Adult League Hockey Tournaments

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I figured a singular thread on anyone playing in an adult league tournament would be good.

What's your favorite part about (adult) tournament play? Superstitions?

I love any sort of tourney more than I like league. New teams, strategy, play time, etc. all on display. Whether it is 3v3, 5v5, standard round robin, etc; it doesn't matter. I'm one of those thinking strategy.

Anyone playing in a Vegas tourney this weekend? If not, anyone playing in any of the other groups?

Any other tournaments you have had a great time at traveling to?

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
I'll be on a team in the "Advanced Beginner" division for the 2014 CAHA Adult State Championships in late April at sharks ice in San Jose, CA. It's my first tourney since picking up hockey 2 years ago so i'm super excited about it.

nickerjones

Jun 29, 2008
Calgary Alberta
Check out . Awesome tourneys and you don't have to have a whole team. I have went to two of them. Jasper Alberta and Las Vegas. I plan to go to the one in Seattle too. 5 games, jersey, socks, pant shells, and 2 nights hotel room. It's awesome!

Last edited:

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
Wow that draft tournament is an amazing idea. Might have to build a bigger brand with that one! Will definitely go for one of those. All the hockey without all the organizing.

mzm119

Oct 10, 2013
North Jersey
Taking a team from NJ to Lancaster, PA next weekend for the Labatt Adult Classic. They have kegs of Labatt on tap from the opening faceoff to the final whistle of the championship game which helps nurse the losses.

SillyMe

Jan 10, 2014
Ma.
Taking a team from NJ to Lancaster, PA next weekend for the Labatt Adult Classic. They have kegs of Labatt on tap from the opening faceoff to the final whistle of the championship game which helps nurse the losses.

Wow this will either be fun as hell, or soneone will get killed...

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Wow that draft tournament is an amazing idea. Might have to build a bigger brand with that one! Will definitely go for one of those. All the hockey without all the organizing.

Yeah... if there was one in Ontario I'd be all over that.

mzm119

Oct 10, 2013
North Jersey
Wow this will either be fun as hell, or soneone will get killed...

Haha, it's always a good time. We are guaranteed to lose a couple of guys every year if we have a Saturday or Sunday game before noon since they end up drinking free beer from 3pm Friday until 4am Saturday morning.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I'm headed to one later today! a friend of mine moved to Houston a few years ago and apparently every "holiday" they have adult tournaments. this weekend is the Pattydillo tourney. my friend says that when a female scores it counts as 2 goals. I plan on making them pay for that rule. :)

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON

So... basically every tournament I've ever played in except the unlimited beer is in a keg instead of cans. Have a blast!

mzm119

Oct 10, 2013
North Jersey
So... basically every tournament I've ever played in except the unlimited beer is in a keg instead of cans. Have a blast!

I believe the Lancaster tournament is the only USA hockey sponsored tournament to have free beer on site. I could be wrong but the few that I've been to haven't had beer and the new teams who come to the Lancaster tournament always seem to be surprised/happy/drunk.

I'm sure this doesn't apply to non-USA hockey tournaments!

nickerjones

Jun 29, 2008
Calgary Alberta
Check out Drafttournament.com. Awesome tourneys and you don't have to have a whole team. I have went to two of them. Jasper Alberta and Las Vegas. I plan to go to the one in Seattle too. 5 games, jersey, socks, pant shells, and 2 nights hotel room. It's awesome!

Just a heads up , they announced a Phoenix one today in November that includes a ticket to a coyotes game.

BlueJazz

Jan 14, 2014
I second the recommendation for the Draft Tournaments (http://drafttournament.com/), I've been to two of them myself (Canmore, AB and Vancouver, BC), and they are tons of fun. These guys really know how to run a tournament.

redbranch

Sep 24, 2007
bridgewater,nj
whats the skill level for the draft tournament ones? I'm still pretty beginnerish, been playing for about 1 and a half years when I can. I can skate ok, but nothing great. I don't mind being one of the lower skilled guys on the ice, I just don't want to be completely out of my league

BlueJazz

Jan 14, 2014
whats the skill level for the draft tournament ones? I'm still pretty beginnerish, been playing for about 1 and a half years when I can. I can skate ok, but nothing great. I don't mind being one of the lower skilled guys on the ice, I just don't want to be completely out of my league

That's what I love about this format. I'm also a beginner (I played my first draft tournament only 8 months after starting hockey), and there are always other beginners at these tournaments. They organize everyone into draft rounds based on skill level, so every team is balanced and all teams have guys ranging from beginner - advanced. Everyone's got a great attitude, and everyone's there to have fun. It really works well.

nickerjones

Jun 29, 2008
Calgary Alberta
Phoenix theme and first jersey was announced today...

Some people have said this is AMAZING and some are unsure. What are you're thoughts? They are different, that's for sure...

gsmRqSZ.jpg

BlueJazz

Jan 14, 2014
Wow . . . Those are hideous

I really like them for what they're for. I certainly would not want that to be my team jerseys for a whole season, but for a one time weekend tournament? That's the perfect time to do something creative and crazy like this! =) Makes it all the more memorable.

nickerjones

Jun 29, 2008
Calgary Alberta
I really like them for what they're for. I certainly would not want that to be my team jerseys for a whole season, but for a one time weekend tournament? That's the perfect time to do something creative and crazy like this! =) Makes it all the more memorable.

http://drafttournament.com announced a Toronto Tourney a month or so ago... their first jersey was released yesterday! Fitting jersey theme for Toronto!

yZWPDb6l.jpg

Pretty funny

STC

Oct 29, 2012

Agreed. For a goofy tournament like this they are perfect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad