After 1 season of Mullett Arena, what's the general vibe/consensus?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Weird, I never noticed them during play. My seats are opposite the student section, a couple rows off the ice… guess I’m blessed because I agree, that’s unacceptable!

I always got a chuckle out of her, at first she didn’t have a megaphone and truth be told, she doesn’t need one! :laugh:
Yea, my wife and I got to know her a bit during the season. Nice young lady. Definitely has pipes.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Went to the Coyote / Bruin games in Czech Republic in 2010, it was fine.
I was there, too. That was in the cavernous O2 Arena in Prague, an NHL size arena, and the audience was pretty much neutral. Not really a representative experience.

The closest thing I've experienced to what Edenjung describes - in America - is sitting behind the Timbers Army at an MLS game in Portland. Not for everyone but can still be fun.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I was there, too. That was in the cavernous O2 Arena in Prague, an NHL size arena, and the audience was pretty much neutral. Not really a representative experience.

The closest thing I've experienced to what Edenjung describes - in America - is sitting behind the Timbers Army at an MLS game in Portland. Not for everyone but can still be fun.
I was
At game seven when Dbacks won the World Series and it was insane, truth be told, I enjoyed….. sometimes i get a bit too serious about hockey, I guess! :laugh:

Edit: I didn’t think it was all that cavernous and while admittedly not overly loud, the Czech’s were a lot of fun with some of their garb etc.!

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
@Coyotedroppings
Its about the Game. Everything the fans do, is because they Show their Support for the Team.
One might think it distracts from the Game, but its awesome. You have the constant Energy of the Fans that Support and Push their Team and you can hear the emotions of them.
It makes the experience of a Game (be it Basketball, Handball, Hockey, Football or whatever) complete.
This is Not done by the Club, but by the supporters. And they watch the Game and enjoy it too. Same goes for the Rest of the Fans.
Personally i never get distracts by such Things. And really Like it.

For example when i recently watched a nba Game between the suns and the Clippers. And i was wondering myself If the TV Station was playing music during the Game. But it was inside the Arena. They were playing freaking music during the Game. That baffled me and distracted me more than anything ever.

But i guess thats the difference in fandom between Europe and NA.
For example they tried once having a half time Show during the DFB Pokal finale (German Football Cup Final) and the Fans booed and jeered the whole time at the musician who was playing.
For us that does Not belong in a Sport. There shouldn't be any distracting Shows or pre-game activities. Just the Sport by itself.
Everything Else ist Just comercialized BS.

And It depends on the Team and the section you are in. The Ultras of the südkurve in Dortmund are loud, have great Choreographies and Bring emotions and Songs. But the east and Western parts are more silent.
Every Team Has their Ultras. Some more, some less (Wolfsburg, Leipzig and Hoffenheim). And those people are outspoken and use Banners to critizie the ownership and Management, Show Support for social Problems, Attack the League (Games on mondays) and so on.

1156520390-nicht-mehr-besten-fans-liga-ultras-fordern-umdenken-suedtribuene-2A0qr22fOFfe.jpg

Of course you won't See such Fans at NHL Games. Because NHL Games in Europe are a novelty. And those Fans are Not Fans of the NHL but of their Home Teams. And thats were they Show their Support.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Went to the Coyote / Bruin games in Czech Republic in 2010, it was fine.
Loud crowd is okay, folks love their emotions, I just prefer the game itself over any distractions.
Edit: Holy Shit, just watch the YouTube. That would most likely keep me from attending games. Absolutely obnoxious imo, it should be about the game, not the crowd. The only time I can remember personally being excessively loud and obnoxious was way back when at Wrestlemania watching Hulk Hogan and frankly (while it was fun and I was liquored up), I only did so because it’s a rigged show, that I had no respect for the predetermined outcome of.

THAT, would be cool.
I took in a World Championship to just check out that European atmosphere live. While I enjoyed the one off and had a great time if that was NHL arena I would not see another game live.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Well its Not constant. Also small barn so really loud.
And it was really friendly and save. Especially considering that both visiting and Home Fans were Not seperated and Hamburg got schoold by Hanover in an important Game.

You couldn't do that in the Bundesliga (for certain Games). That could end in Fights.
Thats why my Brother was Like "this is a peaceful and Nice Atmosphere".

Tanic

Dec 28, 2003
Visit site
It was even worse early on. The arena was complete before all the surroundings, so the first partial season up there (jan-apr 2004), there wasn't even a bar for miles, except for one Gordon Biersch a few hundred yards north.
Flashback to the massive clouds of dirt from all the non paved lots. And the overpowering stench of cowdung. Couldn't get away fast enough.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Flashback to the massive clouds of dirt from all the non paved lots. And the overpowering stench of cowdung. Couldn't get away fast enough.
Haha, wow, that's right. Wasn't so bad when you got there and it was still daylight, but trying to leave with the headlights and dust? Fuggedaboutit.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Can you explain this a little more? I’m curious. Thanks.
Everyone stands most of the game and sings and dances and such. It made it hard to just sit and watch the game. I liked it for a one off or even occasionally but I would have no interest in it every game.

Reactions: Nowotny and rt

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Everyone stands most of the game and sings and dances and such. It made it hard to just sit and watch the game. I liked it for a one off or even occasionally but I would have no interest in it every game.
I can definitely see how they would be. When did you go?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I can definitely see how they would be. When did you go?
World Championships in Copenhagen, not sure of year. Keumper was goalie for Canada. In the semi-final(I think) i took a bunch of pictures of him intending to show him at golf course that summer. He got lit up by Russia and I deleted pictures and never mentioned it to him!!!

Reactions: rt

rt

May 13, 2004
World Championships in Copenhagen, not sure of year. Keumper was goalie for Canada. In the semi-final(I think) i took a bunch of pictures of him intending to show him at golf course that summer. He got lit up by Russia and I deleted pictures and never mentioned it to him!!!
That’s awesome. Did you go to Copenhagen just for the tournament?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I would highly recommend taking in a European game if you ever get the chance, its just so different from North American game. Almost like a College type atmosphere

That’s awesome. Did you go to Copenhagen just for the tournament?
Wife wanted a cruise and I negotiated a few days at tournament before cruise left.

rt

May 13, 2004
I would highly recommend taking in a European game if you ever get the chance, its just so different from North American game. Almost like a College type atmosphere

Wife wanted a cruise and I negotiated a few days at tournament before cruise left.
Good thinking. Was this like a Fjords kinda cruise?

rt

May 13, 2004
No. Baltic. Germany, Estonia, Russia, Sweden, and Finland.
That seems better. Pretty awesome. I’m jealous. Being from here, I get enough sunshine and palm trees. I’m not into the tropical thing. I’d love to go to Europe. Or at least Quebec (smaller dreamer haha).

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Because @Dirty Old Man wouldn’t go to enough home games it cost us our tank and Bedard. :D

Seriously though…. I have yet to see anyone complain about the environment there. And that includes the players and media.
From yesterday's NY Post:

"Slap Shots has also learned that Coyotes players filed multiple complaints with the PA during the season about sub-standard travel, lodging and logistical issues that were in violation of the collective bargaining agreement."

Apparently a lot of other teams also complained about Mullet falling short of league-mandated standards.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
From yesterday's NY Post:

"Slap Shots has also learned that Coyotes players filed multiple complaints with the PA during the season about sub-standard travel, lodging and logistical issues that were in violation of the collective bargaining agreement."

Apparently a lot of other teams also complained about Mullet falling short of league-mandated standards.

Prior the season there was a lot of whining about Mullett. After that we heard nothing but praise about the venue, the ice surface and atmosphere. From other teams, from their players.... so on. Some even commented about how much better the visiting locker area was better than a lot of other venues.

So YMMV.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Man I grew up with huge cattle yards at both ends of town. Didn’t matter which way the wind blew. The smell of animal napalm….

…..well…..

Smelled like…… victory. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad