GDT: AHL Playoffs - Albany Devils vs. Utica Comets: Game One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
It's playoff time boys and girls! AHL playoffs but still the playoffs!

It will be our Albany Devils

AlbanyDevils.PNG

Up against the Utica Comets

UticaComets.PNG

I'm unsure of who Albany's lineup will consist of but we do know there will be a few key guys to keep an eye out

Pavel Zacha

pavel_zacha_new_jersey_062615.jpg

Damon Severson

460280624-damon-severson-of-the-new-jersey-devils-plays-the-puck.jpg

Joe Blandisi

_62085111_149911428.jpg

And Reid Boucher, among others

Detroit+Red+Wings+v+New+Jersey+Devils+ffxbPLJqZy0l.jpg

Let's start this series off right, margin for error is much less in a 5 game set! Let's go Devils!!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Albany set franchise records with victories (46), points (102), fewest goals against (167) and wins at home (27).

The 46 wins are tied (1994-95 and 1998-99) for second most in Albany AHL history.

Their 102 points, recorded in 76 games, rank fourth all-time in Albany AHL history.

Within those 27 home victories, Albany tied the 1995-96 squad with a run of eleven consecutive home wins.

Head Coach Rick Kowalsky earned the Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award, as AHL Coach of the Year - The last Albany coach to win the Pieri was Robbie Ftorek in 1996. He also won it the year before in 1995 -- Albany also won the Calder Cup in 1995

Seeing a lot of "since the 1990's" in some of these numbers.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm cautiously optimistic & def pumped up for this series.

Utica is a good team, but IMO if Albany gives a 100% effort each night they should advance.
One game at a time.

Good to have any type of Devils playoffs hockey, makes it better with the handful of players that spent some time up in NJ this season.

I also wonder if Horvat, Virtanen, McCann and Demko will play this series for Utica.

Good thing Shinkaruk got dealt to Calgary earlier this season.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Does horvat, McCan play tonight?

i read somewhere that everyone for utica is skating. helpful read btw

http://www.uticacomets.com/news/detail/round-1-playoff-notebook-1

FRIDAY, 4/22 - GAMEDAY

11:44am: Richard Bachman was the first goaltender to head to the locker room for the Comets. Indicates he is your starting goalie tonight. His career 1.99 goals against average, and .936 save percentage in 18 AHL Calder Cup Playoffs games will be tested by the Devils tonight.

Skaters getting extra work: Currier, Lain, Landry, Pereira, Valk, Hamilton,and Bubela.

10:57am: The Devils are on the ice wrapping up their morning skate. In a bit of a surprise, the Devils appear to be starting Scott Wedgewood in net net tonight. Yann Danis was the first goaltender off the ice. 6'4", 230-lb. defenseman Raman Hrabarenka is getting extra work in, as well as Corbin McPherson. It appears neither will play tonight.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Horvat burns us, we lost the trade.:sarcasm:

It would be nice to see Hoeffel get hot.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Might as well watch Wayne Simmonds tonight. ;)

I purposely posted that part about Hoeffel, just to get your attention personally. Since I know he's one of your favorite Devils prospects of all time.:laugh:

I came across something about Hoeffel just a few minutes ago. Maybe it's a sign, even though he no longer is in the organization?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Awesome footage. :yo:

Not to hijack the thread and beat a dead horse, but, they should go back to the River Rats name, if they are legally allowed to.

I don't think they ever will and I don't think they should.

If Shero and the Devils continue their social media and community outreach (and keep the team competitive), I think that will generate enough buzz to attract fans to the games.

Sure, the sentimental factor would be there if they changed the name back, but it's better to brand the Devils. Just look at Wilkes-Barre and that team has been pretty successful even if it's in Flyers territory because the Penguins have kept the team competitive.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Puck drops in less than 3 hours.

If you bought tix that are at the Will Call window, hurry up and get there early.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think they ever will and I don't think they should.

If Shero and the Devils continue their social media and community outreach (and keep the team competitive), I think that will generate enough buzz to attract fans to the games.

Sure, the sentimental factor would be there if they changed the name back, but it's better to brand the Devils. Just look at Wilkes-Barre and that team has been pretty successful even if it's in Flyers territory because the Penguins have kept the team competitive.

Considering it was the prior regime that changed the name over who knows...though like you say Shero had a minor league team in Pittsburgh and never changed the Penguin name from that so maybe he likes the cross-branding. I think they should go back to River Rats to give the minor league team some seperate personality and to throw back to the glory days, but ultimately it really doesn't matter either way. What's going to sell the product is like always, having a competitive team and engaging the fanbase.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
How far is the drive from Utica to Albany?
hour and a half?

Tix are available for both games this weekend in Albany.

May be tight in Utica since their rink only seats around 4k, right?

Im actually on the right side of Utica so Albany is less then a hour away. I know a few guys who are STH for the comets so i might be able to pry a extra tickets too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad