GDT: AHL Playoffs - Albany Devils vs. Utica Comets: Game One

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Wait I thought they did provide the radio. That's awful if true

If they do it's well-hidden. I go to audio broadcasts and there's no link available. They had the radio for the regular season but it doesn't seem to be there now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Can't wait to see this team next year with Wood, Quenneville, Lappin, a healthy Coleman, a 2nd year Kujawinski, Santini, Pietila...unless of course some are with the big club...but we've had 3 influxes of talent in a row and each one has gotten better.

The next one will be the best yet I believe.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Can't wait to see this team next year with Wood, Quenneville, Lappin, a healthy Coleman, a 2nd year Kujawinski, Santini, Pietila...unless of course some are with the big club...but we've had 3 influxes of talent in a row and each one has gotten better.

Oh yaaa I keep forgetting about Coleman. What a shame about his injury, I was really looking forward to see how he'd fare as a pro this season.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Happy that they won a key Game1 to set the tone.

Got to go for the jugular tomorrow and impose their will on the series.
Will watch the highlights tomorrow.

Was told it was an energetic crowd of around 5k.

Larger crowd expected tomorrow.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

That team will not likely be anywhere close to this one in terms of wins and losses or ability, though Wood and Quenneville and Santini have some promise.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That team will not likely be anywhere close to this one in terms of wins and losses or ability, though Wood and Quenneville and Santini have some promise.

I think it's debatable.

Still will be a very strong team, will depend on the AHL vets like Gragnani, O'Brien, etc. that Shero adds. Blackwood might play there as well.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I think it's debatable.

Still will be a very strong team, will depend on the AHL vets like Gragnani, O'Brien, etc. that Shero adds. Blackwood might play there as well.

Isn't Blackwood too young? I swear I saw that somewhere. Even so, he probably won't make the jump next season.

They should still have a very strong team next season regardless

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think it's debatable.

I don't think it is. The A-Devils are definitely losing Boucher and if they have any sanity, O'Neill. I doubt Blandisi spends much time there. Boucher + O'Neill (since one guy replaced the other at the AHL level, they're combined) is one of the best players in the AHL, they scored 32 goals and had 32 assists in 76 games - hard to replace. Plus they ran up against the development rule for much of the season, meaning a veteran often had to sit out - I don't think they'll want to do that again. More to the point, this season's team featured no first-year pros on defense, and next year's team will have probably 2 guys and maybe 3.

And of course they won't have Severson for a playoff run.

This is their year - glad to see they started things off right here.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't think it is. The A-Devils are definitely losing Boucher and if they have any sanity, O'Neill. I doubt Blandisi spends much time there. Boucher + O'Neill (since one guy replaced the other at the AHL level, they're combined) is one of the best players in the AHL, they scored 32 goals and had 32 assists in 76 games - hard to replace. Plus they ran up against the development rule for much of the season, meaning a veteran often had to sit out - I don't think they'll want to do that again. More to the point, this season's team featured no first-year pros on defense, and next year's team will have probably 2 guys and maybe 3.

And of course they won't have Severson for a playoff run.

This is their year - glad to see they started things off right here.

I don't think the team will ever be as good as it is now.

At the same time, the team earned this record they have now with Boucher and Blandisi on the NHL team for half the year. Coleman has been out injured since November. Sislo only played 50 games in Albany this year and O'Neill only played 42. They're going to add a lot of young talent next year (Quenneville, Wood, Santini, essentially Coleman too) and guys like Lappin and Kujawinski will likely produce more in expanded roles.

I think they have what it would take to post a similar regular season record next year. They're not going to get the extra reinforcements that they were able to get this year of course.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
attendance was 4794 for game 1, not bad

in fact, comparing the other 3 games going, we had the most attendance!

edit: it's prob gonna be this way for this whole series now that i think about it, considering how close utica is

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I think I just realized the disconnect I have when I discuss this with you.

When I say "better" I don't mean actual record....I mean # of potential NHL players. That is the be all, end all. Nothing else matters.

You seem to be talking actual points and wins...well this year was somewhat franchise record setting, I don't think it would be wise to expect more in terms of wins and points...

I've payed attention to Portland when that was our affiliate, Utica, Albany, Lowell and Albany again...when the Rats won the Calder my reaction was "that's nice"
Same for this season.

I've never cared about the literal success of any of our AHL affiliates and I don't right now...the only thing I care about is the number of potential players that can carve themselves an NHL career. This is why when you say Tropp, O'Brien or Gragnani might be gone my reaction is always who gives a rat's ass, they are career minor leaguers that you can find anywhere.

Success of an ahl team is not wins and losses, it is what they can provide to the big club...that's it...I could care less if Paul Thompson if scores 30 goals or Whitney averages a point per game they are never going to have a NHL career...those players may help a minor league team win, but who cares.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think I just realized the disconnect I have when I discuss this with you.

When I say "better" I don't mean actual record....I mean # of potential NHL players. That is the be all, end all. Nothing else matters.

You seem to be talking actual points and wins...well this year was somewhat franchise record setting, I don't think it would be wise to expect more in terms of wins and points...

I've payed attention to Portland when that was our affiliate, Utica, Albany, Lowell and Albany again...when the Rats won the Calder my reaction was "that's nice"
Same for this season.

I've never cared about the literal success of any of our AHL affiliates and I don't right now...the only thing I care about is the number of potential players that can carve themselves an NHL career. This is why when you say Tropp, O'Brien or Gragnani might be gone my reaction is always who gives a rat's ass, they are career minor leaguers that you can find anywhere.

Success of an ahl team is not wins and losses, it is what they can provide to the big club...that's it...I could care less if Paul Thompson if scores 30 goals or Whitney averages a point per game they are never going to have a NHL career...those players may help a minor league team win, but who cares.

People who don't just like the Devils but all aspects of their organization? I'd imagine there is a larger portion of fans who would love to see Albany do well for the sake of some excitement without regard to who turns into an NHLer. Don't be such a stick in the mud.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Last nights highlights. Zacha made some of the Utica players look like peewee hockey players with some of his moves. Cant wait till he's up with the big league full time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad