News Article: Agents Poll: Dubas voted the best GM to get client a good deal from

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
A good GM shouldn't really need to get played on timing if he understands player comparables and the market.

However you could see Darren Ferris setting up his easy mark Dubas with the long game con with Marner. When Dubas called their last summer offer rumoured as the Draisaitl deal @ $8.5 mil X 8 as "to rich for his blood", Ferris said "fine see you next year as no in season negotiations were going to happen" until he could set the stage.

He knew at this point he had all the leverage against Dubas.. Marner was scheduled to play the year on Tavares wing and racking up big points accordingly as they bet on themselves, which was going to make his client rich, and make Dubas pay dearly.

Ferris also knew Dubas would not let Matthews get to RFA status for fear of an OS, that he would have to match, so he knew Matthews was going to get one of the richest NHL contracts in cap history. Not sure Ferris anticipated his good fortune when Matthew's agent Judd Moldaver got Dubas to pay top UFA $$ rates for only 1 year of UFA status on a 5 year deal. With McDavid and Eichel the ceiling and floor of 8 years deals, the highway robbery of Dubas getting only 5 years while still using their $$ rates as comparables sent earthquake magnitude shock waves through the NHL that could have been measured on a Richter scale.

He also knew at that point it really didn't matter what other teams comparables players would sign for, because his plan as we would soon discover publicity that Marner was going to use Matthews as his only comparable as his contract ceiling and use his own offersheet threat of $10 mil min as the floor.

The trap was set and the little mouse walk right into it, and as such Dubas has rightlfully earned his reputation around the NHL player agents circles as the GM they know they can get the best deal for their client.

Somehow player agents around the NHL have set up their own Toronto only financial Eco system, when dealing with Dubas so that they get him to hand out rich $$$ contracts as if Toronto is the only market, and he has to constantly negotiate against himself only. Which makes his contracts market setting standards, without needing outside contracts to drive those prices.
To be fair at that time wasn't the Draisaitl considered to be an overpayment by the Oilers because he only put up those 77 points after playing on the same line McDavid when he was healthy, where as 1 year earlier he had 51 points without McDavid on his line. Plus if I remember correctly I don't remember any Leafs fans on here who said Nylander signing for $8.5 million AAV would have been a great deal had Dubas given that to him.

As for Dubas winning this poll isn't it better than that time Ron Wilson coaching the Leafs and he was voted by the players as the worst coach who they would not want to play for. So when you think about it do we want to go back and remember how bad things were.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
To be fair at that time wasn't the Draisaitl considered to be an overpayment by the Oilers because he only put up those 77 points after playing on the same line McDavid when he was healthy, where as 1 year earlier he had 51 points without McDavid on his line. Plus if I remember correctly I don't remember any Leafs fans on here who said Nylander signing for $8.5 million AAV would have been a great deal had Dubas given that to him..

Yes Draisaitl's deal for Leon was considered an overpayment upfront, at time of signing but these contracts are all about forecasting forward and getting your value as the player grew into that deal. However there was a lesson to be learned here in that Draisaitl claimed he was worth a % less of the McDavid deal (using his own teammate and prior contract as his comparable).

The $8.5 X 8 similar deal that Marner was seeking coming off 62 and 69 points seasons would have been considered an overpayment also at that time. Many Leaf fans at that time thought it was outrageous ask on Mitch agent part, and Dubas also thought it was too rich, with rumours that he was countering with around $7.5 mil. If you recall Dubas offer was not well received as even Marner's father Paul went public with his complaint his son was being lowballed and underappreciated.

Dubas claimed Marner would need to earn that contract, and so Marner and Ferris bet on themselves that Mitch was going to have a big year playing alongside #1C Tavares and on the PP with Matthews and would rack up the points in doing so, which as most suspected resulted in a 94 point season as he led the Leafs in scoring. It appears that Dubas now believed he could get Marner for that Draisaitl deal, but he was a year late and a lot of dollars short.

The landscaped had changed and Dubas had given Marner/agent all the leverage now.. He signed Matthews to that rate $11.634 mil (a price based on 8 years) but got only 5 years (also earning his poll reputation as overpaying) which now became Marner's new target comparable.. Marner would also be an RFA which meant they had offersheet leverage which they were banking on which now raised their floor to ~$10.5 mil ask [OS compensation for 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick). Marner also lead the Leafs in scoring in back to back years now to use against Dubas.

Dubas had done everything wrong to get to this point .. The Nylander deal that took that last second to get done, sent a shock wave through KD of an event he didn't want to repeat again. He needed to get Marner signed before Matthews to remove internal comparables and he should have had enough foresight to know that $8.5 mil X 8 was the deal he needed to take anticipating the upcoming events.

So when you go from $8.5 mil X 8 claiming too rich ----> $10.8.93 mil X 6 one season later because Marner improved his stats from 69 -94 points (+25 points) to accepting that Matthews contract was now Marner's new comparable you're now earning your reputation among scouts as the easiest GM to get played by agents. That mistake cost Dubas +$2.4 mil extra cap for 6 years and lost 2 years of service in the process.

Dubas couldn't have handled the 3 Amigo's contracts any worse, unless of course you're player agents and want the best deal for your clients. Greenhorn GM got taken to the cleaners by seasoned experienced player agents and now holds the title by a significant margin as the NHL most generous GM when it comes to handing out contracts.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes Draisaitl's deal for Leon was considered an overpayment upfront, at time of signing but these contracts are all about forecasting forward and getting your value as the player grew into that deal. However there was a lesson to be learned here in that Draisaitl claimed he was worth a % less of the McDavid deal (using his own teammate and prior contract as his comparable).

The $8.5 X 8 similar deal that Marner was seeking coming off 62 and 69 points seasons would have been considered an overpayment also at that time. Many Leaf fans at that time thought it was outrageous ask on Mitch agent part, and Dubas also thought it was too rich, with rumours that he was countering with around $7.5 mil. If you recall Dubas offer was not well received as even Marner's father Paul went public with his complaint his son was being lowballed and underappreciated.

Dubas claimed Marner would need to earn that contract, and so Marner and Ferris bet on themselves that Mitch was going to have a big year playing alongside #1C Tavares and on the PP with Matthews and would rack up the points in doing so, which as most suspected resulted in a 94 point season as he led the Leafs in scoring. It appears that Dubas now believed he could get Marner for that Draisaitl deal, but he was a year late and a lot of dollars short.

The landscaped had changed and Dubas had given Marner/agent all the leverage now.. He signed Matthews to that rate $11.634 mil (a price based on 8 years) but got only 5 years (also earning his poll reputation as overpaying) which now became Marner's new target comparable.. Marner would also be an RFA which meant they had offersheet leverage which they were banking on which now raised their floor to ~$10.5 mil ask [OS compensation for 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick). Marner also lead the Leafs in scoring in back to back years now to use against Dubas.

Dubas had done everything wrong to get to this point .. The Nylander deal that took that last second to get done, sent a shock wave through KD of an event he didn't want to repeat again. He needed to get Marner signed before Matthews to remove internal comparables and he should have had enough foresight to know that $8.5 mil X 8 was the deal he needed to take anticipating the upcoming events.

So when you go from $8.5 mil X 8 claiming too rich ----> $10.8.93 mil X 6 one season later because Marner improved his stats from 69 -94 points (+25 points) to accepting that Matthews contract was now Marner's new comparable you're now earning your reputation among scouts as the easiest GM to get played by agents. That mistake cost Dubas +$2.4 mil extra cap for 6 years and lost 2 years of service in the process.

Dubas couldn't have handled the 3 Amigo's contracts any worse, unless of course you're player agents and want the best deal for your clients. Greenhorn GM got taken to the cleaners by seasoned experienced player agents and now holds the title by a significant margin as the NHL most generous GM when it comes to handing out contracts.
Correct me if I'm wrong but even before Matthews signed his contract extension, I thought Marner and Ferris told Dubas they wanted to wait until after the 2019 season to get it done.

Also what about the reports how Columbus and Minnesota considered offer sheeting Marner which obviously never happened. Now I also know there was reports of Marner possibly wanting a 4 year offer sheet, however in the end he never signed one despite the threat of it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Correct me if I'm wrong but even before Matthews signed his contract extension, I thought Marner and Ferris told Dubas they wanted to wait until after the 2019 season to get it done.

Also what about the reports how Columbus and Minnesota considered offer sheeting Marner which obviously never happened. Now I also know there was reports of Marner possibly wanting a 4 year offer sheet, however in the end he never signed one despite the threat of it.
Marner made an offer that Dubas declined before the season started. Once that happened they informed Dubas that they wouldn’t negotiate in season.
It’s believed Columbus presented an offer sheet that Marner declined. He was never going to sign one and leave.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Marner made an offer that Dubas declined before the season started. Once that happened they informed Dubas that they wouldn’t negotiate in season.
It’s believed Columbus presented an offer sheet that Marner declined. He was never going to sign one and leave.
So was it fair to say that the threat of an offer sheet for Marner was over blown in the media at least by Darren Dreger since he seemed to be the only insider who would talk about it, where as if Matthews became an RFA chances are Arizona would have given him an offer sheet and it's something Elliotte Friedman said would have happened. The only thing we won't ever know if Matthews would have signed it.

Friedman: Coyotes eyed Auston Matthews offer sheet before extension

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
So was it fair to say that the threat of an offer sheet for Marner was over blown in the media at least by Darren Dreger since he seemed to be the only insider who would talk about it, where as if Matthews became an RFA chances are Arizona would have given him an offer sheet and it's something Elliotte Friedman said would have happened. The only thing we won't ever know if Matthews would have signed it.

Friedman: Coyotes eyed Auston Matthews offer sheet before extension
I don’t believe offer sheets were a serious threat for either of them. Dreger was just firing up the fans looking for attention.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Marner made an offer that Dubas declined before the season started.
This is false. You are pushing this completely unsubstantiated claim that makes literally zero sense based on known information, while at the same time completely dismissing the valid offer sheet threats that existed for these players.

Reactions: kb

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don’t believe offer sheets were a serious threat for either of them. Dreger was just firing up the fans looking for attention.

According to his agent and Marner they claimed the got offer(s) but this might have been more of damage control after the fact.
Ferris: Marner received two offer sheets

According to Mitch Marner's agent, Darren Ferris, the Maple Leafs winger was presented with two different offer sheets during the off-season before reaching a six-year, $65.36 million contract with Toronto on Friday.

"There were two presented to him in the summer, two opportunities which he declined and he told me 'Darren, I don't want to sign them, I want to be a Leaf,'" Ferris told First Up on TSN Radio 1050 Toronto on Monday. "So, we declined both of those opportunities and I know Kyle (Dubas) was aware of one them, the team had actually told him that they had made the overture to Mitch and there was a very strong likelihood there were more that would be presented once the season started as you know, the cap number gets set and makes it more difficult for a team to match.

Marner confirmed on Monday that he did receive offer sheets, but never seriously considered signing one.

"Early in the summer, Marner said. "And the whole the goal of this was to be a Toronto Maple Leaf, so it wasn't in our head too much. As soon as Darren mentioned it, I told him right away I don't want to explore that option. Like I said, I didn't want to miss training camp, I didn't want to miss any games this season so that's why I really forced the issue with Kyle to make sure we got something done to get me here and I'm happy it happened."

Darren Ferris: Mitch Marner received two offer sheets before re-signing with Toronto Maple Leafs - TSN.ca

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
According to his agent and Marner they claimed the got offer(s) but this might have been more of damage control after the fact.
Ferris: Marner received two offer sheets

According to Mitch Marner's agent, Darren Ferris, the Maple Leafs winger was presented with two different offer sheets during the off-season before reaching a six-year, $65.36 million contract with Toronto on Friday.

"There were two presented to him in the summer, two opportunities which he declined and he told me 'Darren, I don't want to sign them, I want to be a Leaf,'" Ferris told First Up on TSN Radio 1050 Toronto on Monday. "So, we declined both of those opportunities and I know Kyle (Dubas) was aware of one them, the team had actually told him that they had made the overture to Mitch and there was a very strong likelihood there were more that would be presented once the season started as you know, the cap number gets set and makes it more difficult for a team to match.

Marner confirmed on Monday that he did receive offer sheets, but never seriously considered signing one.

"Early in the summer, Marner said. "And the whole the goal of this was to be a Toronto Maple Leaf, so it wasn't in our head too much. As soon as Darren mentioned it, I told him right away I don't want to explore that option. Like I said, I didn't want to miss training camp, I didn't want to miss any games this season so that's why I really forced the issue with Kyle to make sure we got something done to get me here and I'm happy it happened."

Darren Ferris: Mitch Marner received two offer sheets before re-signing with Toronto Maple Leafs - TSN.ca
I could have worded my statement better, I was referring to the bolded.

Reactions: Mess

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its not just player agents that know generous Dubas is their guy, as GTA reports by the media also understand Dubas pays full market price and then some.

Maple Leafs have lowballed Mitch Marner in contract talks, agent says

Attention salespeople of the GTA: If Kyle Dubas walks into your car dealership or purveyor of luxury goods in the days to come, consider it your lucky day. The general manager of the Maple Leafs is quickly gaining a reputation as a walking payday for commission-based sales agents.

Not that he isn’t doing a competent job running the world’s richest hockey club. He is, and the Jake Muzzin acquisition is Exhibit A. Not that his team isn’t a Stanley Cup contender. It’s just that when it comes to negotiating terms on certain key purchases, the rookie executive has not proven himself particularly deft at procuring discounts. Call him No Dicker Dubas. Hockey demands its denizens “pay the price.” The Leafs GM seems to shrug and fork over full-market retail.

Maple Leafs have lowballed Mitch Marner in contract talks, agent says

Marner's agent says Leafs have lowballed him in contract talks

On the day that saw Auston Matthews handed a hefty five-year contract extension worth north of $58 million, not everyone is getting the impression the team is looking to pay its stars generously.

With Matthews signed, eyes now turn to pending restricted free agent Mitch Marner. Marner's camp has already gone on record stating they will not negotiate a contract in-season. His agent, Darren Ferris, revealed Tuesday that stance is due to a severe undervaluation by the Maple Leafs in prior discussions. In the process, Ferris then made a clarification on his clarification to Feschuk, ultimately stating that while Ferris made comments about the Maple Leafs lowballing Marner on Tuesday, those comments were related to alleged lowball offers from the summer.

"So far they've been trying to lowball (Marner)," Ferris said, according to Dave Feschuk of the Toronto Star. "That's the reason we've come to this point."

Unlike recent deals signed by Matthews and William Nylander, Ferris said the club has asked Marner to meet it halfway on a team-friendly pact.

Matthews contract “great for all players,” Ferris says, and might guarantee Marner won’t be signed at a discount price. "Nobody else is taking a discount. And now you're asking (Marner) to take one again? It's nonsense," Ferris said.

"Mitch will get what Mitch is due. But as far as the Maple Leafs, it's up to them how they value him. If it works out with them, it works out," Ferris said. "We'll see at the end of the year what their position is and whether they're motivated to sign Mitch or not. It's totally up to them."

Marner's agent says Leafs have lowballed him in contract talks

Last edited:

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
jfc, I haven't trolled these forums for a while, and you guys are stilling arguing about whether Dubas gives out bad contracts?

Every GM overpays on deals. There are two Dubas deals that are probably rich by a million each or so.

Compare that to every other GM in the league. I guarantee that ~2m overpay on the roster is on the extremely low side. And it was on the three of the best young players in the league.

Another way to think of this: how much would we get back for Matthews or Marner with the contacts they are on? Answer: a huge haul. Ergo, yeah, no, sorry, not really much of an overpay.

Reactions: Menzinger

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
jfc, I haven't trolled these forums for a while, and you guys are stilling arguing about whether Dubas gives out bad contracts?

Every GM overpays on deals. There are two Dubas deals that are probably rich by a million each or so.

Compare that to every other GM in the league. I guarantee that ~2m overpay on the roster is on the extremely low side. And it was on the three of the best young players in the league.

Another way to think of this: how much would we get back for Matthews or Marner with the contacts they are on? Answer: a huge haul. Ergo, yeah, no, sorry, not really much of an overpay.
This conversation is about how Agents view Dubas when looking to get their clients a contract. Seems the young Leaf GM is very popular.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
This conversation is about how Agents view Dubas when looking to get their clients a contract. Seems the young Leaf GM is very popular.
It does seem a bit odd how people only focus on slight overpayments to 2 superstars, rather than the equivalent money in overpayments to average players that every gm has done. I'm referring to posters here, not agents.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It does seem a bit odd how people only focus on slight overpayments to 2 superstars, rather than the equivalent money in overpayments to average players that every gm has done. I'm referring to posters here, not agents.
Can't speak for everyone but for myself I care little about what other GM's do.
I've never believed that one persons mistake gives another a free pass.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In his 3 years as the Leafs GM let's remember the generous contracts Lou Lamoriello had given out. While they don't look as fancy compared to what Tavares, Matthews, Marner and Nylander signed for, they were still generous when you look at the players age, worth and experience at the time.

Matt Martin: Signed July 1, 2016 to a 4 year/$10 million contract worth $2.5 million AAV.

Patrick Marleau: Signed July 2, 2017 to a 3 year/$18.75 million contract worth $6.25 million AAV, plus at the time he was 38 years old.

Nikita Zaitsev: Re-signed May 2, 2017 after playing 1 year in the NHL to a 7 year/$31.5 million contract worth $4.5 milliion AAV.

The only reason why Lamoriello only got 1 vote is because of his reputation of being hard to negotiate with, despite recent history of giving out bad contracts and it goes back to his time in New Jersey and continued since he became the Islanders GM.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
In his 3 years as the Leafs GM let's remember the generous contracts Lou Lamoriello had given out. While they don't look as fancy compared to what Tavares, Matthews, Marner and Nylander signed for, they were still generous when you look at the players age, worth and experience at the time.

Matt Martin: Signed July 1, 2016 to a 4 year/$10 million contract worth $2.5 million AAV.

Patrick Marleau: Signed July 2, 2017 to a 3 year/$18.75 million contract worth $6.25 million AAV, plus at the time he was 38 years old.

Nikita Zaitsev: Re-signed May 2, 2017 after playing 1 year in the NHL to a 7 year/$31.5 million contract worth $4.5 milliion AAV.

The only reason why Lamoriello only got 1 vote is because of his reputation of being hard to negotiate with, despite recent history of giving out bad contracts and it goes back to his time in New Jersey and continued since he became the Islanders GM.

If you go back and look at Lou's contracts since the cap came in, Rielly and Kadri are the only major ones that you could say are market value, everyone else from Kovalchuk to Clowe to Komarov range from obvious overpayments to absolutely brutal franchise crippling unforced errors.

Imagine the outcry if Dubas gave Tavares a 20 year contract just so Tavares could hit a vanity number and say he has a 100 million dollar contract, and then the league fined us, cancelled the contract, and took away our 1st, and then Tavares left for the KHL a year later, and it led to Matthews walking in UFA for free. But no, Lou's a tough negotiator unless you're 30+ year old grinder with declining numbers.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Yes he got schooled but that is over now. Most of us would have crushed him on here had he taken Paul's 9M 8 year deal the summer before. In retrospect it would have been a solid deal. But that's life. Every deal looks horrible at start and as long as player performs and CAP goes up it is fine. Now with cOVID probably 2-3 years of issues.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If you go back and look at Lou's contracts since the cap came in, Rielly and Kadri are the only major ones that you could say are market value, everyone else from Kovalchuk to Clowe to Komarov range from obvious overpayments to absolutely brutal franchise crippling unforced errors.

Imagine the outcry if Dubas gave Tavares a 20 year contract just so Tavares could hit a vanity number and say he has a 100 million dollar contract, and then the league fined us, cancelled the contract, and took away our 1st, and then Tavares left for the KHL a year later, and it led to Matthews walking in UFA for free. But no, Lou's a tough negotiator unless you're 30+ year old grinder with declining numbers.
When Rielly and Kadri signed their current contracts it's not like they had any leverage to want as much money as possible, because the Leafs weren't a good team at the time.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Lou Lam has nothing to do with Dubas.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I realize that. I'm just saying in regards to this poll a case can be made that since the salary cap Lamoriello has been very generous with the contracts he's given to other players. However because of his reputation is why he only got 1 vote.
No idea why the Agents voted why they did. Crazy thought but perhaps they were just being truthful?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
No idea why the Agents voted why they did. Crazy thought but perhaps they were just being truthful?
Or way more accurately, the 5 agents who voted Dubas of the countless NHL agents that exist, were likely going entirely off of indirect reputation and recency bias, not reality, like literally every opinion poll ever, especially in the hockey industry.

Reactions: Menzinger

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yes he got schooled but that is over now. Most of us would have crushed him on here had he taken Paul's 9M 8 year deal the summer before. In retrospect it would have been a solid deal. But that's life. Every deal looks horrible at start and as long as player performs and CAP goes up it is fine. Now with cOVID probably 2-3 years of issues.

True enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad