After today’s 2 trades, which scenario do our prefer?

Which scenario would you take in a Marner offersheet?

• Total voters

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Option 1: Marner gets offersheeted for 10.5M *7 years, and we sign the contract.

Option 2: Marner gets offersheeted for 10.5M *7 years, we take the 4 1sts, we sign the best possible FA that’s leftover willing to take a 1 year deal this year, and then we acquire a young player (F/D) to replace most of Marner’s impact within next season/offseason with some of the value of the 4 1sts we acquire (OR sign a Panarin type for free)

Last edited:

Cotton

May 13, 2013
As soon as I read "sign Gardiner" in option 2 you lost me.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking the picks for Marner, but not at 10.5Mx7, you match that all day.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I would definitely take the 4 first rounders. It doesn't necessarily mean I would sign Gardiner, it does mean I have 1 or 2 1st rounders to flip come deadline day, and 2 more in the bank for whatever I decide to do with them.

Plus, some cash under the cap to play with.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Can’t see the Leafs circling back to Gardiner as we have too much talent on the LHD end with Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, and Sandin.

Gardiner is basically a UFA so what’s the difference signing him vs any other Dman. We have the freedom to get a RHD or just go straight after a Marner replacement.

I would absolutely take compensation and let Marner leave. Even the 2x 1sts + 2nd + 3rd is worth consideration.

Imagine if the offer sheet by Montreal was directed at Point by Dubas. In this scenario where we lose Marner for 1,1,2,3 and we get Point for 1,2,3 we essentially trade Marner for Point + 1st + $2-4M cap space. Don’t get me wrong I’m not sold on letting Marner go for 1,1,2,3 but just to think of it in that perspective. And that’s in a world where Marner doesn’t command the 4x 1st compensation.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Option 1: Marner gets offersheeted for 10.5M *7 years, and we sign the contract.

Option 2: Marner gets offersheeted for 10.5M *7 years, we take the 4 1sts, we sign Gardiner for 1 year @ 7.5M, and then we acquire a young player (F/D) to replace most of Marner’s impact within next season/offseason with some of the value of the 4 1sts we acquire (OR sign a Panarin type for free)

Look if you get 4x 1sts for Mitch you take the 1sts. If Jake were to take 1 year for 7m, I would do that to solidify possibly the best D in the League. I would then sign Barrie for term after we win the Conference. I imagine we would be getting a top 6 rental as well, someone really good.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Sign the contract, but if it was a more stupid contract, take the picks and offersheet another RFA.

Gardiner is done here. I think he's going to MTL.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
10.5m x 7 for Marner?

Gimme that. Please oh please gimme that.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Why Gardiner - especially after acquiring Barrie
I just picked him because he’s by far the best dman left in FA today so he’s a free asset only spending a portion of the Marner 10.5M cap we don’t use.

And OFD or not, this is a plenty fine d-core, and we can revamp it towards the Reilly/Dermott/Sandin/Liljegren core next season with the rest being UFAs:

Rielly-Barrie
Dermott-Gardiner
Muzzin-Ceci

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I’m surprised at the substantial lean towards option 1.

Think it’s heavily caused by a lack of future-focused thinking of just how valuable that 10.5M of cap space AND 4 1sts is, and the bias of people being in love with Marner, but to each their own. Hell, just imagine if the Marner offersheet happened last season and today we have a Sandin level prospect from the 2019 1st round pick, AND 3 1st rounders AND Panarin.

I don’t think .5-1M extra in an offersheet should change your decision in this scenario though.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I’m surprised at the substantial lean towards option 1.

Think it’s heavily caused by a lack of future-focused thinking of just how valuable that 10.5M of cap space AND 4 1sts is, and the bias of people being in love with Marner, but to each their own. Hell, just imagine if the Marner offersheet happened last season and today we have a Sandin level prospect from the 2019 1st round pick, AND 3 1st rounders AND Panarin.

I don’t think .5-1M extra in an offersheet should change your decision in this scenario though.

It doesn't say what group of picks... If it's 4x unprotected 1sts, thats a lot of currency to trade + a lot of cap + we have a really good team that attracts UFA no problem + it's a lot of cap + it's a lot of cap and did I mention 4x 1sts that are unprotected.

Basically 4x 1sts unprotected is a no brainer, you let him walk and fill it with trade and UFA or right now, just sign Barrie and Muzzin to term, we need D as well.

Reactions: MR4

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
It doesn't say what group of picks... If it's 4x unprotected 1sts, thats a lot of currency to trade + a lot of cap + we have a really good team that attracts UFA no problem + it's a lot of cap + it's a lot of cap and did I mention 4x 1sts that are unprotected.

Basically 4x 1sts unprotected is a no brainer, you let him walk and fill it with trade and UFA or right now, just sign Barrie and Muzzin to term, we need D as well.
This, exactly. Marner’s a luxury on our team in all honesty. And at any dollar over 10M IMO we should be taking the free cap & 1st rounders that are as liquid as cash in our league.

Reactions: pucci2001

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Marner & Ceci for Lindholm, Rakell, 1st

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Tavares - Rakell
Micheyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Marchement - Spezza - Moore

Rielly - Lindholm
Muzzin - - Barrie
Harpur - Dermott

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Marner is not getting offersheeted...other teams aren't paying and he won't sign a cheaper than expected offer from any of those teams.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
There is no space for Gardiner on this team - 28 with back injuries now and a history of collaspes in playoff games.

Rielly, Dermott, Sandin

Where does Gardiner fit on that left side?

Reactions: dsred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad