Post-Game Talk: {AHL} Laval Rocket 5 (SO) 4. Providence Bruins: Evans Saves Laval from Embarassment in the Shootout

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
Baby habs just like daddy habs...dont give this away. Close it out for God's sake

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I do agree that a lot of Quebec media people are as extreme as Don Cherry. But there would definitely be a whole lot of this during the game and in intermissions if there were a handful of Canadians playing in a Serie A football match and around the league.

Honestly, I don't see the comparison. And I don't know why every time this point is being made, people automatically bring up Don Cherry who doesn't do play by play and who only has a 6-7 min. gig on CBC. And for the record, I don't agree with Cherry's agenda.

Your example of Canadians playing Serie A is flawed to the nth degree. Soccer is not our national sport. Hockey is a full year affair in Quebec. By Leroux's own count there are something like 69 Quebec born players in the AHL which is not an insignificant amount. Not to mention that he also began another roll call naming Quebec born coaches and assistant coaches on other teams. It's an infatuation that is grotesque and a caricature unto itself.

We get it, Leroux has a lot of friends in the minor leagues and he likes to please them by rattling off their names during a broadcast. Not to mention how he's always blurting his son's name at least once every broadcast. After a while, it just takes away from the broadcast and is not very professional.

How about some factoids about the league's best players, some lesser known stuff, updates about the Rocket, what he's seen in practice, who he spoke to within the Rocket, etc. Stuff that fans might enjoy to know about their team. Use your privileged access to the facility and staff to bring the fan closer to the experience, rather than do favors to his friends by naming them relentlessly during broadcasts.

Reactions: Oryxo

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
What a melt down! After the first, Providence looked utterly horrible. I couldn’t tell if Laval was that good or they were that bad. Lindgren. Won’t see the nhl again.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly, I don't see the comparison. And I don't know why every time this point is being made, people automatically bring up Don Cherry who doesn't do play by play and who only has a 6-7 min. gig on CBC. And for the record, I don't agree with Cherry's agenda.

Your example of Canadians playing Serie A is flawed to the nth degree. Soccer is not our national sport. Hockey is a full year affair in Quebec. By Leroux's own count there are something like 69 Quebec born players in the AHL which is not an insignificant amount. Not to mention that he also began another roll call naming Quebec born coaches and assistant coaches on other teams. It's an infatuation that is grotesque and a caricature unto itself.

We get it, Leroux has a lot of friends in the minor leagues and he likes to please them by rattling off their names during a broadcast. Not to mention how he's always blurting his son's name at least once every broadcast. After a while, it just takes away from the broadcast and is not very professional.

How about some factoids about the league's best players, some lesser known stuff, updates about the Rocket, what he's seen in practice, who he spoke to within the Rocket, etc. Stuff that a fan might enjoy to know about his team.

Quebec fans enjoy this stuff, in addition to the stuff you mentioned at the end that you'd like to hear. An analogy you might be able to see better is the Olympics. Canadian broadcasts cover the best as well as the Canadian althletes, even if the Canadian is like 12th best in the world. In the U.S., it's the best and the U.S. athletes....

And yeah, if Don Cherry did play-by-play, colour, and intermissions, this is what it would sound like...

I wasn't implying you have the same agenda or perspectives as Cherry. But every ethnic group does this, including English Canadians.

Hockey may be Quebec's national sport, but Quebecers are a minority, hence the anology with Canadians in European soccer.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Quebec fans enjoy this stuff, in addition to the stuff you mentioned at the end that you'd like to hear. An analogy you might be able to see better is the Olympics. Canadian broadcasts cover the best as well as the Canadian althletes, even if the Canadian is like 12th best in the world. In the U.S., it's the best and the U.S. athletes.

Hockey may be Quebec's national sport, but Quebecers are a minority, hence the anology with Canadians in European soccer.

Again, the Olympics is not a year-round event, it's a one-time every 4 year event. Big difference. Also, the Olympics is about nations, pro hockey is about winning.

It always goes back to the same inferiority complex and senseless projection. We're watching pro hockey, not a national team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad