Post-Game Talk: {AHL} Utica Comets (5 - 4) Laval Rocket

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
It's easier to sign an AHL vet than get a top end prospect for the AHL unfortunately.

I'd just like to see them play in a winning environment for a change.

The thing is we were full on AHL veterans at the start of the season, you can't start the season with too many because it is unfair to the players to get healthy scratch, they probably won't sign with you anyway. CJ liking Chaput/Agostino and Grenier/Shinkaruk underperforming are what affecting your perception about the veterans, you couldn't really do much more before the season starts in regards to the veterans.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think it's more the blueline, like what we saw with the Habs last year, guys that usually score aren't as the blueline struggles to move the puck. Getting Mete helps, but without Kulak and Fleury it hasn't been pretty when you are rolling Plant Lamarche as your top pairing.

Well seems they got AHL depth on blueline then called them up.

I assume Olofsson is still injured?

The thing is we were full on AHL veteran at the start of the season, you can't start the season with too many because it is unfair for to the players, they probably won't sign with you anyway. CJ liking Chaput/Agostino and Grenier/Shinkaruk underperforming are what affecting your perception about the veterans, you couldn't really do much more before the season starts in regards to the veterans.

I get it. Just seems like there is an excuse every year. We got rid of SL and same results. We look better? Sure. Results are important though.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Grenier and Shinkaruk have been major disappointments, thought they would at least be 30ish pt players. McCarron also had that rough spell with 1 pt in 12 games and he just can't do that while being in a top 6 role for Laval.

Reactions: jaffy27

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I get it. Just seems like there is an excuse every year. We got rid of SL and same results. We look better? Sure. Results are important though.

Last year Terry/Toarmina/Cracknell/Gelinas(+some Holland/Froese/Rychel) was more than good enough, again it is just that our AHL prospects are garbage. Lindgren is very meh as well.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well seems they got AHL depth on blueline then called them up.

I assume Olofsson is still injured?

Olofsson is out for the season, played 1 game, so glad they gave away Bitten for that. Great asset management when we could have picked him off waivers for nothing. Although Bitten has done nothing in the AHL so far, an may never it still seemed like a poor decision as they knew Alzner sucked balls, why not pick Olofsson off waivers and send Alzner down at the start of the year. They could put Bitten in the ECHL to play a lot and see if his speed gets him to the NHL in 3 or 4 years.

This team is much better looking then last year but at some point they have to start scoring more. They do so today and still lose, that's troubling especially against a division rival.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Grenier and Shinkaruk have been major disappointments, thought they would at least be 30ish pt players. McCarron also had that rough spell with 1 pt in 12 games and he just can't do that while being in a top 6 role for Laval.

At a certain point, it's managements job to also improve the AHL squad.

Rychel seems lightyears better than Shinkaruk.

Stuff like this on an already weak team hurts.

Last year Terry/Toarmina/Cracknell/Gelinas(+some Holland/Froese/Rychel) was more than good enough, again it is just that our AHL prospects are garbage. Lindgren is very meh as well.

Yeah but you can't magically add prospects. Hopefully with all those picks we had the AHL team will be better in the coming years.

Olofsson is out for the season, played 1 game, so glad they gave away Bitten for that. Great asset management when we could have picked him off waivers for nothing. Although Bitten has done nothing in the AHL so far, an may never it still seemed like a poor decision as they knew Alzner sucked balls, why not pick Olofsson off waivers and send Alzner down at the start of the year. They could put Bitten in the ECHL to play a lot and see if his speed gets him to the NHL in 3 or 4 years.

This team is much better looking then last year but at some point they have to start scoring more. They do so today and still lose, that's troubling especially against a division rival.

Didn't know Olofsson was out for the season, that blows.

I agree on the trade and for your last comment which is my point. I'm hoping for us to sneak into a playoff spot but it seems like I may be dreaming.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
At a certain point, it's managements job to also improve the AHL squad.

Rychel seems lightyears better than Shinkaruk.

Stuff like this on an already weak team hurts.

Didn't know Olofsson was out for the season, that blows.

I agree on the trade and for your last comment which is my point. I'm hoping for us to sneak into a playoff spot but it seems like I may be dreaming.

I just had someone giving me crap for calling the Shinkaruk-Rychel trade terrible the other day. Now we don't know if MB was doing more of a favor for Rychel, but then he trades the AHL defensmen of the year in Taormina along with Valiev, now Kulak is ok but giving up 2 vet blueliners and one of your top scorers in Taormina stings badly.

This team would look much better if Rychel and Taormina were still here. I can see why they took a flyer on Olofsson, hoping that all those shoulder injuries wouldn't impact him but they gambled and lost on that one which then hurts Laval since he traded away 2 of our top blueliners for Kulak who was a very good D for us don't get me wrong. I was really starting to like the Kulak Fleury pairing.

We'll see if they can make the playoffs or not, I think they can but this game was a backbreaker as they played really well against LV last night and up until under a minute left in the game they really did a great job shutting down the top scoring team in the league. And most nights they just look the part, they out shoot, out chance but their terrible PP and lack of scoring just continue to bite them in the ass.

The play by play for LV said last night that Laval is the best team in the league for shots against and that he had heard how well they play defensively but just can't score and he talked about how he can see how that's true since that's what they were doing last night, throwing everything at the LV goalie and in the 3rd at one point LV had something like 2 shots late in the period. They had 7 PPs and couldn't get it done and that cost them the game.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Big Mac should just play the full year in the AHL, work out in the summer including on his skating, and be given one last shot at making the Habs. Would be great if he could centre the 4th line, and with his size he could be used situationally as well.

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad