After 1 season of Mullett Arena, what's the general vibe/consensus?

senseimike

Dec 6, 2015
Hey guys,

Now that the Coyotes have played (part of) a season at Mullett, curious what are people's thoughts about it?
-As a fan, are the games fun despite the tiny rink? What's the atmosphere like vs a "normal" sized arena?
-What are players saying? - Both Coyotes and visiting teams

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hey guys,

Now that the Coyotes have played (part of) a season at Mullett, curious what are people's thoughts about it?
-As a fan, are the games fun despite the tiny rink? What's the atmosphere like vs a "normal" sized arena?
Best ice in the league.

Reactions: Edenjung

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
It’s the most life we’ve had. The people who are going are the passionate fans who have put up with the abuse we’ve taken as a fan base. The place is much louder and way more fun than GRA ever was outside of the playoff runs.

My complaint isn’t the arena, it’s the team running the entertainment. Arguably the worst in the league. They need to try something to get the place engaged more rather than blasting bass heavy music between whistles.

Reactions: Edenjung and knich

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Players like it because its much closer to where they live and the opposition love it because its way closer to the nightlife in Scottsdale.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Its a neat building. I went to 3 games this year and in my old man yelling at clouds voicr they can do away with the too loud pumped in atmosphere. Its ok to do things to get the crowd going but I should not have to be deafened while I can clearly see at that moment the crowd is sitting silently. Easy to enter and exit. Still don't like the fact that my stroll lap doesn't exist between periods!!!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I’ve been to most every game. Phenomenal intimate experience sitting so close. Loud and energized crowds. Lousy food. Few choices.

Reactions: mouser

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Hey guys,

Because @Dirty Old Man wouldn’t go to enough home games it cost us our tank and Bedard. :D
Fantilli :razz:

But to the OP - yes, the games are fun. For someone who was used to an upper deck experience, sitting that close every game I attended was a charge as well. It could get very noisy, and although yes we had a lot of visiting fans in, it was generally genial, except for the Boston game, I understand...something about a fight ending in a missing finger? Anyway, most of the reactions from players was positive; sure, you'll get the occasional complaint but it wasn't anywhere near the disaster some were making it out to be.

Plus, as mentioned above, some said we had the best ice in the NHL. A Few Degrees Colder, I suppose...or our innate lack of humidity.

senseimike

Dec 6, 2015
Players like it because its much closer to where they live and the opposition love it because its way closer to the nightlife in Scottsdale.
So when the arena was in Glendale, after games would players make the 30-40 min drive to Scottsdale? Or would they "tolerate" less partying closer to the Glendale arena?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
So when the arena was in Glendale, after games would players make the 30-40 min drive to Scottsdale? Or would they "tolerate" less partying closer to the Glendale arena?
It was even worse early on. The arena was complete before all the surroundings, so the first partial season up there (jan-apr 2004), there wasn't even a bar for miles, except for one Gordon Biersch a few hundred yards north. In a way, the 04 lockout saved some embarrassment, as by the time the team returned 18 months later, it was somewhat further along.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
It’s the most life we’ve had. The people who are going are the passionate fans who have put up with the abuse we’ve taken as a fan base. The place is much louder and way more fun than GRA ever was outside of the playoff runs.

My complaint isn’t the arena, it’s the team running the entertainment. Arguably the worst in the league. They need to try something to get the place engaged more rather than blasting bass heavy music between whistles.
I filled every survey I could about the pathetic and repetitive entertainment. Hopefully this year it steps up.

Really like the arena and atmosphere outside of the entertainment. Love the bass!! :)

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I thought it was alright. However, the drumline can either kick rocks are stop drumming while play is happening. One of the coolest things about being in a small barn is hearing the on-ice stuff; the natural sounds of the game and the players communicating with each other, the refs yelling out when there's no icing.

A really good drumline gives me goosebumps, but not while I'm trying to watch an important penalty kill or power play. STFU.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I thought it was alright. However, the drumline can either kick rocks are stop drumming while play is happening. One of the coolest things about being in a small barn is hearing the on-ice stuff; the natural sounds of the game and the players communicating with each other, the refs yelling out when there's no icing.

A really good drumline gives me goosebumps, but not while I'm trying to watch an important penalty kill or power play. STFU.
Yes..I love the drumline. My seats are on Coyote attack twice side so you can't hear them as much during game but they sure sound great after the game. :)

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
I like the new barn a lot!
Agreed the music is too loud.
Love the drums outside after a game!
One thing I would change is the person with the megaphone blaring out silly instructions upon stadium entrance and exit. Really annoying.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Weird, I never noticed them during play. My seats are opposite the student section, a couple rows off the ice… guess I’m blessed because I agree, that’s unacceptable!

I like the new barn a lot!
Agreed the music is too loud.
Love the drums outside after a game!
One thing I would change is the person with the megaphone blaring out silly instructions upon stadium entrance and exit. Really annoying.
I always got a chuckle out of her, at first she didn’t have a megaphone and truth be told, she doesn’t need one! :laugh:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Barn’s a barn, seats too close together and not comfortable. Didn’t notice it being any louder, or the “entertainment” being any less obnoxious. But hey, I loved the Covid days (sans the mask), where you could hear all the action on the ice. :D
Edit: seats were actually much better in Glendale.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I filled every survey I could about the pathetic and repetitive entertainment. Hopefully this year it steps up.

Really like the arena and atmosphere outside of the entertainment. Love the bass!! :)
I’m still trying to get them to have the crowd howl during a PK when the other team is in the attacking zone. Like an all out, full building, everyone howls when AZ is on a PK and they’re defending in their zone. Would be cool and very engaging because AZ takes so many penalties haha

Reactions: Mosby and Edenjung

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Weird, I never noticed them during play. My seats are opposite the student section, a couple rows off the ice… guess I’m blessed because I agree, that’s unacceptable!
Then you should never visit a game in europe.
I visited a game in the third german league last year (30th of december) in Hamburg (against Hannover) and while the barn was full (1955 places) the fans (both opposing and home) made it loud and showed their support. That was really great.
Great atmosphere and they did not seperate the opposing fans with anything, like you would see in a football stadium.
Overall great experience and my oldest brother said that he could see himself visit another game with his child (3 year old) when he is older.

Here an impression:

(Why did youtube make it a short? i did not want that)

Overall great experience, especially because the fans are so passionate and loud. I love that.
If i can hear the players, i don't feel that engaged.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Then you should never visit a game in europe.
I visited a game in the third german league last year (30th of december) in Hamburg (against Hannover) and while the barn was full (1955 places) the fans (both opposing and home) made it loud and showed their support. That was really great.
Great atmosphere and they did not seperate the opposing fans with anything, like you would see in a football stadium.
Overall great experience and my oldest brother said that he could see himself visit another game with his child (3 year old) when he is older.

Here an impression:

(Why did youtube make it a short? i did not want that)

Overall great experience, especially because the fans are so passionate and loud. I love that.
If i can hear the players, i don't feel that engaged.

Went to the Coyote / Bruin games in Czech Republic in 2010, it was fine.
Loud crowd is okay, folks love their emotions, I just prefer the game itself over any distractions.
Edit: Holy Shit, just watch the YouTube. That would most likely keep me from attending games. Absolutely obnoxious imo, it should be about the game, not the crowd. The only time I can remember personally being excessively loud and obnoxious was way back when at Wrestlemania watching Hulk Hogan and frankly (while it was fun and I was liquored up), I only did so because it’s a rigged show, that I had no respect for the predetermined outcome of.
I’m still trying to get them to have the crowd howl during a PK when the other team is in the attacking zone. Like an all out, full building, everyone howls when AZ is on a PK and they’re defending in their zone. Would be cool and very engaging because AZ takes so many penalties haha
THAT, would be cool.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad