Confirmed with Link: Air Canada Center to change name to Scotiabank Arena

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
At least it's not the Smoothie King Center in New Orleans or KFC UM! Center in Louisville

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Oof. On one hand, the ACC was a nice, simple name. On the other hand, Air Canada is a ******* organization, so the less we're associated with it, the better.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Sounds lame but so does Air Canada Center.

40 million is too much to turn down though.

Wish they could just call it the Maple Leaf Center or Gardens or whatever.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I remembered when it first opened just before puck drop they would show Sundin dressed as an Pilot in the cockpit and he say something like "this is your Captain speaking, prepare for takeoff". Always liked that.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Everyone hated the name Air Canada Centre compared to the Gardens. Now people will hate this new name until they get used to it, and it will go back to being something not worth worrying about.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I remembered when it first opened just before puck drop they would show Sundin dressed as an Pilot in the cockpit and he say something like "this is your Captain speaking, prepare for takeoff". Always liked that.

That was a beauty of an add. I remember that very well. I think Tie Domi was in the aisle talking to the flight attendant or something

I guess now we can see Matthews taking the money to the Bank type of commercial

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This sucks. Air Canada Centre can be so nicely abbreviated. ACC just sounds good. What are we supposed to call the Scotiabank Arena for short (keep your clever "the Scotiabank Arena. Duh" jokes to yourself). The SBA? The Arena? Blech.

The Bank. Going to the Bank tonight to watch the Leafs :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
People sure do hate change.... Me too sometimes, I'm not a big fan of corporate naming rights, but I appreciate why they happen.

Changing from one name, to another corporate name doesn't bother me in the least though... nice chunk of change for the Leafs.

I agree, that Scotiabank Gardens would have been great.

Just like Canadian Tire Mosport Park would have been preferrable.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
"The agreement with Scotiabank, which will see the downtown Toronto arena renamed the Scotiabank Arena next July 1, is believed to be the highest-priced annual building and team sponsorship in North American sports history."

Wow, good for them.

Terrible name :shakehead, but business is business

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Will always like the ACC moniker, but it's not the first venue to undergo a name change and it certainly won't be the last. No biggie.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm with Scotia and even I hate it. Why not Scotiabank Canada Center? SCC? Ewwww!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad