Advices for hockey parents - What to do, What to refuse.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Just thought about this..

Protect your childs head.

Buy the best helmet you can get, especially with the young guys falling a lot, extra technology in the helmet for a higher price is definitely better than any hospital bills for concussions..

hockeygoon15

Nov 30, 2006
We had a poster at the rink I used to work at that said something along the lines of, "Hey! That ref is someones kid." This always stuck with me. Unfortunately, I doubt that it really sinks in with it's target audience....

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Just thought about this..

Protect your childs head.

Buy the best helmet you can get, especially with the young guys falling a lot, extra technology in the helmet for a higher price is definitely better than any hospital bills for concussions..

Almost.

Buy the best fitting helmet you can. Having the best fit is paramount. A great-fitting mid end helmet trumps any 'OK-fitting' top end helmet any day.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I always wonder what kind of self awareness is going on with someone being 'that parent'. Kind of similar to being 'that guy' in beer league, but there you can just assume they're selfish ******. But for a hockey parent though? You have universal condemnation of it, everywhere from national broadcasts to the lowest levels of hockey. This is something that should be universal knowledge. This type of person is an embarrassment, these sorts of actions only make things worse, this pressure is only going to ruin your kids enjoyment in hockey.

Are there people that don't actually understand this? Or do they just go to the rink and say '**** em all I'm going to be that parent!'?

Malreg

May 12, 2011
I always wonder what kind of self awareness is going on with someone being 'that parent'. Kind of similar to being 'that guy' in beer league, but there you can just assume they're selfish ******. But for a hockey parent though? You have universal condemnation of it, everywhere from national broadcasts to the lowest levels of hockey. This is something that should be universal knowledge. This type of person is an embarrassment, these sorts of actions only make things worse, this pressure is only going to ruin your kids enjoyment in hockey.

Are there people that don't actually understand this? Or do they just go to the rink and say '**** em all I'm going to be that parent!'?

I'll never understand how an adult could ever think it's ok to yell at or chirp a 13 year old player on the other team.

arizona beamer*

Throughout my playing career I witnessed various incidents up to a certain level but by the time I reached a mature age (17/18) I noticed it was very rare. I am now retired as a player and am coaching, and I have the odd incident to deal with. Recently I had a parent say to one of my guys, "you are done when we get home, done you lazy, fat ****", to which I responded to tone it down. The father sat down and was visibly intoxicated. After the game I was in the parking lot and noticed him about to drive and asked that he let his son drive, to which he responded "that useless fat **** cannot and will not drive my van". At this stage I had no choice but to attempt to take the keys from the intoxicated driver.

A struggle erupted and my player/his son helped me get the keys by applying an armbar to his father while I had him in a headlock. Long story short, I helped finance a move for the young player into his own bachelor apartment and have since been mentoring him. His playing has improved and he is much more adjusted now that he is out of that type of environment.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Barring they want to play, and its not forced upon them-

Have fun. Plain and simple. Go out and have fun.

I kinda disagree with this only from personal experience. When I was 7 the rink we played at was the coldest I've ever been in. As a result all the little kids used to cry in the locker room when taking their skates off cause of the pain. Halfway through the season I tried to quit, but my parents refused to let me. I would kick and scream and throw tantrums whenever it was time to go, but they would force me to go every week.

A year later I learned to love the sport and by 9 I was on the travel team. Played at a high level the rest of my days and at age 44 I still play 5 times per week.

Very grateful my parents were smart enough to realize i was too stupid to know what I would like and wouldn't like down the road.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I kinda disagree with this only from personal experience. When I was 7 the rink we played at was the coldest I've ever been in. As a result all the little kids used to cry in the locker room when taking their skates off cause of the pain. Halfway through the season I tried to quit, but my parents refused to let me. I would kick and scream and throw tantrums whenever it was time to go, but they would force me to go every week.

A year later I learned to love the sport and by 9 I was on the travel team. Played at a high level the rest of my days and at age 44 I still play 5 times per week.

Very grateful my parents were smart enough to realize i was too stupid to know what I would like and wouldn't like down the road.

This is a great point. You both have great points and the key is to find that balance of parental pressure. This goes for all aspects of development, from piano practice to sports to schoolwork!

Ever read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother? That's taking it to an extreme, but both of the daughters are doing really really well and are ultimately grateful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad