AHL AllStar Game in St. John's, NL UPD: vs Färjestad BK

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
If I were to invest any money in an operation I knew beforehand I didn't have full control over that would be on me, wouldn't it? So again I ask, what specific thing would you change from what the AHL wants from the host team of the all star game.

And maybe no one is addressing your comment because we all know that despite the public comments that Färjestad is going to try to win the game we all know that it's just for show, and it will be just like every other all star game: all offense and nothing remotely close to a real check being thrown.

Since I'm guessing I didn't make myself clear here's that change....the ahl needs to throw out their "manual" and allow the host team to put on the as game without any input from the league...just shut up and show up

So since the public comments are not to be taken seriously......why the hell bother? Why have a team fly half-way across the world to play in a meaningless exhibition game, while at the same time short changing the players in your own league by cutting the as team in half? How many ahl players might have incentives in their contract based upon an as appearance?

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Personal thought - I think the league should make all their meetings available to fans on AHL Live. The fee could be donated to charity, and a lot of fans would have their eyes opened as to how things really are. I know the scheduling meetings would be VERY enlightening. :D

Great idea.....never happen. The league will never allow us to see what really happens in these meetings, or they would sanitize the meetings while on camera and work on lightning rod stuff off camera.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
How many ahl players might have incentives in their contract based upon an as appearance?

I honestly can't see too many of them having bonus clauses in AHL contracts. Ijust don't think that would go on that much as the minor league level.

Personal thought - I think the league should make all their meetings available to fans on AHL Live. The fee could be donated to charity, and a lot of fans would have their eyes opened as to how things really are. I know the scheduling meetings would be VERY enlightening. :D

Great idea.....never happen. The league will never allow us to see what really happens in these meetings, or they would sanitize the meetings while on camera and work on lightning rod stuff off camera.

I know, but one can dream, can't one? :D

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
How many ahl players might have incentives in their contract based upon an as appearance?

Sorry, missed this earlier...I believe the answer to be zero. In fact, I can't recall hearing of any player on a straight AHL contract getting bonuses of any kind, nor any player on an NHL two-way having them for AHL play either.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
You have no idea what the requirements are, right? :laugh:

Not sure what requirements you talk about...but I can say this. I'm a relatively intelligent person and am smart enough to know that when someone wants you to pay for something, but also wants to tell you how to do what you are paying for, it doesn't work.
There's a reason that nobody is lining up to host the game year after year and I'm smart enough to figure out it's because they don't want the hassle involved.

Point is you can't have your cake and eat it to....if you want the say so, then you need to assume the responsibility as well.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I can't believe people WANT to see an ASG anyway. It's nothing but an offensive show. Theres no physical play or anything. The only sports all star game I actually like is the NBA....and i'm not even an NBA fan.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I can't believe people WANT to see an ASG anyway. It's nothing but an offensive show. Theres no physical play or anything. The only sports all star game I actually like is the NBA....and i'm not even an NBA fan.

The folks that go to the event will tell you it have almost nothing to do with the actual game, it's all the other stuff associated with the game.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
That is a brief, yet depressing statement. You are probably correct.

The Pope quit his job this year.

Is there no hope of regime change in the AHL? :(

Andrews has a lot less power than people think. A lot of the actions of the AHL are voted on by the Board of Governors and they're the ones that set the direction of the AHL.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
If I were to invest any money in an operation I knew beforehand I didn't have full control over that would be on me, wouldn't it? So again I ask, what specific thing would you change from what the AHL wants from the host team of the all star game.

And maybe no one is addressing your comment because we all know that despite the public comments that Färjestad is going to try to win the game we all know that it's just for show, and it will be just like every other all star game: all offense and nothing remotely close to a real check being thrown.

You have no idea what the requirements are, right? :laugh:

Sorry, missed this earlier...I believe the answer to be zero. In fact, I can't recall hearing of any player on a straight AHL contract getting bonuses of any kind, nor any player on an NHL two-way having them for AHL play either.

The folks that go to the event will tell you it have almost nothing to do with the actual game, it's all the other stuff associated with the game.

210 - here's the deal. The AHL needs to stay completely out of the entire event or they need to completely run it.

They can dictate one thing and one thing only if they want to let the teams run it, and that is the format of the game and the determination of those participating. Anything else, go away. It doesn't matter what is currently in or out of their manual. The AHl cannot dictate who gets tickets, costs of tickets, or anything.

If the AHL wants to dictate anything other than the actual game format and participants, then the AHL can pay for all the costs associated with the event, including reimbursing the team for costs.

Not sure what confuses you about these two options.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I'm not confused at all about the options you suggest, I just know it will absolutely never happen. I'm also at this point convinced you have no idea what the AHL mandates for the host teams despite your claim otherwise.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I'm not confused at all about the options you suggest, I just know it will absolutely never happen. I'm also at this point convinced you have no idea what the AHL mandates for the host teams despite your claim otherwise.

DUDE....who freakin' cares if someone does or doesn't know....so far all you've done on here is stick your tongue out and yell na na na na na i know something you may or may not know. Good for you. Now when you go out to dinner tomorrow night....tell someone and see how much you get off your bill.
I don't really care what the "criteria" is....I know what common sense is and since that's a 4 letter word to the ahl I already know more than them.

But if it'll make you feel better about yourself....210 is the greatest ahl fan on here without question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There....you gonna come in off the ledge now????

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78

Absolutely. The social aspect, the side events, and the accesibility of and access to the players (and in some instances, front office personnel) are what make the ASG in any city worth going to. It's also fun seeing the mascots, some of whom are a hel of a lot more active than the one in my arena.

That said, they can have fun in St. John's - don't see more than the fiercest die hards even trying to make that trip.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Absolutely. The social aspect, the side events, and the accesibility of and access to the players (and in some instances, front office personnel) are what make the ASG in any city worth going to. It's also fun seeing the mascots, some of whom are a hel of a lot more active than the one in my arena.

That said, they can have fun in St. John's - don't see more than the fiercest die hards even trying to make that trip.

Skills competitions are fun. Why not drop the game and just keep that? Rotate it year to year.

I hear you on that, but tux deserves a kick in the nards. I went when it was in Binghamton a few years ago. Talk about obnoxious. I thought the guy had a death wish too hanging himself from the glass lol

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

First you say explain what other options we would suggest, we suggest them, you indicate we did not give options, we spell them out (again) and now you say they will never happen.

Who cares if they never happen? You asked how we thought it would be better and get the teams to actually want to host the game and we did. Just because our options are logical and the AHL will never do it has NOTHING to do with what you wanted.

Now if you wanted what changes we would make that the AHL would want to implement, then there is nothing for us to suggest because this is turning into nothing but a hillbilly run league.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00