After Ovechkin, who deserves their 1st cup the most

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Has to be a Canadian that grew up dreaming about winning the cup so I say Iginla or Thornton.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
There are at least a half dozen players more deserving then Alexander Ovechkin.

Joe Thornton
Jarome Iginla
Sedin twins
Henrik Lundqvist
Roberto Luongo
Dan Hamhuis (homer pick)
Carey Price
Zach Parise

and last, but certainly not least

Shane Doan.

great list. Doan was the first guy i thought of, actually.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I'd say Hank deserves one the most out of anyone in the league but I'm a Rangers fan so..

Shane Doan refuses to leave Phoenix, so I don't know what to say about him deserving it the most.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
I'd say Hank deserves one the most out of anyone in the league but I'm a Rangers fan so..

Shane Doan refuses to leave Phoenix, so I don't know what to say about him deserving it the most.

So a player who is loyal to an organization doesn't get considered worthy enough of winning a team award? That would be something I would have on a list when making an argument for them deserving it.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Combination of being a great player and even very good in the playoffs. His teams have largely come up short for other reasons than him.

If he was that great and deserving of a cup wouldn't he had overcome all his team's shortcomings and one at least won cup by now?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If he was that great and deserving of a cup wouldn't he had overcome all his team's shortcomings and one at least won cup by now?

Um... no. Hockey's a team sport, although you wouldn't know it playing beer league. One guy can't win a cup despite the rest of his team being outplayed. Doesn't work that way.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Thornton is the only player I can think of...

Iginla chased the $$$, Ovechkin chased $$$, Doan deliberately chose a security blanket.

My opinion, players like Hossa "deserve" Cups, they leave big money on the table to join or stay on a winning team.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Joe Thornton, Jarome Iginla, Henrik Lundqvist, Shane Doan

Those 4 are far and away the most deserving. Though I'd say Thornton tops this list by a decent amount too. But, Sharks fan.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
So a player who is loyal to an organization doesn't get considered worthy enough of winning a team award? That would be something I would have on a list when making an argument for them deserving it.

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only fan that appreciates loyalty to the organization that gave you your chance.

Slapstick

May 17, 2015
No one. The Cup is earned.
Yes and no. The Cup is a team award not a individual one. NHL is a closed league with salary caps, a individual can do very little to change the outcome sometimes cuz of factors out of his control.

If you were talking about football (Association football) i would agree to some extent. If you are good enough you will get paid more and you will get the chance to be moved to a better team, in the NHL it does not work like that.

Last edited:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Thornton is the only player I can think of...

Iginla chased the $$$, Ovechkin chased $$$, Doan deliberately chose a security blanket.

My opinion, players like Hossa "deserve" Cups, they leave big money on the table to join or stay on a winning team.

How did Ovechkin Chase the $$$ and what are you talking about?

Tmu84

- Tmuussoni
Feb 2, 2011
Funland
Nobody has as many haters as Ovi. So another reason why Ovi deserves it the most. By far the best player with greatest accomplishments without a cup at the moment. It's that simple. Would be a shame if he will turn out à la Marcel Dionne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad