GDT: AHL – Amerks at Marlies – Sat Dec 8 – 7:00PM ET – TV: Sportsnet ONE, ESPN America

hockeylover1

Dec 10, 2010
Didn't matter if they did call up players Rolston would not use them. He went with 2 lines anyway got to give the guys who are not producing all the ice time they can handle . Nice to see Parker show them how to do it with little opportunity. A minor hockey coach would have benched players after those 2 first goals especially with 2 D on the bench

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
God I want the Pirates back.

same here. Rochester has been a terrible re-affiliation. Getting way from them was the best thing to happen for the Sabres. I think T-pegs just sort of acted on emotion when he bought them. Staying in Portland would have been the best. Syracuse and Adk would have been really nice too.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Reminds me that the Pirates also had a much better writer than the Amerks too. Who else misses Chris Roy?
What does that have to do with anything, or is this the definition of "trolling"?

I'll humor you anyway. He's covered pro hockey since 1985, including the Calder Cup finals, Stanley Cup finals and multiple Olympics. Not to mention, as someone who has spoken with him multiple times, a great guy. When Chris Roy has that resume, we'll talk again. And I do like Roy's work, for the record.

Rammstein816

Mar 16, 2009
Reminds me that the Pirates also had a much better writer than the Amerks too. Who else misses Chris Roy?

Good writer, very good info. I actually still follow him on twitter, since his info on Maine hockey is second to none.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Interesting statistic: Over the past two seasons, in games not ended by the shootout, the Amerks are 2-11 in one-goal games against the Marlies (that includes OT games, of course). I think the biggest difference is the quality of the respective coaches. Eakins will be a head coach in the NHL in the very near future; Rolston is a subpar AHL coach.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Interesting statistic: Over the past two seasons, in games not ended by the shootout, the Amerks are 2-11 in one-goal games against the Marlies (that includes OT games, of course). I think the biggest difference is the quality of the respective coaches. Eakins will be a head coach in the NHL in the very near future; Rolston is a subpar AHL coach.

Agreed. Every game against Toronto, Rolston is outcoached. It almost seems like he doesn't care. He doesn't call timeouts, doesn't pull goalies, doesn't make adjustments. I don't get it. I know he was brought in as a "developer" but I'm not seeing that either.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

To be fair, compared to Eakins, most AHL coaches look subpar. He is really, really good.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Agreed. Every game against Toronto, Rolston is outcoached. It almost seems like he doesn't care. He doesn't call timeouts, doesn't pull goalies, doesn't make adjustments. I don't get it. I know he was brought in as a "developer" but I'm not seeing that either.

The amerks are first and foremost a developmental team in a developmental league. The organization will not have veteran players taking up important roles and prime ice for for good reason: their entire existence is to give the young players the experience in those situations. The Sabres have been using this model for a long time, and as a result they have more homegrown talent than just about any other team in the league.

Why even bother fielding the team if you're going to give the top roles and most ice time to has beens? Nobody gives a damn about the Calder Cup.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
The amerks are first and foremost a developmental team in a developmental league. The organization will not have veteran players taking up important roles and prime ice for for good reason: their entire existence is to give the young players the experience in those situations. The Sabres have been using this model for a long time, and as a result they have more homegrown talent than just about any other team in the league.

Why even bother fielding the team if you're going to give the top roles and most ice time to has beens? Nobody gives a damn about the Calder Cup.
Another one of these posts. They're really racking up quicker than I thought this year. It may be a record.

UncleBenny

Nov 17, 2011

Because the older guys can actually teach the young guys something about hockey? No one is saying we need a team of all vets and no development. But how does playing with less than 4 forward lines players help development? How does playing a defenseman at forward help development? This team could easily bring in 2 vets and not take ice time away from any of the players Buffalo is trying to develop.

I see that homegrown talent has really helped Buffalo out in the Stanley Cup department too.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010

tCp90.gif

The response to this should be good.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
It's a broken record. I just laugh at it every time someone posts it. Wasting their time and energy.

It's just a simple fact, and that's exactly how Darcy treats the team. You don't think it's a coincidence that you see that all the time? Maybe because it's the truth?

But I'm sure you having a hissy-fit in every GDT thread that the Amerks lose in is very worthwhile.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Because the older guys can actually teach the young guys something about hockey? No one is saying we need a team of all vets and no development. But how does playing with less than 4 forward lines players help development? How does playing a defenseman at forward help development? This team could easily bring in 2 vets and not take ice time away from any of the players Buffalo is trying to develop.

I see that homegrown talent has really helped Buffalo out in the Stanley Cup department too.

I see that winning multiple Calder Cups has really helped Washington out in the Stanley Cup department too.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
It's just a simple fact, and that's exactly how Darcy treats the team. You don't think it's a coincidence that you see that all the time? Maybe because it's the truth?

But I'm sure you having a hissy-fit in every GDT thread that the Amerks lose in is very worthwhile.
What's really funny is people having a hissy fit when I correctly call out the Sabres and Darcy Regier for various reasons. Don't know if it's a Buffalo inferiority complex or what. People can't handle the criticisms.

I've debated dozens and dozens of times on this site about this very topic. I don't care anymore and I'm not wasting my time with it. It got old years ago. If you, and anyone else, want to continue spewing it to me, have a blast. It's become humorous to me at this point.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
What's really funny is people having a hissy fit when I correctly call out the Sabres and Darcy Regier for various reasons. Don't know if it's a Buffalo inferiority complex or what. People can't handle the criticisms.

I've debated dozens and dozens of times on this site about this very topic. I don't care anymore and I'm not wasting my time with it. It got old years ago. If you, and anyone else, want to continue spewing it to me, have a blast. It's become humorous to me at this point.

I'm just wondering if the same complaints were spewed when the Amerks were the Panthers farm team. With the exception of the 2006 team, they were pretty putrid. This current iteration isn't exactly devoid of talent, but they're respectable and would be better with an adequate coach.

Is it Darcy's fault that the strength of the organization has taken a step back, or is it Rolston not properly utilizing them? Realistically going into the season they had a defensive corps that on paper was one of the best in the league and had players in Mancari and Adam that were expected to perform and dominate at this level, all of whom have under-performed. Yes they could of used an AHL quality first line center, but besides that, the team should be able to compete with anybody, and relative to most teams in the league, would have been fairly well stocked when players departed for the NHL.

The divide is that the vast majority of this board are Sabres' fans first and foremost and could care less about the Amerks, outside of whether the potential future Sabres are developing properly. The Amerks fans would rather rehash the glory days and long for a Chicago Wolves / Hershey Bears set-up geared towards winning vice fostering the growth of future Sabres. Until Buffalo designates a GM with the sole responsibility to stock the Amerks that just isn't going to happen.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester

I've been trying to see your point-of-view more this year than any year past. I understand the necessary balance between winning and developing. Hell, winning can accelerate the development.

However, I think the issue a lot of people have is that it seems the only time you ever post is to complain. If you mix it up a little, you may not get the abrasive response you almost always get.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'm just wondering if the same complaints were spewed when the Amerks were the Panthers farm team. With the exception of the 2006 team, they were pretty putrid. This current iteration isn't exactly devoid of talent, but they're respectable and would be better with an adequate coach.
Yes, similar complaints were made. This has nothing to do with Buffalo. Fans, including myself, just want to see a winner. Whether it's Darcy Regier or Mike Santos, the last 2 guys to run the Amerks haven't done well.

Is it Darcy's fault that the strength of the organization has taken a step back, or is it Rolston not properly utilizing them? Realistically going into the season they had a defensive corps that on paper was one of the best in the league and had players in Mancari and Adam that were expected to perform and dominate at this level, all of whom have under-performed. Yes they could of used an AHL quality first line center, but besides that, the team should be able to compete with anybody, and relative to most teams in the league, would have been fairly well stocked when players departed for the NHL.
First, Regier hired Rolston. So he's responsible. Second, anyone who thought the Amerks had an elite defense on paper either had blinders on or didn't watch the team last season. They had a weak defense last year, and that was with Shaone Morrisonn, who was their best player. He left, not replaced by a veteran. But Mark Pysyk, who is solid, but isn't a replacement for Morrrisonn. So the defense, on paper, took a step back. Then when you add in a much more talented locked out AHL, it's even worse.

And second, anyone who depended on Adam to be an elite player after last year needs to give their head a shake. Not one Amerk fan I knew expected it, and not surprisingly, it hasn't happened. I don't care what he did 2 years ago or the beginning of last year. That's a very long time ago and he clearly wasn't that player when he was sent down.

The divide is that the vast majority of this board are Sabres' fans first and foremost and could care less about the Amerks, outside of whether the potential future Sabres are developing properly. The Amerks fans would rather rehash the glory days and long for a Chicago Wolves / Hershey Bears set-up geared towards winning vice fostering the growth of future Sabres. Until Buffalo designates a GM with the sole responsibility to stock the Amerks that just isn't going to happen.
That's the problem. Everyone on this board should also expect a winner in Rochester. Any quality organization in this league should demand a winner at every level. Why draft players and subject players to a losing atmosphere? That's stupid. And no, I don't believe there's a correlation between winning in the AHL and winning in the NHL. But a real organization should demand it from top to bottom. The Sabres clearly don't. That should be an issue for everyone. It's not. Some people would rather complain that I complain. Makes a lot of sense. We're all one organization. Winning should be the standard everywhere.

I'm not saying take out all the stops to win at all costs. That's not possible. There's an AHL veteran limit. No one is asking for a team with 10 veterans. Fans ask for 5 or 6 top level vets, which this team does not have, and an honest effort during the season to address the issues. None of which has happened or will happen.

If Terry Pegula sees fit to publish a letter in the D&C stating the goal in Rochester is to win a Calder Cup, I'm going to hold him to it. Not sit back and accept whatever. If people on here don't like it, too damn bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad