GDT: AHL – Amerks at Marlies – Sat Dec 8 – 7:00PM ET – TV: Sportsnet ONE, ESPN America

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I see that winning multiple Calder Cups has really helped Washington out in the Stanley Cup department too.
Don't forget how much the Chicago Wolves success helped the Atlanta Thrashers. :laugh:

Three Calder Cup Finals appearances and two Cup wins during their time with Atlanta, yet the Thrashers had a single playoff appearance that was a sweep and a lot of their ineptitude had to do with their awful prospect development.

I'm just wondering if the same complaints were spewed when the Amerks were the Panthers farm team.
Yes, Amerks fans always complained about the Panthers and loathed them so much that they wanted to be an independent team, but have now magically forgotten how terrible they were and speak favorably about them when they are mad with something the Sabres have (or haven't) done.

It's too bad they weren't allowed to go independent, as they would have gotten a large dose of reality.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Well, if you're looking for silver linings the team is still a +5 in goal differential notwithstanding losing their 1C (Hodgson) for over 60% of the season, losing their 1RW (Tropp) for all but two periods this season, and seeing Mancari, Varone and Adam underperform until just recently. That's with a pedestrian goaltending situation, as well.

I think the Amerks are a good team when healthy, but they don't have the depth up front to withstand any losses, injury or otherwise (NHL season, for instance).

Rammstein816

Mar 16, 2009
However, I think the issue a lot of people have is that it seems the only time you ever post is to complain. If you mix it up a little, you may not get the abrasive response you almost always get.

To provide an example of what he is saying, the other night when Knapp started against Adirondack, you were the first to post in the thread, bashing Rolston's decision and criticizing his rebound control. This was possibly unwarranted, but like you've said, it is your right as a fan to complain. Then, after he had a good game, you didn't post back in here at all. This is just one example of the bolded statement. I'm not saying you have to back yourself up or put on a happy face every time, but if you come off abrasive, that's all others know about you.

Instead of talking about the need for veterans and what players just signed elsewhere that would've been nice to have, maybe say something nice about the prospects every once in awhile. Outside of Joe Finley (borderline prospect), Evan Rankin (not technically a prospect), and Rick Schofield (I think you said something positive once), you've had nothing but negative things to say. If all the prospects were horrible, Sabres fans would be complaining more.

This is the last statement I'm going to make directly towards you, since this thread is not about you and I don't want to get the mods mad. I just wanted to try to extend a viewpoint and let you decide what you want to do with it.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
To provide an example of what he is saying, the other night when Knapp started against Adirondack, you were the first to post in the thread, bashing Rolston's decision and criticizing his rebound control. This was possibly unwarranted, but like you've said, it is your right as a fan to complain. Then, after he had a good game, you didn't post back in here at all. This is just one example of the bolded statement. I'm not saying you have to back yourself up or put on a happy face every time, but if you come off abrasive, that's all others know about you.

Instead of talking about the need for veterans and what players just signed elsewhere that would've been nice to have, maybe say something nice about the prospects every once in awhile. Outside of Joe Finley (borderline prospect), Evan Rankin (not technically a prospect), and Rick Schofield (I think you said something positive once), you've had nothing but negative things to say. If all the prospects were horrible, Sabres fans would be complaining more.

This is the last statement I'm going to make directly towards you, since this thread is not about you and I don't want to get the mods mad. I just wanted to try to extend a viewpoint and let you decide what you want to do with it.
Uh, what are you, my mother? Are you seriously critiquing my posting habits and what I should write?

If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it. Skim right on over. I post my thoughts and opinions in the appropriate thread.

Rammstein816

Mar 16, 2009
Uh, what are you, my mother? Are you seriously critiquing my posting habits and what I should write?

If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it. Skim right on over. I post my thoughts and opinions in the appropriate thread.

I tried, I'm done. I'm done JoshJull. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Rammstein816

Mar 16, 2009
You and me both.

To clarify, I wanted the Pirates back, not because of a poster on this board, but because of various other reasons.

One: Wildcat48 was a great contributor to our boards. He posted valuable insight and when things were bad, he didn't talk doom and gloom, but instead kept an even keel that most media members do.

Second: I started to like the city of Portland quite a bit from different things I read about it and I even wanted to take a trip out there to see a game, unfortunately that didn't happen.

Third: The Portland fanbase seems to understand what the AHL is now-a-days and went with the flow of the way things worked. They understood that their team would likely have a new affiliate every few years and they accepted it rather than fought it. This is not to say that Rochester fans aren't understanding and kind. All of my trips to Rochester, I've met some great people and I've never had a bad experience.

The one reason why I was weary of keeping Portland was due to their arena renovation project that had some serious roadblocks, but that resolved itself. I've enjoyed continuing to keep tabs on Portland while Phoenix is the NHL affiliate and I wish them continued success in the future.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Some Amerks fans remind me of some Sabres fans ... Knee jerk, quick to criticize, slow to complement, and no patience what so ever.

It may take 2, 3, 5, 10 years, but I think Pegula will be informed of the shortcomings on a wide number of issues, and act appropriately. He's not a greedy owner trying to penny pinch. Now, if he doesn't see or hasn't been informed of the various issues, well, that needs to change.

Those that can't be patient. Well, I feel bad for you. Go root for another AHL team that is oh so perfect in everyway. You'll be happier.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Maybe ZZamboni but anybody who has followed minor league sports should know in 95% of these cases the pro team doesn't care about the minor league team. Some of it is a ploy to gain more fans for your teams fanbaase. Some of it is about having all control and being able to do whatever you please. Developing in the minors is a bogus concept and any minor league sports fan can tell you that, just not how it works. So much roster turnover generally. Being patient at that level is far from easy, your diehards at any level will do it. Fans will come see a winner, not a loser. Developing and winning don't go hand in hand so much. You can win without developing. I can't say I see a problem with how they handle their minor league team, they own it. Rochester isn't the first nor will they be the last minor league hockey team to get screwed by an NHL franchise running the show

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad