AHL AllStar Game in St. John's, NL UPD: vs Färjestad BK

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
It's a terrible idea. Not to mention it should be all star team versus all star team. I care even less now than if they would've just kept the same format.

I was being sarcastic if you weren't aware of that.....this is an awful idea!!!! Truthfully I hope no chicago players make it and that none of them have to be a party to this circus.

Another money fueled idea thrown out by the AHL. And before anyone asks what I mean by that......It's simple the ahl got caught in a bad position by awarding the game to st.john's( This decision was made months ago I'm sure) and now looking at the cost of getting not 1 but 2 full teams to the island along with room and board, they decided to float this whole idea to teams in europe to see who would bite.
It probably went something like......"Hey how would you like to bring your team to canada and play a game against a team of ahl all stars? Well.... all it would cost is your airfare here and we'll take care of the rooms. It's a chance for you to match up against high caliber talent and see where you stand....really you'll do it....great we'll get it set up and announce it in a few weeks or so".(hangs up phone....."Whew that was a close one....can't believe we actually suckered them into bailing us out of this mess.....Now how do we sell this pile of crap to our fans?")

Thanks to whoever made this colossal bonehead call.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
You obviously know nothing about St John's because the game will likely be sold out just from the fans there. Plus the AHL doesn't "award" the game, a team has to express interest in hosting it and have a viable financial plan in place to pay for the game. The AHL pays for virtually nothing, it's all on the host team.

It's OK to think the AHL All stars playing Färjestad is a bad idea, but let's stop the ranting that isn't based in any sort of reality. StJ wanted the game (and I'm betting there very few, if any, other takers) and it seems like they have a plan in place that will make it work.

How about we find out more info on what the plans are before we work ourselves into a lather?

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
You obviously know nothing about St John's because the game will likely be sold out just from the fans there. Plus the AHL doesn't "award" the game, a team has to express interest in hosting it and have a viable financial plan in place to pay for the game. The AHL pays for virtually nothing, it's all on the host team.

It's OK to think the AHL All stars playing Färjestad is a bad idea, but let's stop the ranting that isn't based in any sort of reality. StJ wanted the game (and I'm betting there very few, if any, other takers) and it seems like they have a plan in place that will make it work.

How about we find out more info on what the plans are before we work ourselves into a lather?

Of course it'll be sold out.....if canada can't sell 6200 tickets to a hockey game then there's a problem. And as for the ahl awarding the game....uh....yes it does, while there has to be an interest from the team in question the ahl can "award" it to another team as well.And while we are on that subject....seems like maybe the ahl needs to take a step back with it's heavy handedness regarding the game. There is a tremendous apathy from teams about hosting the game...WHY? Instead of lining up to play host to the best the league has to offer, most if not all, teams have a meh attitude towards it. WHY??

Last edited:

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
Of course it'll be sold out.....if canada can't sell 6200 tickets to a hockey game then there's a problem. And as for the ahl awarding the game....uh....yes it does, while there has to be an interest from the team in question the ahl can "award" it to another team as well.

What makes you think another team wanted it? After all, this is the league that held an ASG in Atlantic City becasue they couldn't find a taker.

And while we are on that subject....seems like maybe the ahl needs to take a step back with it's heavy handedness regarding the game. There is a tremendous apathy from teams about hosting the game...WHY? Instead of lining up to play host to the best the league has to offer, most if not all, teams have a meh attitude towards it. WHY??

Because it's an All Star Game. Just as in other sports, ASG's in hockey are just boring. The high points of the ones I've seen live have been the venue (Portland) and the visiting mascots (T-Bone & Bruiser in particular). The games themselves are dishwater dull, and the skills competition would be a total loss if they hadn't taken the glass out and encouraged the players to interact with the fans. This one might be slightly more competitive due to having an actual team for an opponent.

brec7

Nov 28, 2006
Sydney, NS
In terms of a showpiece event for the league, it takes a hit because less AHL players are showcased (and you're probably looking at a roster that will represent barely half the teams/fanbases in the league.) But as an actual game at least there's some sort of league pride on the line.

Imagine if in the future the AHL all-stars beat a KHL team? Hf would explode. :D

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
In terms of a showpiece event for the league, it takes a hit because less AHL players are showcased (and you're probably looking at a roster that will represent barely half the teams/fanbases in the league.) But as an actual game at least there's some sort of league pride on the line.

Imagine if in the future the AHL all-stars beat a KHL team? Hf would explode. :D

KHL will NEVER send a team to play against AHL. KHL is high level, if interleague games, only with NHL.

brec7

Nov 28, 2006
Sydney, NS
KHL will NEVER send a team to play against AHL. KHL is high level, if interleague games, only with NHL.

I doubt it would happen as well. The KHL is between the two leagues in terms of perception- the NHL takes a hit reputation wise if they find a way to a lose a meaningful game against a KHL team and the KHL takes a hit reputation wise if they find a way to a lose a meaningful game to an AHL team.

With all-star competitions like this it's all about chemistry- in theory if an AHL all-star team gets enough practice together to become a true unit they could probably beat any NHL team in a one game showdown as the club is essentially a low level NHL team, talent wise. If you accept they have decent chemistry, they should be favoured to beat most European clubs including some lower ones from the KHL I would say.

What's most interesting is how seriously the two clubs will take the game. It also seems like a big expense for Färjestad for just one game, even in the NHL when eastern teams make the trip out west it`s for multiple games.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Of course it'll be sold out.....if canada can't sell 6200 tickets to a hockey game then there's a problem. And as for the ahl awarding the game....uh....yes it does, while there has to be an interest from the team in question the ahl can "award" it to another team as well.And while we are on that subject....seems like maybe the ahl needs to take a step back with it's heavy handedness regarding the game. There is a tremendous apathy from teams about hosting the game...WHY? Instead of lining up to play host to the best the league has to offer, most if not all, teams have a meh attitude towards it. WHY??

Why? The cost and effort to put on the game.

And the NHL, NBA, and MLB "award" their all star games, the AHL begs someone to take it. A big difference.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
That is the AHL great marketing logic - put the game in a place that is difficult to get to and probably foes not have the tourism infrastructure to support an influx of even 2,000 people.

Cities like Milwaukee, Des Moines, Chicago, Austin, Charlotte would be horrible places for an all star game...... :sarcasm:

Des Moines would be.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Another fantastic job by the AHL.....not only do we put the All-star game in a place nobody can get to, but let's change the format and shaft a bunch of guys in the A of their spot on the team. All so we can play a game against a team with players that....
A) Nobody's ever heard of or B) Couldn't play here to begin with.
Glad they thought it through.

Farjestad will probably win.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Exactly.....cost. The ahl wants to tell them teams how to do it and expects them to also pay for it. No wonder nobody wants to host the thing. The ahl needs to figure its crap out on the game....either A) pull back and let the host team do it, shut up and just show up and enjoy it( not likely).....B) start financially supporting the game(also not likely) or C) just cancel the whole idea as no longer viable.

As for the game itself.....the team in sweden has already been quoted as saying they are playing to win and the likes.
While the game in it's current state is a skills competition at best.....how are you going to feel if, in the name of a competitve game, your top player gets drilled into the boards and misses the rest of the season. All because some clown, who couldn't play in this league to begin with, or some guy nobody's ever heard of,is "playing to win."

It's no wonder teams want nothing to do with the game.....they don't want to invest the time, money and staff to put on the game and have the ahl invest nothing but to tell them how to do it.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
Of course it'll be sold out.....if canada can't sell 6200 tickets to a hockey game then there's a problem.

The Caps have sold every game the past two seasons. The real issue is how are they going to allocate tickets to the other 29 teams when 90% plus of the seats are held by seasons tickets holders.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Exactly.....cost. The ahl wants to tell them teams how to do it and expects them to also pay for it. No wonder nobody wants to host the thing. The ahl needs to figure its crap out on the game....either A) pull back and let the host team do it, shut up and just show up and enjoy it( not likely).....B) start financially supporting the game(also not likely) or C) just cancel the whole idea as no longer viable.

As for the game itself.....the team in sweden has already been quoted as saying they are playing to win and the likes.
While the game in it's current state is a skills competition at best.....how are you going to feel if, in the name of a competitve game, your top player gets drilled into the boards and misses the rest of the season. All because some clown, who couldn't play in this league to begin with, or some guy nobody's ever heard of,is "playing to win."

It's no wonder teams want nothing to do with the game.....they don't want to invest the time, money and staff to put on the game and have the ahl invest nothing but to tell them how to do it.

Do you have any idea what it is the AHL wants the host team to do?

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
The Caps have sold every game the past two seasons. The real issue is how are they going to allocate tickets to the other 29 teams when 90% plus of the seats are held by seasons tickets holders.

It's not the other 29 teams that will be the real issue, it will be the VIPs that get given tickets (that includes the tickets given to each player). Depending on how large the press area is in the arena there could be tickets lost there too.

Everything I hear about the folks that run the organization up there leads me to believe they already have an answer to how it will work.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I was being sarcastic if you weren't aware of that.....this is an awful idea!!!! Truthfully I hope no chicago players make it and that none of them have to be a party to this circus.

Another money fueled idea thrown out by the AHL. And before anyone asks what I mean by that......It's simple the ahl got caught in a bad position by awarding the game to st.john's( This decision was made months ago I'm sure) and now looking at the cost of getting not 1 but 2 full teams to the island along with room and board, they decided to float this whole idea to teams in europe to see who would bite.
It probably went something like......"Hey how would you like to bring your team to canada and play a game against a team of ahl all stars? Well.... all it would cost is your airfare here and we'll take care of the rooms. It's a chance for you to match up against high caliber talent and see where you stand....really you'll do it....great we'll get it set up and announce it in a few weeks or so".(hangs up phone....."Whew that was a close one....can't believe we actually suckered them into bailing us out of this mess.....Now how do we sell this pile of crap to our fans?")

Thanks to whoever made this colossal bonehead call.

What makes you think another team wanted it? After all, this is the league that held an ASG in Atlantic City because they couldn't find a taker.

Because it's an All Star Game. Just as in other sports, ASG's in hockey are just boring. The high points of the ones I've seen live have been the venue (Portland) and the visiting mascots (T-Bone & Bruiser in particular). The games themselves are dishwater dull, and the skills competition would be a total loss if they hadn't taken the glass out and encouraged the players to interact with the fans. This one might be slightly more competitive due to having an actual team for an opponent.

This is such a bad idea I am not sure where to begin..... Those that think the AHL has even a remote chance of coming anywhere close to winning are completely kidding themselves.

Des Moines would be.

Des Moines would be a great place to have the all star game. Plenty of hotels, things to see (cows and the like) and not too hard to get there. Very nice arena that can hold more than enough peeps.

It's not the other 29 teams that will be the real issue, it will be the VIPs that get given tickets (that includes the tickets given to each player). Depending on how large the press area is in the arena there could be tickets lost there too.

Everything I hear about the folks that run the organization up there leads me to believe they already have an answer to how it will work.

There is no doubt the game will sell all 6200 seats. I feel sorry for the Ice Cap non full season ticket holders that will not get to attend the game.

In past years we have received e-mails from our teams that All Star tickets are available to purchase but not this year.

If the AHL wants the game to be a draw, they need to, as axe says, either let the host team control everything or the AHL control everything including the costs, staffing, marketing, etc.

The way it is now is proven that it doesn't work as evidenced by the holding the game in Atlantic City.

And I do know how it works as both axe and I have had several conversation with wolves personnel (head of all ticket sales, the VP of operations, etc.) over the years about the game.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

These ASG's might not suck in the minors if they fixed the process. They invite the best prospects instead of the best players. Would rather see the guys with the best stats, not the best possible future. It's a reward to their current body of work NOT what they MIGHT do LATER

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Then I'd love to hear what changes in what the AHL wants that either of you have.

Quite simple:

If the AHL wants to run the events, then they get all the revenue but also have to foot the bill for all the expenses, including venue expense, staffing, etc.

If the AHL wants to let the host team run the event, then the team uses all their staff, gets all the revenues, and pays for all the expenses.

There should be a skills competition, but the host picks the skills, and the game itself of Easter Conference versus Western Conference. I have never liked the USA/Canada or whomever against the world and I do not like the way the NHL does it with their "drafting". You want drafting? Let the coach of each team pick their own conference attendees via a draft but set the limits that he can pick only 1 player from his team, must pick a player from each team, and cannot pick more than 2 players from a team. Replacements for players not participating must come from the same team as the player not participating.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
If the AHL wants to let the host team run the event, then the team uses all their staff, gets all the revenues, and pays for all the expenses.

This is exactly how it works now. The AHL has a manual on how the game is to be run, which is well known before any team decides to host the game. From that point everything is on the host team...staff, revenues/expenses, etc.

So my question is of all the things in that manual what do you want the AHL to change.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
This is exactly how it works now. The AHL has a manual on how the game is to be run, which is well known before any team decides to host the game. From that point everything is on the host team...staff, revenues/expenses, etc.

So my question is of all the things in that manual what do you want the AHL to change.

Simple.....the ahl needs to shut their mouths and let the host team run the event from planning to finish as they see fit, not as the ahl tells them.
The way it is done now is no different then if you 210 were to invest $1,000,000 in a business and me, having no money invested, telling you how you have to run it.

I notice nobody has addressed my comments about how would you feel if a star player from your team got hurt because some clown on the opposition ran him into the boards and put him out for the rest of the season in the name of a competitive game.An uncomfortable truth isn't it.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Silly idea. I'm guessing Färjestad will be sending a bunch of juniors to play this one out.

If they want to add some international flair to the All-Star Game, why not have a "North America vs World" type of match with AHL players?

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Simple.....the ahl needs to shut their mouths and let the host team run the event from planning to finish as they see fit, not as the ahl tells them.
The way it is done now is no different then if you 210 were to invest $1,000,000 in a business and me, having no money invested, telling you how you have to run it.

I notice nobody has addressed my comments about how would you feel if a star player from your team got hurt because some clown on the opposition ran him into the boards and put him out for the rest of the season in the name of a competitive game.An uncomfortable truth isn't it.

If I were to invest any money in an operation I knew beforehand I didn't have full control over that would be on me, wouldn't it? So again I ask, what specific thing would you change from what the AHL wants from the host team of the all star game.

And maybe no one is addressing your comment because we all know that despite the public comments that Färjestad is going to try to win the game we all know that it's just for show, and it will be just like every other all star game: all offense and nothing remotely close to a real check being thrown.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Silly idea. I'm guessing Färjestad will be sending a bunch of juniors to play this one out.

If they want to add some international flair to the All-Star Game, why not have a "North America vs World" type of match with AHL players?

The AHL used to, only it was Canada vs "Planet/USA".

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
This is such a bad idea I am not sure where to begin..... Those that think the AHL has even a remote chance of coming anywhere close to winning are completely kidding themselves.

Not sure why you included my post on this one - your response wasn't remotely connected to it.

Des Moines would be a great place to have the all star game. Plenty of hotels, things to see (cows and the like) and not too hard to get there. Very nice arena that can hold more than enough peeps.

Might be the most entertaining line in this entire thread. :D

If the AHL wants the game to be a draw, they need to, as axe says, either let the host team control everything or the AHL control everything including the costs, staffing, marketing, etc.

The way it is now is proven that it doesn't work as evidenced by the holding the game in Atlantic City.

Which was the one game that was run by the league. Kind of proves it is better to let the teams bid on it and go from there.

And I do know how it works as both axe and I have had several conversation with wolves personnel (head of all ticket sales, the VP of operations, etc.) over the years about the game.

Your comments about Eastern teams refusing to travel and Western teams wanting to proves that team personnel tell you what you want to hear, not what's actually true (and I mean that for all teams, not just the Wolves).

Personal thought - I think the league should make all their meetings available to fans on AHL Live. The fee could be donated to charity, and a lot of fans would have their eyes opened as to how things really are. I know the scheduling meetings would be VERY enlightening. :D

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad