After 82 games with the Islanders it's time to admit that Doug Weight is elite at coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Seriously. It's unbelievable in today's game of strict systems and smothering defense just how bad the Islanders are defensively. It seems like every time the opposition enters their zone, they give up a quality scoring chance because it's a 3 on 2 or because someone is grossly out of position and leaves their man wide open.

I'm not sure Doug Weight even knows what he's doing. Or at the very least, he's incapable of getting his point across.

The one thing I will say in Weight's favor, albeit it properly exposes Garf as an horrendously bad GM, is that he is stuck with utterly horrid, soft dmen and forwards like hickey, pelech, leddy and nelson. Combined, I think they might have 3 checks thrown in their entire NHL careers. That said, if you put Bobby Orr, Rod Langway, Paul Coffey and Shea Weber in their primes on the NYI roster, Weight would not know what to do with them.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
The one thing I will say in Weight's favor, albeit it properly exposes Garf as an horrendously bad GM, is that he is stuck with utterly horrid, soft dmen and forwards like hickey, pelech, leddy and nelson. Combined, I think they might have 3 checks thrown in their entire NHL careers. That said, if you put Bobby Orr, Rod Langway, Paul Coffey and Shea Weber in their primes on the NYI roster, Weight would not know what to do with them.

Funny thing is, leddy has the most hits of his career this season (86)

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Did you even read what I wrote?! Doug Weigth has basically turned Tavares back into a star, turned Leddy into a top Dman, and made stars out of Lee, Bailey and Barzal. He's basically turned the whole offense around and the Islanders are only a few wins away from making the playoffs right now. They'll not just make the playoffs this year, but they'll make it past the second round this time!
[MOD]Defense counts too you know

And no it's not on snow. It's coaching. Pure and simple defense is systemic

Last edited by a moderator:

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Not that many hits for a dman anyways .

As for systems haven't half their dmen been injured for half the season so half of them wouldn't know the system

The others slotted in like pelech, hickey, etc have all been with the team for a while, or played in the NYI AHL affiliate in Bridgeport which uses the same system, so they should be well acquainted with it by now. The only truly new player is Davidson, who actually looks good out there in comparison to the longer-term isles. Its a combination of crap coaching and bad players, the argument is really the percentage of each.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

There has never been a time in NHL history where "soft" players are more well received then now. I dont buy this at all.

The Leafs have like three regular players (and one dman) that hit people with something approaching regularity.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
He needs 7 in the last 13 games, eh.
Weight needs a new profession, coaching is not his best option.
I'm not sure coaching isn't his thing, but they go so quick from retiring, to getting coaching ambitions to coaching a NHL team. They should be forced to log a few years in juniors, AHL and what not before being able to even be an assistant in the NHL. He went from retiring to being an assistant. His first head coach job is in the friggin NHL. The step is to big. He has nothing to show for that proves he deserves that role.

Ii ten years he might be an excellent coach who knows.

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
How the Rangers are in front of them really amazes me, Isles are terribl (rebuilding team, traded away the likes of McDonagh, Nash, Grabner, Miller)
Shattenkirk has been injured the whole season and we're starting a 22 year old goalie who played in Liiga last year
Our defense right now is
Skjei
Pionk
Gilmour
O Gara
Sproul
Staal
(Deangelo injured)
And we have a coach who plays Cody McLeod with Pavel Buchnevich... insane how we're a better team

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
How the Rangers are in front of them really amazes me, Isles are terribl (rebuilding team, traded away the likes of McDonagh, Nash, Grabner, Miller)
Shattenkirk has been injured the whole season and we're starting a 22 year old goalie who played in Liiga last year
Our defense right now is
Skjei
Pionk
Gilmour
O Gara
Sproul
Staal
(Deangelo injured)
And we have a coach who plays Cody McLeod with Pavel Buchnevich... insane how we're a better team
Garth Snow is elite at managing, he got us to where we are now. Who needs defense and goaltending?

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
the best part is that Doug weight is actually both Crosby and McDavid's biological father

But wait, it doesn't end there

Doug weight is really...

Morgan Freeman

Reactions: LeafsAndFlames
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad