TV: Adventure Time

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Nah, Finn's dad was great, especially in the finale. He's the penultimate deadbeat dad, and his tendencies were just another piece of the overlying arc of "Going with the flow."

Orgalorg told Finn and Jake that he was just "going through open doors," and even in PB's croak dream, he (as the female bird) told the Cosmic Owl that he wasn't sure why he had to push PB off her throne, but "it felt like the right thing to do."

Martin (Finn's Dad) has the same philosophy. He goes with the flow, but as soon as things become too serious, he bails. He's not a bad guy, but (using his own words), he's "burned too many bridges" to turn back, so he has to keep going forward. Even when he tries to do the right thing (as he did with Martin JR), it becomes screwed up and he's forced to bail.

Finn is similar to his dad, as shown in the finale. He's floating listlessly in space, but rather than panic, he accepts that the universe put himself in that position for a reason. It's only after he realizes this that he realizes why Martin can't give him a good reason why he left. And he accepts that in the end.

Luckily, Finn also showed he's different than his father, as when Finn was given the opportunity to "bail" on Ooo by the comet being, he decided to stick around and live his "fleshy life." Martin, of course, jumps at the comet's offer.

Still super curious about the details of how Martin came to abandon Finn and what about his Mom. Sure it will happen eventually.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if they simply left it as is. Martin obviously doesn't feel too motivated to reveal why (if he even knows himself) and with this finale, Finn doesn't seem to care anymore, or rather, he's simply come to accept that Martin will never tell him.

Finn's 16 now. The maturity he showed there speaks volumes.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wouldn't be surprised if they simply left it as is. Martin obviously doesn't feel too motivated to reveal why (if he even knows himself) and with this finale, Finn doesn't seem to care anymore, or rather, he's simply come to accept that Martin will never tell him.

Finn's 16 now. The maturity he showed there speaks volumes.

True but the show does seem to reveal origins even if the character doesn't care to much. For example the origin of Jake and his powers. We didn't really NEED to see it, but we got it (and it was a pretty good episode too).

We actually got a ton of answers and reveals in season 6. We also finally met Jermaine.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Looking back, there were some really solid episodes this season. The first two would probably make my All Time list.

1. Is that You?
2. Water Park Prank
3. Food Chain
4. Joshua & Margaret Investigations

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Looking back, there were some really solid episodes this season. The first two would probably make my All Time list.

1. Is that You?
2. Water Park Prank
3. Food Chain
4. Joshua & Margaret Investigations

Is that you might be the best of the season for sure. Food Chain was just a complete trip, but still really good. I loved Joshua & Margaret Investigations.

Everything's Jake was awesome if for nothing else then Billy West doing all three of his Futurama voices.

Jake the Brick was oddly really great.

Loved Astral Plane.

Personally I also really enjoyed Evergreen (poor little Gunter) and Little Brother. Both episodes lacking in Finn and Jake.

Edit: Thanks for the Crabapples, Giuseppe was another one. Jesus I could list a ton this season. They did a good job fleshing out the secondary cast this season.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I dunno. I prefer episodes that get back to their roots and focus on the "dungeon crawling" aspect of Finn's life. Where he's facing off against cats with an approximate knowledge of many things and debating whether or not to slay an unaligned ant.

So episodes like Fight Train and Vault of Bones are some of the better, more recent episodes to me.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Good lord how is this show so damn original? Theyve now done 223 ten minute episodes and somehow it still feels new. The "Hall of Egress" is just awesome.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
tumblr_mave2wiO7P1r76piro1_500.gif

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Necrobump. Kinda lost hope after the Islands series (too much lore, not enough fun standalone adventures that made the show great), but the recent new episodes were good.
Not so much the first three, but people should definitely watch Whispers and Three Buckets. Some story plot, but overall just classic Adventure Time episodes. :laugh:

Last edited:

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I'm so far behind. My last post here was the last time I watched a new episode, so I missed the entire season 10 so far.
I partly blame CN for airing it at random times.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'm Canadian so I'll have to find it tomorrow. Caught up on Season 10 lately. Looks like a 45 minute ultimate battle between the Candy Kingdom and Gumbaldia. Hope they leave it open to some feature movies or spinoffs.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It was a pretty good finale. I was worried I wouldn't understand it, seeing as a bunch of plot stuff apparently happens in the later seasons, but I've apparently seen enough to get the gist.

I love that they wrapped up a lot of loose ends, answered some questions, and managed to still leave it open-ended. Such a great series.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It was a pretty good finale. I was worried I wouldn't understand it, seeing as a bunch of plot stuff apparently happens in the later seasons, but I've apparently seen enough to get the gist.

I love that they wrapped up a lot of loose ends, answered some questions, and managed to still leave it open-ended. Such a great series.

It was absolutely jammed pack in references and Easter eggs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad