After 1 season of Mullett Arena, what's the general vibe/consensus?

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Prior the season there was a lot of whining about Mullett. After that we heard nothing but praise about the venue, the ice surface and atmosphere. From other teams, from their players.... so on. Some even commented about how much better the visiting locker area was better than a lot of other venues.

So YMMV.
Yes, MMV but I wasn't looking for mileage. I was responding to post #8 where you wrote "I have yet to see anyone complain about the environment".

I think there's a lot of things you choose not to see, but they're out there and lots of other people see them and write them up.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Am willing to bet whatever truth there is from that statement stems from the early season road trip while renovations were going on. Arizona and San Jose pretty much always complain about logistics cause both of our schedules are the worst travel year in year out, but there really isn't much to be done about it due to respective locations.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yes, MMV but I wasn't looking for mileage. I was responding to post #8 where you wrote "I have yet to see anyone complain about the environment".

I think there's a lot of things you choose not to see, but they're out there and lots of other people see them and write them up.

....after the season began. There were lots of derogatory comments made by players prior to the season starting about how bad it was going to be. Including Brad Marchand's that went viral. Not even a peep out of him after Boston came into Mullett (and lost).

Larry Brooks once put out a tweet (to paraphrase) "Sorry Coyotes fans, but three sources close to the situation tell me the Barroway dead is dead." Barroway's purchase of a majority of the Coyotes was announced less that 72 hours later.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
From yesterday's NY Post:

"Slap Shots has also learned that Coyotes players filed multiple complaints with the PA during the season about sub-standard travel, lodging and logistical issues that were in violation of the collective bargaining agreement."

Apparently a lot of other teams also complained about Mullet falling short of league-mandated standards.
"Sub-standard travel" is a red flag for me ... spent about 20 mins trying to track down the Coyotes current charter plane situation and I haven't found much post-21/22 season.

It looks like they (and many teams) were using the Air Canada "Jetz" service but that's about it. No idea what was "sub-standard" or even if "sub-standard" was related to the jet / the bus to the hotel / etc.

Bill Daly just essentially said that Brooks article is a fabrication.
LOL nvm.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
"Sub-standard travel" is a red flag for me ...

Morgan gave his take of it on the PHNX podcast. There was one late away game that went into overtime and everyone, including staff, wanted to stay overnight and fly out in the morning. They were told it wasn't cost effective.

So on top of the late game the bus ride to the airport was one of the longer ones, the flight was long, and then the bus ride to the other motel once they arrived was another long one. The players and staff weren't in bed until 5am and they were pissed.

Anyways, sounds like the PA never even filed a complaint to the league over it. What little there was to it is being way overblown.

Reactions: ck26

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Morgan gave his take of it on the PHNX podcast. There was one late away game that went into overtime and everyone, including staff, wanted to stay overnight and fly out in the morning. They were told it wasn't cost effective.

So on top of the late game the bus ride to the airport was one of the longer ones, the flight was long, and then the bus ride to the other motel once they arrived was another long one. The players and staff weren't in bed until 5am and they were pissed.

Anyways, sounds like the PA never even filed a complaint to the league over it. What little there was to it is being way overblown.
The only thing I think in regards to these situations is that the Coyotes should know they don't have an ideal NHL situation for Players and should do everything they can to ensure Players have nothing to complain about and that Edmonton to Colorado situation should never occur under the name of cost effective. As a one off might not be that big of a deal but again never is a better number.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
The only thing I think in regards to these situations is that the Coyotes should know they don't have an ideal NHL situation for Players and should do everything they can to ensure Players have nothing to complain about and that Edmonton to Colorado situation should never occur under the name of cost effective. As a one off might not be that big of a deal but again never is a better number.

Just realized I typed motel instead of hotel. It's not THAT bad lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Mosby and ck26

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Just realized I typed motel instead of hotel. It's not THAT bad lol.
Next year they should make all visiting team players fly commercial, carry their bags first from baggage claim to SkyTrain to the 44th St light rail station, and then from the Veterans Way station to Mullett.

That'll teach 'em.

Speaking of, did anyone find out where teams stayed in Tempe, or even did any?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The least surprising news of 2023 so far? Larry Brooks is full of crap.
Larry Brooks had “three sources” confirming Barroway’s bid to buy a majority share of the Coyotes was dead.

They announced Barroway as new majority owner less than 72 hours later.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

I have so little time for sob stories from millionaire pro athletes.

“I had to go on a luxury private jet and then stay up really late”

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad