News Article: AI - Computer Coaches

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
The most difficult part would be getting enough accurate and detailed data to reasonably simulate most aspects of the game. With high definition video of games it should be possible to process that into the information needed. Ideally you'd need video that has a complete view of the entire ice surface otherwise your losing a huge amount of information. I know there are occasionally camera shots showing this but I don't know if that's something that is recorded all game or if it would even be stored/made available. Even better if you could get multiple angels simultaneously. Once you have the data, it's just a matter of time.

It's an interesting problem to think about and there's realistically nothing insurmountable from preventing it. I do wonder though what the league would do in the early years, especially if a team manages to corner the market with a ton of success. Could see rules made to ban the collection of data needed or similar in order to keep the "spirit" of the game intact. Ultimately though, if it reaches that level it can't really be put back into the bottle.
The counter argument to that, is that they already invented Peter Laviolette.

What he apparently does is play everyone a few shifts at the beginning of the game, then who he sees is going gets to play more for that entire game.

He collected the data via observation the first few shifts, processed the information, made a decision for the rest of the night.

That has work for him as he is a very successful NHL head coach, with a Stanley Cup to his credit too. He has also been fired a couple times, but that is coaching in the NHL.

Wonder when they fire the first AI guy/coach/machine?

:naughty:

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
When I say revolution I mean it. I can see all that I write about clear as day in my mind's eye.
The counter points to that, lets use an example from NFL football.

They have been redesigning the helmet, and this year they finally calling the penalty when players lead with their heads and hit each other with the crown of the helmet. This is all to reduce concussions are improve the safety of the game. From my observations of watching, looks like a good job so far.

The old timers will say so what? And they are right. Finally they starting to calling spearing, which was always a penalty. It took doctors and scientist to gather data and present it to the league in a systematic fashion.

Here is a clear example of AI or analytics changing the game.

It did not exactly change how the coach will strategize the game, but nonetheless the game was changed.

With abilities to collect data nowadays, how will the game of hockey change? That is very unclear.

Suppose they collect data on goalie equipment, and the league decides the right amount of protection but the smallest type of gear possible. They should get on that in a hurry, increase scoring in the league. If they and figure something out after collecting the data.

That is no small feat. Just look at the analytics discussions on this forum. No one can figure anything out!

:rolly:

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
It’s not about the technology. It’s about who owns the technology. As they create the society.

We already see voter supression designed to maintain the ruling party. The USA refuses health care to people who can’t afford it. Etc etc

40% of their society votes for a racist, sex offender who will fight imaginary threats to their existence. A major proportion of their society believes the earth was created by a man in the sky on a 7 day work week and wants that taught in schools.

If Stephen Hawking felt AI was a major threat, we’d be wise to heed that.
This is the very best article I have ever read about this Trump thing with the tech thing.

Reposted for folks who have not read it before, it is a long one.

The Data That Turned the World Upside Down

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The counter points to that, lets use an example from NFL football.

They have been redesigning the helmet, and this year they finally calling the penalty when players lead with their heads and hit each other with the crown of the helmet. This is all to reduce concussions are improve the safety of the game. From my observations of watching, looks like a good job so far.

The old timers will say so what? And they are right. Finally they starting to calling spearing, which was always a penalty. It took doctors and scientist to gather data and present it to the league in a systematic fashion.

Here is a clear example of AI or analytics changing the game.

It did not exactly change how the coach will strategize the game, but nonetheless the game was changed.

With abilities to collect data nowadays, how will the game of hockey change? That is very unclear.

Suppose they collect data on goalie equipment, and the league decides the right amount of protection but the smallest type of gear possible. They should get on that in a hurry, increase scoring in the league. If they and figure something out after collecting the data.

That is no small feat. Just look at the analytics discussions on this forum. No one can figure anything out!

:rolly:

Interesting time to be alive, as exciting as it is frightening.

rNFL rNHL will be the more interesting forks. All the things you miss from old school sports at a faster pace and more. They can even be made to look like Humanoids. They may even give them personalities. People will start to worship the robots for a while for their entertainment value. Robot wars are already huge ratings hits. Competing robotic firms building new players all the time under guidelines.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Interesting time to be alive, as exciting as it is frightening.

rNFL rNHL will be the more interesting forks. All the things you miss from old school sports at a faster pace and more. They can even be made to look like Humanoids. They may even give them personalities. People will start to worship the robots for a while for their entertainment value. Robot wars are already huge ratings hits. Competing robotic firms building new players all the time under guidelines.
Well, you know me, I am old school to the max!

Old school to the max, yeah baby!

Nothing will ever beat something like this.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
I hope this happens so the dinosaur coaches like Egocock will die out, or even GMs like Lou that think veteran presence is more important than players with skill that help a team win games.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I wouldn't say soon, but unless they start taking the warnings from the great minds of the world seriously, yes we're F'ed. China is the one I'm most worried about, basically have free reign, Xi is urging them to use it to it's full potential where as the U.S is ironically being a little more cautious with it.
When Elon Musk, Stephen Hawking and that weirdo from Google all guarantee that AI will be improved and developed until it takes over mankind and cant be stopped... Humans are so smart but also so stupid

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Babcock is our AI coach! Just a few thousand lines of computer code needs to be debugged!

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Why bother to play the game?

The A. I. could just determine who will win with the given line ups?

We all save time and that can be used to serve our computer overlords.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad