Post-Game Talk: {AHL} Hartford Wolf Pack 1 - 4 Laval Rocket: Laval Gives Hartford Their First Regulation Loss

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Nice pic of your living room that you posted on your FB account. :sarcasm:

otGcJZ8.jpg

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Translation:

Q: This is a win where everyone contributed. It was another tightly contested game. But this time, it went your way.

JB: Yes. And against a good team. They hadn't lost yet. It was 1-0, but I felt we could have been up by two, three goals. It felt good being able to score those goals in the third period. We had a lot of scoring chances and we didn't give up many. I also think our special teams did a great job. In hockey, we need to stay positive, but also be objective. I'm positive in regards to the game, but objective knowing we still have things to work on.

Q: You spoke about special teams. Often, in the AHL, the special teams are what make the difference. That should be an element that should pay dividends for you guys because you're at the top of the league in both categories.

JB: I also feel like on 5-on-5, we created a lot in Providence last game and tonight. So slowly, that is also coming along. Now it's about finishing our chances more. However, the goalie on the other side, people may not know this about him, but he's played in the KHL for years, and he's a really, really good goalie. So I'm happy we were able to score three goals against him tonight. Even the empty-net goal. We haven't scored in one so far this season when we were holding onto a lead. Overall, our team game is progressing since the start of the season.

Q: The Alain and Hudon goals were similar in that they forced a turnover. Do you feel like at some point, it was due for it to payoff for you guys?

JB: It is something I've been asking them to do. The way to play facets of our game. We want to be a difficult team to play against. That we don't give the other team much. I know it's a demanding style. But when the guys play that style, it works. The guys know the recipe and they are slowly adapting to it. What it also gives us is a better chance to win close games or on some nights when some guys aren't feeling it or struggling a bit. This style discourages the opponent and it's what we did tonight.

Q: I'd like to bring up Poehling. You didn't really use him much in the third period.

JB: No. It wasn't his best game. I know he is a top prospect. He's only 20. I like him a lot. But there are games where I have to coach. It's a development program, but we're here to win. And I have to be go with the elements I have in front of me. And it's okay, Ryan will play again on Friday. He will continue his development. There were times the game was going a little fast for him. And at times, it's also to protect the player from the situation. It's a competitive league in the pros and he is learning that. It's also part of the course needed to become an NHL player. If you look at it, there were other players that were benched in favor of him last game in Providence. When we get to the end, my job is to assess who is more apt tonight. When he will have good games, he will be there in the end. The good news is this is why he's here. Tomorrow we'll do some video with him and show him what he needs to improve on. And I will talk to him tonight. Same thing for Peca. I will talk to him tonight, too. And we start all over again next game.

Q: One guy who did play a lot tonight is Juulsen. Are you satisfied with where he is? Personally, I feel like he's ahead of where I thought he'd be.

JB: He played like he needs to play. He's a Shepherd's Pie (meat, corn, and potatoes). It's what we tell him all the time in the room. It's his style of play. I've known him for a long time. He's a guy who keeps it simple and solid with and without the puck. That is really the key to his success. And guys like that, you need them. When you get into the playoffs, they're player's that do important things and offer big plays. I even have a specific play in mind for him. At the end of the game, when we were on the penalty kill, the puck was leaving the zone. I know the fans see those plays. But for us, it was a crucial moment because they got a bit of momentum and we needed to break that. Juulsen was a reason why they broke it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00