Podcast (Audio) After the Whistle

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Trying giving this a spin again and listened to this:

While I appreciate Rivet's passion, him bagging on Olofsson as a PP only player when 75% of what he put up this year prior to getting hurt and after have been 5-on-5 and it ignores him scoring that netfront goal that the league saw fit to disallow in the Ranger game a few weeks ago.

It's like their opinion of players is set in stone. Dahlin blows, Olofsson's PP only, we don't know where these guys are from...

*sigh*

WTF.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY

While I appreciate Rivet's passion, him bagging on Olofsson as a PP only player when 75% of what he put up this year prior to getting hurt and after have been 5-on-5 and it ignores him scoring that netfront goal that the league saw fit to disallow in the Ranger game a few weeks ago.

It's like their opinion of players is set in stone. Dahlin blows, Olofsson's PP only, we don't know where these guys are from...

*sigh*

WTF.

Is there a former hockey player that hates hockey as much as Jeremy Roenick? He’s SO SALTY about getting axed from NBC. I can’t stand him.

The pod was unique at first, but their opinions are so bland. They provide almost zero meaningful insight besides hit someone when you’re down 6-1.

It’s much better when they have Gionta, or Friedman, or when they had Ryan Leaf on.

Reactions: Jacob582

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is there a former hockey player that hates hockey as much as Jeremy Roenick? He’s SO SALTY about getting axed from NBC. I can’t stand him.

The pod was unique at first, but their opinions are so bland. They provide almost zero meaningful insight besides hit someone when you’re down 6-1.

It’s much better when they have Gionta, or Friedman, or when they had Ryan Leaf on.

That's the same thought I had when they were on GR in terms of things staying fresh.

I didn't like JR as a player. I didn't care for him as a commentator but less so than Milbury and in some ways even less than the Canadian Hockey Punditry who will make up something on air that becomes a consistent talking point that suddenly changes when a player changes teams (especially if the player goes to a Canadian team). It's like clockwork.

Reactions: oldgoalie

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Is there a former hockey player I hate more than Jeremy Roenick?

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I listened to the Ryan Leaf interview on ATW mentioned above. Based on that interview, I decided to listed to the Ryan Leaf podcast called Bust.

Pretty gripping stuff filled with his story - as told by him - from the viewpoint of someone after the fall from a privileged second overall pick who ultimately realizes that he was a total douchebag who self destructed, lost everything and ruined his own life.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011

*sigh*

WTF.

Some of what they say is true. The Tampa game was brutal. They were uninterested in getting involved and this show was seemingly recorded the day after. We were all bitter after the Tampa game.
I hope their next episode is recorded today. The day after watching the Nashville game. Much better frame of mind thank you.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Some of what they say is true. The Tampa game was brutal. They were uninterested in getting involved and this show was seemingly recorded the day after. We were all bitter after the Tampa game.
I hope their next episode is recorded today. The day after watching the Nashville game. Much better frame of mind thank you.

Some of it is true and I get what Peters said - they got thumped and it doesn't require hitting someone to hurt them to be able to finish a check. It's not all bad, just frustrating that there is no evolution in their talking points month to month, year to year.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think what it provides is insight as to how players might view situations, although their are probably many players feeling differently than these two on a multitude of topics.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I checked out "Maintenance Day" with Yerdon and Lysowski (only the latest episode) and enjoyed that. I don't really find the Peters/Rivet pod all that insightful. They blow off analytics, Rivet can't relate to the kids that play the game today, Peters tries to be a decent producer, but he's just not that good at it. It could improve if they hired a producer/researcher. There is only so much shooting the shit that one can listen to.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Craig & Petey have some really good points in this episode.

Sabres Fans want more effort. You cannot disguise effort to Sabres fans.

Sabres Not hitting enough

Sabres will need to trade for RD, no FA will come here

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
This is the only hockey podcast i regularly listen to if being honest.

I like both of Rivet/Peters. Sure - they aren't the most knowledgable - but i like their passion & the ex-player insight.

I'm a fan of JR - so naturally look forward to the episodes where he joins them.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
I totally agree with Rivs and Peters. Im for now willing to give #71 a pass based on maybe hes injured.

Now, heres what i see, the top two lines are skilled lines, if they score and produce i can understand not totally finishing your checks.

However, if you're a bottom 6er, and especially if you're on the 4th line, where you arent scoring, you better start laying the heavy hits. Bjork and Hayden are basically create a hockey player from NHL 2006. They dont score, dont create chances and dont get their licks in. They are essily replaced by a hologram of Patrick Kaleta.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Think I listened to this yesterday with a good amount of RD talk with Gio. The boys are looking for a big, defensive guy
Riv's golf story is great lol. and his Calgary game expectations were not good. I would politely suggest Gionta gets on top of current hockey events a little bit more.

• Haha
Reactions: Matt Ress

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
They do a great job with their guest. EF is on every Monday/Tuesday, Political views aside, RJ tells some great stories and is on every Wednesday and Gio is just awesome whenever he's on. Really glad they went the podcast route! The show is way more enjoyable when they can say what they want.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Didn’t care for the wgr show but gave this a shot to hear them shitting on Eichel. If you combined the two of them you’d have a great host but as is they could stand to benefit from a stronger hand pulling the strings

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
ATW episode #76 they talked about the need for veteran leadership. Carlo Colaiacovo was shocked that the Sabres didn't turn it around after he left Buffalo (47:25). He also felt they went youth movement too early (not bring back Legwand for instance).

He talked about giving the "C" to Jack too early (51:17).

(Shows the importance of players like Okposo)

They talked about Tim Murray (40:35) and Darcy Regier communication styles.

He shared his view on the Sabres this season (55:17) - talking about Coach Granato.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad