News Article: AI - Computer Coaches

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Just some food for thought.

Imagine, if you will, real-time coaching strategies being implemented to counteract the opposing teams’ defensive system.

It takes coaching the way Babcock or any other modern NHL coach works and puts it on the shelf forever.

With integration of the biometrics, the AI coach could essentially determine which “line” is optimally rested for the next shift, and even give instruction in real-time on what plays to execute.

A team with this degree of technological edge will have a huge advantage over opposition.

AI has already completely changed strategic games, like DOTA 2. Entirely new strategies were developed for the game than were previously employed by the best of the best (human minds).

It will be very interesting in all areas of pro-sports, to see how strategies develop based on AI concepts.

It’s a real interesting time to be alive.

:)

Reactions: TMLS

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
The old timers won't let this happen for a longggg time, if ever, people still like personality and to hold people accountable. No interview with the coach after, not being able to tell kick and scream about how terrible Babz is after the game, A.I just has no mono baby.

Reactions: bigtim1988

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Its a scary time to be alive, AI is gonna take over the world soon

I wouldn't say soon, but unless they start taking the warnings from the great minds of the world seriously, yes we're F'ed. China is the one I'm most worried about, basically have free reign, Xi is urging them to use it to it's full potential where as the U.S is ironically being a little more cautious with it.

Reactions: The Rat King

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Just cryogenically freeze Don Cherry's brain and then upload it to a microchip and implant it into Coach-9000.

Give it Tortorella's personality and Babs' hair. Sorted.

Reactions: The Rat King

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I can't wait to hear the great locker room speeches that intel chip will give.

Have you seen the google AI “personal assistant” video demonstration?

We’re probably already at the point where an AI could run “motivational speech” lines and come up with some rousing scripts.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
The old timers won't let this happen for a longggg time, if ever, people still like personality and to hold people accountable. No interview with the coach after, not being able to tell kick and scream about how terrible Babz is after the game, A.I just has no mono baby.

With guys like Dubas already helming flagship teams like Toronto, it’s just a matter of time.

Yes, replacing Babcock and co. outright is a long ways away, but having “recommendations” come up on a tablet probably could be happening right now.

MLSE has the capital to get this technology working for them. If it can garner an edge, I’m sure they’ll be eager to implement it.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Why coaches? They should start at the top or the bottom. Make the owners or the players robots with AI. Although, having GMs that are AI would actually be most interesting I think

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Interesting to think about, but not at all practical outside of theory. Any time AI's have been portrayed in movies, concepts and even current prototypes, they're set by programming. The inherent advantage that humans have is the ability to be curious and adapt based on their own curiosity. The game has evolved for years because of said human innovation and counters to such.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Have you seen the google AI “personal assistant” video demonstration?

We’re probably already at the point where an AI could run “motivational speech” lines and come up with some rousing scripts.
Those Jedi tricks only work on a weak mind.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Interesting to think about, but not at all practical outside of theory. Any time AI's have been portrayed in movies, concepts and even current prototypes, they're set by programming. The inherent advantage that humans have is the ability to be curious and adapt based on their own curiosity. The game has evolved for years because of said human innovation and counters to such.

You should read up on Alpha Zero or the link to the DOTA2 AI.

The current iterations of AI that use self-teaching code are very similar to how humans learn information.

Alpha Zero taught itself advanced chess theory in a couple hours just by being taught how the pieces move and nothing more. It managed to beat the best chess engine in the world (albeit with a restrictive handicap).

If you give an AI the right data then it will very quickly figure out the optimal system(s). So plug in 5 skaters, 1 goalie for each side, the acceleration of each player, speed, size, etc. You input all those parameters and tell the AI to “play hockey” it will come up with some (beyond) genius systems for playing the game.

The AlphaZero chess games are a thing of beauty. It has changed the chess landscape for top level GMs. The theory moved quite a bit.

That’s the change that will come. And so much more.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Only if it manifests itself as a 50's style sci-fi robot speaking to the media with a vernacular featuring only "bleeps" and "bloops".

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I wouldn't say soon, but unless they start taking the warnings from the great minds of the world seriously, yes we're F'ed. China is the one I'm most worried about, basically have free reign, Xi is urging them to use it to it's full potential where as the U.S is ironically being a little more cautious with it.
It'll be fun to watch the Terminator movies happen in real life. Man, what an awesome 3D effect it would have!

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
With guys like Dubas already helming flagship teams like Toronto, it’s just a matter of time.

Yes, replacing Babcock and co. outright is a long ways away, but having “recommendations” come up on a tablet probably could be happening right now.

MLSE has the capital to get this technology working for them. If it can garner an edge, I’m sure they’ll be eager to implement it.
Yeah but, what if it gets
blue-screen.jpg
during the game?

Blue_Screen_of_Death

:laugh:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Players play. Until it’s virtual... meh.

giphy.gif

Movie reference is ...?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I love it. I want AI doctors, AI Lawyers, Teachers and pretty much everything else. They are the logical counterbalance to the human condition. Nothing could be better to put humanity in check and govern.

AI Lawyer scored higher in legal comprehension recently. 94% accuracy.

These are alpha models. Once refined the machine will be able to apply law properly.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I love it. I want AI doctors, AI Lawyers, Teachers and pretty much everything else. They are the logical counterbalance to the human condition. Nothing could be better to put humanity in check and govern.

AI Lawyer scored higher in legal comprehension recently. 94% accuracy.

These are alpha models. Once refined the machine will be able to apply law properly.

Someone has to input the “facts” of the case.

2 AI programmed lawyers arguing with each other in some never ending quantum loop? With AI law enforcement to do the investigation? Programmed by ...? And laws made up by AI parliamentarians voted on by AI citizens? Created by power brokers with money who want to keep their money and power?

Trump’s probably working on that now.

Sounds amazing to the “fine people on both sides”. Power and politics, always looking out for the benefit of the common good.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Someone has to input the “facts” of the case.

2 AI programmed lawyers arguing with each other in some never ending quantum loop? With AI law enforcement to do the investigation? Programmed by ...? And laws made up by AI parliamentarians voted on by AI citizens? Created by power brokers with money who want to keep their money and power?

Trump’s probably working on that now.

Sounds amazing to the “fine people on both sides”. Power and politics, always looking out for the benefit of the common good.

Well I would hope some class of Human will be interfaced to add human element. The AI will at least be able to ensure the mind is rational.

The old ways are done. The only thing left will be the revolutionary war and thinning of the herd, unfortunately. It's how we progress and transition though. The old guard will resist. Progress and technology can only be surpressed for so long and once energy sources are secured. The paradigm will shift.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Well I would hope some class of Human will be interfaced to add human element. The AI will at least be able to ensure the mind is rational.

The old ways are done. The only thing left will be the revolutionary war and thinning of the herd, unfortunately. It's how we progress and transition though. The old guard will resist. Progress and technology can only be surpressed for so long and once energy sources are secured. The paradigm will shift.

It’s not about the technology. It’s about who owns the technology. As they create the society.

We already see voter supression designed to maintain the ruling party. The USA refuses health care to people who can’t afford it. Etc etc

40% of their society votes for a racist, sex offender who will fight imaginary threats to their existence. A major proportion of their society believes the earth was created by a man in the sky on a 7 day work week and wants that taught in schools.

If Stephen Hawking felt AI was a major threat, we’d be wise to heed that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It’s not about the technology. It’s about who owns the technology. As they create the society.

We already see voter supression designed to maintain the ruling party. The USA refuses health care to people who can’t afford it. Etc etc

40% of their society votes for a racist, sex offender who will fight imaginary threats to their existence. A major proportion of their society believes the earth was created by a man in the sky on a 7 day work week and wants that taught in schools.

If Stephen Hawking felt AI was a major threat, we’d be wise to heed that.

I don't feel overly comfortable getting into the political conversation here or about Hawking, but I will. I will say that I think special interest groups are much more relevant. Hawking, yeah I dont really acknowledge much of his work past the early 80s TBH.

Not really sure about the man in the sky or any of that either. I believe in a creator or grand architect and that all of this was created intelligently. It's all a system, it's obviously of intelligence.

Accusations don't really hold much water with me. I trust the legal system to work for the most part but believe there to be corruption at some level of course.

If it comes down to who holds the keys to AI, you probably had better hope it's the truly benevolent body of a Religious sect with set morals compared to people that change the game to suit them as they see fit.

AI is a threat? So are sociopaths and dictators, disease and famine.

AI coaches will be superior. They'll sense who is trying. Who has good timing. Who is in position and who has a game suitable to an other. AI will know what's going on in real time. If we have human coaches they will be ceremonial for the most part, play the hunch from time to time.

Pretty simplistic stuff. Hope we use AI to take the workload off as we focus more spiritualy and creatively. If it goes the other way we will be looking at a concious nightmare.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
The most difficult part would be getting enough accurate and detailed data to reasonably simulate most aspects of the game. With high definition video of games it should be possible to process that into the information needed. Ideally you'd need video that has a complete view of the entire ice surface otherwise your losing a huge amount of information. I know there are occasionally camera shots showing this but I don't know if that's something that is recorded all game or if it would even be stored/made available. Even better if you could get multiple angels simultaneously. Once you have the data, it's just a matter of time.

It's an interesting problem to think about and there's realistically nothing insurmountable from preventing it. I do wonder though what the league would do in the early years, especially if a team manages to corner the market with a ton of success. Could see rules made to ban the collection of data needed or similar in order to keep the "spirit" of the game intact. Ultimately though, if it reaches that level it can't really be put back into the bottle.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The most difficult part would be getting enough accurate and detailed data to reasonably simulate most aspects of the game. With high definition video of games it should be possible to process that into the information needed. Ideally you'd need video that has a complete view of the entire ice surface otherwise your losing a huge amount of information. I know there are occasionally camera shots showing this but I don't know if that's something that is recorded all game or if it would even be stored/made available. Even better if you could get multiple angels simultaneously. Once you have the data, it's just a matter of time.

It's an interesting problem to think about and there's realistically nothing insurmountable from preventing it. I do wonder though what the league would do in the early years, especially if a team manages to corner the market with a ton of success. Could see rules made to ban the collection of data needed or similar in order to keep the "spirit" of the game intact. Ultimately though, if it reaches that level it can't really be put back into the bottle.

We are getting to a point where even muscle twitches will be an event. Sensors will detect even if your eyes are on the play or if you are distracted. Actually your focus will be measured even. All of this from wearing wirelessly powered sensor suite woven into fabric and a bucket that has tools to measure brain activity. Perhaps we will have augments in our bodies by then as well.

We are 15 years tops from that reality. The only thing to stop it will be if the league stops it. The more interesting thing will be the ultra violent robot hockey league as competition. Imagine humanoid players full gear than are faster, shoot harder and fight and hit with thunderous power.

When I say revolution I mean it. I can see all that I write about clear as day in my mind's eye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad