AHL AllStar Game in St. John's, NL UPD: vs Färjestad BK

IceCapsHabs

Sep 16, 2012
St. John's

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Speaking from living here, The rumours are that the NBA will have some games as well as the AHL all star game. Would be massive here in NL as you'd get people from every corner of the Island coming to this (all be it Mile one and the Ice Caps have about 85-90 percent season ticket holders already having tickets)

I'm excited and looking forward to getting the green light

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
Im pretty sure the nba game would be offered to seat licience people first,i think it will be the same for the al star game as well,so are season tickets mean jack

for the all star game they need to hold certain amount of tickets for other teams,so we got way to many season tickets sold,chances are it wil go to seat licience then be sold to general public

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Would make sense for St. John's to host the AHL All Star Game. I'm sure that, barring the IceCaps making the Calder Cup Finals, it'd be the biggest event of the year for the city, so it could easily be the cornerstone of a major festival.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Game will be held in St. John's.......not sure when they'll announce it.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
That is the AHL great marketing logic - put the game in a place that is difficult to get to and probably foes not have the tourism infrastructure to support an influx of even 2,000 people.

Cities like Milwaukee, Des Moines, Chicago, Austin, Charlotte would be horrible places for an all star game...... :sarcasm:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
That is the AHL great marketing logic - put the game in a place that is difficult to get to and probably foes not have the tourism infrastructure to support an influx of even 2,000 people.

Cities like Milwaukee, Des Moines, Chicago, Austin, Charlotte would be horrible places for an all star game...... :sarcasm:

Based on years of discussions and yes, I see the sarcasm smiley at the end, so much of this has to do with the team's willingness to fund a portion of this event.

As to St. John's, my issue/concern is the travel for players getting to and from given the difficulties at times to get in and out of that airport, especially in February. Looking at the schedule, no games scheduled for the 10th or the 13th.

http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=month&month=2014-02

"The 2014 AHL All-Star Classic will take place Tue., Feb. 11, and Wed., Feb. 12...."

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

They are of those teams don't bid on or request to host the game. Most teams don't want the added expense or hassle......I know that's Chicago's reason.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
**** YEAH! Guarantee a sell out real fast. The Ice caps are set to break the AHL record of consecutive sell outs by January and this will be a nice reward for it

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
They are of those teams don't bid on or request to host the game. Most teams don't want the added expense or hassle......I know that's Chicago's reason.

There is an easy way to fix that. All the ticket revenue and expenses go to and get paid by the league who then dole it out to the host team. Baseball does it that way I think because when I had Sox season tickets, I was told the league handles all the ticketing, etc.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
There is an easy way to fix that. All the ticket revenue and expenses go to and get paid by the league who then dole it out to the host team. Baseball does it that way I think because when I had Sox season tickets, I was told the league handles all the ticketing, etc.

Never happen.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Speculation in this Telegrampiece is interesting:

"Now for the twist... Two weeks ago, the online site Eurohockey.com stated it had “ learned from several sources that the AHL is toying with two unique ideas for a mid-season contest this year. One is an AHL All Star squad contest against a pre-Olympic team from a European country or if that can’t be arranged, a game against a European team from either Germany, Switzerland or Sweden is being considered.â€"

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Speculation in this Telegrampiece is interesting:

"Now for the twist... Two weeks ago, the online site Eurohockey.com stated it had “ learned from several sources that the AHL is toying with two unique ideas for a mid-season contest this year. One is an AHL All Star squad contest against a pre-Olympic team from a European country or if that can’t be arranged, a game against a European team from either Germany, Switzerland or Sweden is being considered.â€"

Relevent to this: the 1984 US Olympic team played the IHL All-Star team

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Major announcement tomorrow from AHL is to announce that the all star game will be in st john's like I said a couple of weeks ago.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Major announcement tomorrow from AHL is to announce that the all star game will be in st john's like I said a couple of weeks ago.

..and they'll play vs. Färjestad from SHL. Interesting.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
Cool. :)

Tricky one. Cheer for Färjestad ( :( ) or the AHL All Star ( :( )

I really must find my (swedish) patriotic side for this one - better start looking.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
weird..... I would prefer an east versus west. I am gonna bet this costs less than the traditional type.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Another fantastic job by the AHL.....not only do we put the All-star game in a place nobody can get to, but let's change the format and shaft a bunch of guys in the A of their spot on the team. All so we can play a game against a team with players that....
A) Nobody's ever heard of or B) Couldn't play here to begin with.
Glad they thought it through.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Another fantastic job by the AHL.....not only do we put the All-star game in a place nobody can get to, but let's change the format and shaft a bunch of guys in the A of their spot on the team. All so we can play a game against a team with players that....
A) Nobody's ever heard of or B) Couldn't play here to begin with.
Glad they thought it through.

It's a terrible idea. Not to mention it should be all star team versus all star team. I care even less now than if they would've just kept the same format.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad