News Article: Agents Poll: Dubas voted the best GM to get client a good deal from

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Not that Dubas had much restriction, it has more to do with MLSE, but considering everything that's going on, how much more valuable do you guys think all those random call ups for the random Marlies are. All that extra cash that Dubas and MLSE was able to get those players. Sorry I just randomly had this thought so thought I'd share.

Reactions: AreBe

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Tavares is not moving to the wing. He's never been a burner or particularly good skater. He's always gotten by on his hockey IQ. That wont fail him anytime soon.

Where do people come up with these ideas? It's like the poster who said Tyson Barrie wouldn't dress for the playoff series vs. Columbus.

Just ridiculous.
Before Tavares signed here it was discussed. It is not ridiculous at all. In fact it may occur faster than you think. This year was a little different as he had some health issues which affected his play.
And Barrie likely will get a game 1 start in playoffs to prove himself but it may be as 7th defense with 11 forwards. We will see what Keefe does.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Before Tavares signed here it was discussed. It is not ridiculous at all. In fact it may occur faster than you think. This year was a little different as he had some health issues which affected his play.
And Barrie likely will get a game 1 start in playoffs to prove himself but it may be as 7th defense with 11 forwards. We will see what Keefe does.

Where was Tavares to wing discussed? I've never personally seen it.

Barrie will not be the 7th Dman going into the playoffs. He's firmly entrenched in the top 4. He was 2nd on the entire team in both TOI/Game and ES TOI/Game.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Where was Tavares to wing discussed? I've never personally seen it.

Barrie will not be the 7th Dman going into the playoffs. He's firmly entrenched in the top 4. He was 2nd on the entire team in both TOI/Game and ES TOI/Game.
We will see soon enough when boys start to skate where Keefe is at ... expect Rielly Ceci then Muzzy Holl and then Dermy Barrie/Sandin ... I don't like it but I think this is what you will see at start of camp

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Tavares is a center. Matthews on the other hand really seems like a big bodied fast scoring LW who happens to be able to play center well at the NHL level.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Yes, MacKinnon signed that contract just this season! What a steal by Sakic!

Or, perhaps coming off 38 and 52 point seasons, he was....possibly overpaid? He also had 16 goals and 53 point in 82 games his first season with that contract.

Your sentence shows not only a lack of basic knowledge, but also an appalling
lack of basic awareness.

This entire post is hilarious.
True, but I still don’t understand why Marner deserved that much more than Rantanen when you look at their production over the last two seasons. Either Rantanen should fire his agent or Dubas overpaid, which one is it?

Reactions: Garthinater

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
True, but I still don’t understand why Marner deserved that much more than Rantanen when you look at their production over the last two seasons. Either Rantanen should fire his agent or Dubas overpaid, which one is it?
Colorado just under 5% flat tax state and Ontario is a little over 13% tax. Plus add in Mitch is a little better player. plus add in Dubie paid a little more to get Mitch to camp on time.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think what he meant even if he doesn't overpay, we lose those players to other teams.
Would you rather slighty overpay to keep them, or lose them all together?
I know what I would choose.
How do we lose RFAs with no arbitration rights? I think Lou would have offered a deal in line with their comparables and the players would have eventually taken it because it’s a much better option than sitting out.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last Year Playoffs (COL 4-1 CAL, COL 3-4 SJS):

COL TOI

1. D Barrie 24:11 (+1)
2. C MacKinnon 23:43 (-4)
3. W Landeskog 23:13 (-2)
4. W Rantanen 21:39 (-1)
5. D Johnson 19:14 (-1)

Reactions: Menzinger

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Dubas also should have waited for Rantanen to sign before giving Marner that deal. He could have got a better deal working off Rantanens 9.2 million comparable.

Reactions: Garthinater

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Dubas also should have waited for Rantanen to sign before giving Marner that deal. He could have got a better deal working off Rantanens 9.2 million comparable.
Rantanen was waiting for Marner to sign first because he knew he'd bend Dubas over but even when he did Sakic just ignored the contract and told Rants just because Dubas is a weak bitch doesn't mean everyone else has to follow his lead .

and Dubas had the perfect comparable's when dealing with Mathews in McD as the ceiling and Eichek as the floor but still got f***ed over by giving AM 3 less years term

Reactions: phillipmike

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
he signs Marner before Matthews and it wouldn't have mattered.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
and you're forgetting the most important letter which says it's impossible for a player to walk if his team wants to keep him

I'm forgetting nothing. The poster implied that Lou could have magically forced the players into a "take what I'm asking or sit out' scenario which is only valid if the player are unwilling to chance going anywhere else AND no other team is willing to offer more than Lou.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I still don’t understand why Marner deserved that much more than Rantanen
Because he was a much better player.
Either Rantanen should fire his agent or Dubas overpaid, which one is it?
Literally neither. Rantanen agent did quite well, and Marner isn't overpaid; he's just better. You're just letting a team stat like PP TOI massively impact your perception of players.

Reactions: Menzinger

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Tavares is a center. Matthews on the other hand really seems like a big bodied fast scoring LW who happens to be able to play center well at the NHL level.

Im sorry but this is ridiculous. Matthews has been amazing at center and dominates play on both ends of the ice. Including face-offs, takeaways, TOI, barely any PIMS. He has some of the best metrics for a center in the league... In no way is he just a "big bodied fast scoring LW who happens to be able to play center well at the NHL level."

Smh...

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
It is what it is. There were some rfas that got underpaid too. But AM and MM could have had better deals.

Tavares and nylander were fine albeit pricey contracts.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Im sorry but this is ridiculous. Matthews has been amazing at center and dominates play on both ends of the ice. Including face-offs, takeaways, TOI, barely any PIMS. He has some of the best metrics for a center in the league... In no way is he just a "big bodied fast scoring LW who happens to be able to play center well at the NHL level."

Smh...

Apparently you have to never shoot and only pass to be a center, even if you have a top-2 shot in the league and 50% of your passing options are Zach Hyman.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
I'm forgetting nothing. The poster implied that Lou could have magically forced the players into a "take what I'm asking or sit out' scenario which is only valid if the player are unwilling to chance going anywhere else AND no other team is willing to offer more than Lou.
And teams may be happy to offer more than Lou
And teams may be happy to offer more than Lou simply to force the Leafs to match

What people do not understand is that you pay for what a player will be and not what they were.

The contract does not need to make sense today, it needs to make sense in 2 or 3 years time on a 5-year deal- then you are the smart one.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A good GM shouldn't really need to get played on timing if he understands player comparables and the market.

However you could see Darren Ferris setting up his easy mark Dubas with the long game con with Marner. When Dubas called their last summer offer rumoured as the Draisaitl deal @ $8.5 mil X 8 as "to rich for his blood", Ferris said "fine see you next year as no in season negotiations were going to happen" until he could set the stage.

He knew at this point he had all the leverage against Dubas.. Marner was scheduled to play the year on Tavares wing and racking up big points accordingly as they bet on themselves, which was going to make his client rich, and make Dubas pay dearly.

Ferris also knew Dubas would not let Matthews get to RFA status for fear of an OS, that he would have to match, so he knew Matthews was going to get one of the richest NHL contracts in cap history. Not sure Ferris anticipated his good fortune when Matthew's agent Judd Moldaver got Dubas to pay top UFA $$ rates for only 1 year of UFA status on a 5 year deal. With McDavid and Eichel the ceiling and floor of 8 years deals, the highway robbery of Dubas getting only 5 years while still using their $$ rates as comparables sent earthquake magnitude shock waves through the NHL that could have been measured on a Richter scale.

He also knew at that point it really didn't matter what other teams comparables players would sign for, because his plan as we would soon discover publicity that Marner was going to use Matthews as his only comparable as his contract ceiling and use his own offersheet threat of $10 mil min as the floor.

The trap was set and the little mouse walk right into it, and as such Dubas has rightlfully earned his reputation around the NHL player agents circles as the GM they know they can get the best deal for their client.

Somehow player agents around the NHL have set up their own Toronto only financial Eco system, when dealing with Dubas so that they get him to hand out rich $$$ contracts as if Toronto is the only market, and he has to constantly negotiate against himself only. Which makes his contracts market setting standards, without needing outside contracts to drive those prices.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
You know it's bad when even the agents are aware of just how awful dubas is with contracts.

Why is this nerd with zero pro hockey experience running the biggest hockey market in the world?

It honestly makes no sense.

And people wonder why our team has been worse since he took over.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Can they not afford a skilled negotiator or two to do all the heavy lifting on contracts and Dubas can just sign on the dotted line? Let the negotiators know your parameters and what you are looking for, take their advice based on their own research and call it a day.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
None of our contracts are bad they just could have been better. I think moving forward it’s time for Dubas to approach contract negotiations with a refusal to pay more than our division rivals are for comparable players. The Atlantic division is very competitive, Toronto, Tampa and Boston are all trying to pack the best possible roster under the salary cap and we’re not gonna beat those teams if they keep getting comparable players signed to better deals than us.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad