AHL Age requirment

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I would really like to see this rule re written. IMO a player should only be ineligible for the AHL for 1 year after he was drafted.

In a lot of cases I feel that while the player is still only 18, he has developed as far as he can in the CHL, but he isn't quite ready for the NHL. So clubs either throw him to the lions, or let him dominate a league he shouldn't be playing in.

I completely understand why the rule is in place, but there'd still be plenty of talent left in juniors & for the national teams.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I agree. Needs to be something to allow teams to have their prospects develop in a "better" league.

IMO, Gudbranson might be good enough to make the Panthers this year, but, I wish he could play in the AHL if he somehow didn't make the squad. Don't think being in the WHL will really help his development compared to playing with Adults.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Its the CHLs way of protecting their league. I don't necessarily agree with it but I really like your idea of 1 year after the league. It would make it so that a player can't be drafted and then just go pro but it would also make it for those guys who are too good for the CHL but not good enough for the NHL could still develop at a higher level.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Its the CHLs way of protecting their league. I don't necessarily agree with it but I really like your idea of 1 year after the league. It would make it so that a player can't be drafted and then just go pro but it would also make it for those guys who are too good for the CHL but not good enough for the NHL could still develop at a higher level.

It isn't even like every player would necessarily go pro anyway. There'd be plenty of overagers left over. It's just that an overager would now be 18-19 instead of 19-20.

Last edited:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I agree. Needs to be something to allow teams to have their prospects develop in a "better" league.

IMO, Gudbranson might be good enough to make the Panthers this year, but, I wish he could play in the AHL if he somehow didn't make the squad. Don't think being in the WHL will really help his development compared to playing with Adults.

What the hell is the WHL?

I disagree with you guys and not surprised most Americans agree with you. The fans of the junior teams deserve to see some decent players, don't they? But I guess it's only the fans of the AHL (majority American based teams) deserve to see decent players eh?

If you're going to change rules, why not change them all. NCAA has to accept players from Canadian juniors (funny how they can accept players from the USHL)

USA hockey no longer gets 8 million + a year handout from the NHL, and starts getting development fees like junior hockey in Canada. Guess who benefits most? It's not junior hockey in Canada.

Should I go on?

R S

Sep 18, 2006

I disagree with you guys and not surprised most Americans agree with you. The fans of the junior teams deserve to see some decent players, don't they? But I guess it's only the fans of the AHL (majority American based teams) deserve to see decent players eh?

If you're going to change rules, why not change them all. NCAA has to accept players from Canadian juniors (funny how they can accept players from the USHL)

USA hockey no longer gets 8 million + a year handout from the NHL, and starts getting development fees like junior hockey in Canada. Guess who benefits most? It's not junior hockey in Canada.

Should I go on?

:sarcasm:

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

Should I go on?

No I agree 100% that the CHL fans deserve to have the top talent remain. That's why I say for 1 year after their draft year they should go back to Juniors (or the NHL). That is key to my original post & very important for the league.

My interest in some players making the jump their 2nd year after being drafted has very little to do with the AHL being more exciting with better players. It has everything to do with the development of certain players who are too good for Juniors, but not ready for the NHL.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
And to hell with the fans of junior hockey in Canada right?

if a players development is best served by playing in the AHL that player shouldnt be forced to play in juniors just because the fans would miss him. Let these guys and teams that draft them determine the best route they should take.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
if a players development is best served by playing in the AHL that player shouldnt be forced to play in juniors just because the fans would miss him. Let these guys and teams that draft them determine the best route they should take.

And if a player prefers to play in the country he was born in or for the team he cheered for as a kid, he should be allowed to bypass the draft and sign with them.

Horrible forcing an 18 y/o kid to move to a foreign country to play hockey.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
No I agree 100% that the CHL fans deserve to have the top talent remain. That's why I say for 1 year after their draft year they should go back to Juniors (or the NHL). That is key to my original post & very important for the league.

My interest in some players making the jump their 2nd year after being drafted has very little to do with the AHL being more exciting with better players. It has everything to do with the development of certain players who are too good for Juniors, but not ready for the NHL.

Personally I think the draft age should be 20. 18 is way too young and forced to live away from home.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
And if a player prefers to play in the country he was born in or for the team he cheered for as a kid, he should be allowed to bypass the draft and sign with them.

Horrible forcing an 18 y/o kid to move to a foreign country to play hockey.

apples and oranges, imo

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Personally I think the draft age should be 20. 18 is way too young and forced to live away from home.

You do realized that 95% of junior hockey players live in a new city with a billet family, don't you? These kids do that from the time they are 16...some as early as 13-14 to play in bigger/better programs away from home.

Kopistar11

Jul 15, 2011
Agree, the player has already played a couple of years in the CHL and they've probably progressed as far as possible at that level so instead of putting them back in the CHL you have the option to put them either in the CHL or AHL depending on how far they are in progressing for some players they need one more year with guys that are younger or the same age as them while others are skilled and can play with guys that are older in the AHL.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
You do realized that 95% of junior hockey players live in a new city with a billet family, don't you? These kids do that from the time they are 16...some as early as 13-14 to play in bigger/better programs away from home.

Yes and I don't like it. I understand it, still don't like it.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
I hate the ruling about juniors/AHL/NHL

It's contradictory really. It's either juniors, or NHL? No AHL?

:help:

Personally, I feel all players should be forced to go back to Juniors for their first year, then second year choose between Juniors or AHL ONLY. Then third year, NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad