 million over 20.:amazed:

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I dunno, it could be kind of funny. We could troll other teams about how rich we are by calling the arena "The Bank".

Other than that though, not really digging the new name either.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
At this point all Arenas have stupid names. Even Air Canada Center was stupid, but at least you could call it the ACC which sounded somewhat unique. And then you could forget it had an incredibly stupid and corporate name :laugh:.

It's just a sign of the times. Arena names mean nothing now. They are all just incredibly generic.

Might as well just say "the Leafs are playing at their rink tonight."

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Gonna miss the complimentary pretzels and half a can of coke...

Oh, well. onward and upward.

Air Scotia Carter with the tomahawk jam! Kaboom!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Money, Money.

o-CANADIAN-CURRENCY-570.jpg

Scotiabank Arena

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Nope. Rogers Center will always be Skydome, and Scotiabank Arena will always be the ACC

Came here to post this exactly.

It will probably be called the ACC for the next 20 years.

Does anyone call it the Rogers Center on here?

Hymanbrah

Goin' In
Apr 8, 2007
Could be worse. At least it's not Rogers ____. I would have preferred 'Scotiabank Gardens' over arena, but I guess it doesn't really matter. Arena just sounds boring and generic.

Oh, and please don't call it "the bank". The world has enough cringe worthy nicknames.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
The lease on the name only lasts 20 years

Then they could lease it to Kentucky Fried Chicken and we would then have The KFCC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad