African-North American Defenseman (AHL and Prospects)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
Hello all, today I was conversing with a friend over hockey and we found our way too different ethnicities of players. We named some African American/Canadian players but found they were all forwards and goalies. We thought of some Swedish defenseman but not many from NA.

So the question is are there any African American/Canadian defenseman not including the Subbans? Even in the AHL? Edit: So dumb Jones and Daley as well. 3x as stupid as I thought I was add in Big Buff.

More with prospects is where I can't think of any.

Note: I apologize if I'm violating any rules by talking about race but its just out of curiosity.

Last edited:

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
Seth Jones
Big buff

Thats all I got off the top of my head although both guys are mixed so I'm not sure how much they qualify

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Subban is a black Canadian, not an African American.

Byfuglien?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Darnell Nurse is half black. His dad is African-American and a former professional football player in the CFL. Nurse's uncle is Donovan McNabb.

Nurse is an absolute fan favourite in Edmonton. Besides being a big, tough D man, he's a very intelligent kid (former OHL Scholastic Player of the Year), his sister Kia was part of the Canadian team that won Gold at the 2015 Pan Am games in basketball. She scored 33 points in the Gold medal game against the USA.

Last edited:

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
(Ironically just pulled Trevor Daley in a HUT pack yet couldn't think of any other African American defenseman either than Subbans)

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Darnell Nurse is mulatto. His dad is African-American and a former professional football player in the CFL. Nurse's uncle is Donovan McNabb.

Nurse is an absolute fan favourite in Edmonton. Besides being a big, tough D man, he's a very intelligent kid (former OHL Scholastic Player of the Year), his sister Kia was part of the Canadian team that won Gold at the 2015 Pan Am games in basketball. She scored 33 points in the Gold medal game against the USA.

The majority of North American blacks are mixed race. Usually just go by black rather than that term.

Oliver Kylington is a black defensive prospect from sweden

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Technically there aren't many African American players.

African-Canadian, Bi-racial, Jamaican/Haitian/Nigerian players exist in the league.

Many different cultures + mixes.

For example, Byfuglien's mom is Norwegian and his dad is African-American.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
For sure, I saw it as like metis. Either way, self-identity is highly personal and I see your point.

Nurse is awesome, great kid with excellent character. He's my favourite Oiler player after McDavid.

It is different than the metis term.

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Didn't mean it that way at all, I'll edit the term out. Certainly wasn't intended that way at all. My sincere apologies.

No need to apologize. You didn't know. We learn and we move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad