Prospect Info: Aidan McDonough (will not sign this year; returning for senior year in NCAA)

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
Another season of NCAA with all those practises. / skill development.. might actually help him more than riding the bench in Abby....

Just sayin.
No idea why Ryan Johnson is so well regarded for his time in Utica/Abby given that any skater staying in the canucks farm system for any serious period of time is effectively given a black mark against them in terms of making it to the show.

Their biggest success in 8 years is Zack MacEwan. Just lmao.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I had a suspicion after the time he was taking after being eliminated

Devon Levi is returning to School
making another run doesnt sound that weird all of sudden
Jayden Struble a Montreal pick is the last bigger name that had to decide. Is he going back?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This market since Umberger has freaked out over every ncaa prospect. From Schneider, Demko, Rathbone, Lockwood, etc.

Malone from Cornell will return for another season his final in which the Canucks hold his rights. Had to spend last season back in the USHL because the Ivy League shut down for covid.
Malone can take two or three more seasons of college hockey with the added season that the NCAA granted due to the pandemic.

The Canucks retain his rights until August of his final season.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
This market since Umberger has freaked out over every ncaa prospect. From Schneider, Demko, Rathbone, Lockwood, etc.

Malone from Cornell will return for another season his final in which the Canucks hold his rights. Had to spend last season back in the USHL because the Ivy League shut down for covid.
Didn't help that Kesler signed that offer sheet with Philly a few years later.

Who is the most successful American to play in Canada?

May 31, 2006
Canucks:
Ryan Kesler

Maple Leafs:
Auston Matthews

Winnipeg Jets:
Blake Wheeler
Dustin Byfuglien
Kyle Connor

Montreal Canadiens:
Max Pacioretty

Edmonton Oilers:
Doug Weight

Calgary Flames:
Johnny Gaudreau
Gary Suter
Joel Otto
Joe Mullen
Matthew Tkachuk
Craig Conroy
What about the Senators? Shawn McEchern? Patrick Eaves? Damian Rhodes?

For the Habs it's gotta be Chris Chelios.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkMM and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
What about the Senators? Shawn McEchern? Patrick Eaves? Damian Rhodes?

I'll do the rest. None of them really rated in terms of production, though.

Winnipeg Jets (OG):
Brian Mullen
Keith Tkachuk

Quebec Nordiques:
Scott Young

Ottawa Senators:
Shawn McEachern
Bobby Ryan
Brady Tkachuk

The next leading American Canucks is Brock Boeser. For the Maple Leafs it's Kessel.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Malone can take two or three more seasons of college hockey with the added season that the NCAA granted due to the pandemic.

The Canucks retain his rights until August of his final season.
Malone has more eligibility like you said but I don’t believe that extends the time of when the Canucks own his rights.

Justin Schultz of the ducks was drafted in 2008 by Anaheim at 18. He didn’t go to Wisconsin right away. Stayed in Tier Ii for another year. He played 3 years at Wisconsin and became a ufa after his junior year.

I believe that the rule was you become ufa in the year your class finishes school which for Schultz was 2012 despite him still having a year of eligibility left.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Malone has more eligibility like you said but I don’t believe that extends the time of when the Canucks own his rights.

Justin Schultz of the ducks was drafted in 2008 by Anaheim at 18. He didn’t go to Wisconsin right away. Stayed in Tier Ii for another year. He played 3 years at Wisconsin and became a ufa after his junior year.

I believe that the rule was you become ufa in the year your class finishes school which for Schultz was 2012 despite him still having a year of eligibility left.
You may be right. I'm only going by what I've seen on CapFriendly (where players pursuing a fifth year have been extended from 2022 to 2023).

I've tried finding an article or explanation with the league's official policy but haven't found anything yet.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
No idea why Ryan Johnson is so well regarded for his time in Utica/Abby given that any skater staying in the canucks farm system for any serious period of time is effectively given a black mark against them in terms of making it to the show.

Their biggest success in 8 years is Zack MacEwan. Just lmao.
I..........Told...........You.............So!

Reactions: wetcoast

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Another season of NCAA with all those practises. / skill development.. might actually help him more than riding the bench in Abby....

Just sayin.

We did get rid of Cull in Abby so that is hopefully a major step forward for Canucks' prospects.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We did get rid of Cull in Abby so that is hopefully a major step forward for Canucks' prospects.
But I fully get not wanting to go to the A when Cull was still the HC there. He’s done nothing for the likes of Gadjovich, Lind, Woo, etc.

Scott Young was a key hire imo. Need to spend on the coaching down in the A for skill development, Skating, training.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
After seeing Gaudette being a total disapointment, I don’t have much faith in this dude as well. Just another good average college player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
McDonough was a 7th round draft pick. Too lazy to look it up, but how many 7th round draft picks even get signed, much less become contributors on an NHL team? By the time a team is picking in the 7th round, they're drafting projects, hopers and prayers.

So if McDonough is even good enough to be a key contributor in Abbotsford, then it's a big win for the scouting department.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
So management talked to Aidan’s agent in Florida last week, and looks like the plan is to sign him once his season is over, probably mid March

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
So management talked to Aidan’s agent in Florida last week, and looks like the plan is to sign him once his season is over, probably mid March
Thats good I think he would be the perfect 3rd line pp2 type of player for us in the Future

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
One can hope I guess but I simply don't see his skillset translating to the NHL and heck even in the AHL the above might be his role.
I mean him actusllt being something as a 7th rounder is a good thing for our organization.

His size, shot, and North south style of hockey could be serviceable for our bottom 6. He’s got an NHL shot that’s for sure. I mean at this point he’s an upgrade over Lazar, Lockwood, Joshua, and Dries, he’ll have plenty of opportunity to crack the roster.

Reactions: wetcoast

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
I mean him actusllt being something as a 7th rounder is a good thing for our organization.

His size, shot, and North south style of hockey could be serviceable for our bottom 6. He’s got an NHL shot that’s for sure. I mean at this point he’s an upgrade over Lazar, Lockwood, Joshua, and Dries, he’ll have plenty of opportunity to crack the roster.
I’ll take the wait and see approach. Happy to have a prospect moving up in the system but it’s a leap to claim he’ll be an upgrade on the guys you mentioned. Boeser has a great shot, good size, but poor skating like McDonough and he’s struggled. Joshua has size, decent enough hands, but not an exceptional skater.

I hope he comes in and sets the world on fire but the poor skating claim doesn’t get me too excited.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Expectations need to be managed for McDonough. He's in his draft +4 year. He's only 20 months younger than Boeser and this is Boeser's 7th year in the NHL. He's 16 months younger than Lockwood and Lockwood has played 3 years of professional hockey despite his early injury issues.

Hey, I hope his game translates. But it seems like NHL/AHL tweener is his upside. Anything beyond that is a homerun.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Expectations need to be managed for McDonough. He's in his draft +4 year. He's only 20 months younger than Boeser and this is Boeser's 7th year in the NHL. He's 16 months younger than Lockwood and Lockwood has played 3 years of professional hockey despite his early injury issues.

Hey, I hope his game translates. But it seems like NHL/AHL tweener is his upside. Anything beyond that is a homerun.

If he doesn't walk onto the AHL club and make a near immediate impact, we probably don't have much of a prospect on our hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad