After Ovechkin, who deserves their 1st cup the most

Muh

Beadle
Dec 9, 2010
Sloatsburg, NY
How do we determine who deserves it most? Longest tenured? Best player without a cup?

Maybe it was covered in the 5 pages before my post, so apologies in advance. But what current player in league has had most Cup appearances without winning? Or most CF/Cup appearnces without winning?

I'll vote that guy.

NYRcupboundyessir*

1) To people saying "no one deserves a cup," that's just psuedo tough talk you feel like you should say to be a hard ass. Guys who deserve a cup are the ones who put their heart and soul into their game and into leading their team, but are let down by coaching, management, or the poor efforts of teammates. And it really can only be considered that they "deserve" a cup by the time at which they are no longer really good enough to lead a team, but they shouldn't be anchors holding out past being useful either.

And if your response to me is "it doesn't matter how hard you as an individual work, there's some luck involved with your team and how your management works for you" then you are saying the antithesis of your own point in that "a cup is earned not deserved." What else is a guy supposed to do?

2) I don't think Ovi is at that point yet. WSH is still a top team, Ovi is still a top five goal scorer in the league, and he has good management behind him. Call me back in a few years if WSH is out of the playoffs and Ovi can't put up 40 anymore.

3) A few guys who I think off the top of my head?

Lundqvist- One of the greatest of all time in net, and has been very good in the playoffs overall. If it was realistic to give a goalie the C, then he would have it in a snap. He's carried some ****** Rangers teams over the years, and they've let him down severely.

Sedins- Definition of deserving it. They were so good for so long and had all the pieces on the roster to do so but Luongo was never good in the playoffs and they got knocked out by solid teams. They've stayed supremely loyal to the 'Nucks and ownership are ********.

Thornton- Guys one of the playmaking GOATs and has done so much to help his teams win. San Jose has been plagued by depth guys underperforming and Nabby being poor in the playoffs.

Marleau- Great point scorer, same team for twenty years, but he was never a very good leader. Still deservering of a cup though considering what has happened with San Jose.

Doan- Amazing leader all around, incredibly loyal, but he was never of the caliber of the guys above. Also, I question just how much he really wanted the cup. I mean, after all his chances to leave the mickey mouse franchise that has been the Arizona/Phoenix Coyotes, I think he was more worried about his franchise than his trophy case.

Tavares could be with these guys if he re ups with NYI.

To respond to OP, not Giroux here because of the same reasons as Ovi. Still young, still has a good team around him.

I don't think Iginla deserves one. Never had any love for him as a player, and right now he's a corpse on the ice. Also, I don't like the way he's been hunting for a cup for like five years now. It's supposed to be a two or three year search max after leaving a team you know has no chance. For all we know, with Iginla on the wing two years ago, Calgary could have made a run. And now that he's telling the GM he's ready to ship his decrepit, 5m+ ass over to another team to piggyback his way to CUP.

This right here. Would maybe toss Jagr on there as someone who would be cool to see lift it again

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Iggy and Thornton should be at the forefront of the list with a huge dropoff to 3rd

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Jagr. He's been in the league so long and has forgotten what it was like to win it.

ayrton2388

May 23, 2014
You guys can hate Kesler all you want.
But he's one of the hardest workers in the league and, unlike nhl superstars, he brings his A-game every single game, every single shift.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Nobody has as many haters as Ovi. So another reason why Ovi deserves it the most. By far the best player with greatest accomplishments without a cup at the moment. It's that simple. Would be a shame if he will turn out à la Marcel Dionne.

Dionne wasn't a great playoff performer which is why his name a brought up often. OV has been a very good playoff performer,probably TOP 10, during his era.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Joe Thornton, Jarome Iginla, Henrik Lundqvist, Shane Doan

Those 4 are far and away the most deserving. Though I'd say Thornton tops this list by a decent amount too. But, Sharks fan.

This, in your order based on where people are in their careers. I don't think the order is that close either.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
If you are incapable of contributing because you don't think anyone 'deserves a cup', then get the stick out of your pretentious ass and say 'I'd like to see insert player name win a cup because of insert reasons why you want to see this

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Yes and no. The Cup is a team award not a individual one. NHL is a closed league with salary caps, a individual can do very little to change the outcome sometimes cuz of factors out of his control.

If you were talking about football (Association football) i would agree to some extent. If you are good enough you will get paid more and you will get the chance to be moved to a better team, in the NHL it does not work like that.

No. That is false. I've seen players such as Patrick Roy be that person.

If Ovechkin or any other player who is supposedly deserving elevated their game the way Crosby did this year, then he'd have a Cup. Crosby played exceptional two-way hockey in each of his two Cup wins. Ovechkin does not have that facet to his game. For the record, I have never taken a side in the Crosby v Ovechkin debate so that is not it.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
If you are incapable of contributing because you don't think anyone 'deserves a cup', then get the stick out of your pretentious ass and say 'I'd like to see insert player name win a cup because of insert reasons why you want to see this

The thread's question is "deserve". Ask the appropriate question in order to get that desired answer. Saying that "no one" deserves a Cup is a contribution because apparently, we are dealing with a lot of people who believe that people deserve to win because they are their favorite players. That is false. The best deserve to win. Sorry.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Or who do you want to see get the cup? Preferably not a player on your favorite team.

You know who I think deserves a cup? Claude Giroux. I feel like he's a very underappreciated star player who has dealt with a poorly run franchise.

I don't know why people think guys like Ovechkin and Thornton "deserve" or are "entitled" to win a Cup.

If they deserved it or were entitled to it they would have already won it.

I really don't feel that bad for "offense first" players that don't win.

I think the players that deserve a Cup have already won them.

I know my post may rattle some cages but it's the truth.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't know why people think guys like Ovechkin and Thornton "deserve" or are "entitled" to win a Cup.

If they deserved it or were entitled to it they would have already won it.

I really don't feel that bad for "offense first" players that don't win.

I think the players that deserve a Cup have already won them.

I know my post may rattle some cages but it's the truth.

Offense has no place in a run for the Cup.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Torn between Iginla or Thornton. Although, I might go with Thornton because of all the criticism he's received over his career.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
1997 NHL Entry Draft 1st round picks: 1st, 2nd, and 4th

Thornton, Marleau, Luongo

Olli Jokinen was #3 FYI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad