ADSF: (2) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (3) Detroit Red Wings (Series 3-2 DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Honestly I don't care. I don't think either are capable of stealing a series, and you're going to need that type of performance for it to matter.

Not sure if he is ready yet, but if that is your explanation than Mrazek probably should scare you. He is big game goalie that this will more than likely apply to for most of his career. Think about his WJC performance or his stellar play in the AHL playoffs, that kid enjoys the moment he thrives on pressure more often than not.

Actually Howard's playoff numbers are not terrible, but I agree in terms of him being able to steal a series I don't see it an especially not in his current form.

Mrazek is a different story, he also stresses teams out because he is an exceptional puck moving goalie which does protect the Wings defense. Also the only goalie to shutout Tampa all season.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
If I was Babcock, I would definitely lean Mrazek over Howard in this series, if for no other reason than that Mrazek is the box of chocolates of those two. Howard has been pedestrian, which isn't bad, but it's not favorable against the top-scoring team in the league. At least with Mrazek, he has a SO vs. Tampa Bay this season and you can hope a bit more, even if the risk might be bigger, too.

I'm hoping to see lots of Jimmy Howard on this end.

ltpato

Feb 27, 2015
MTL
If I was Babcock, I would definitely lean Mrazek over Howard in this series, if for no other reason than that Mrazek is the box of chocolates of those two. Howard has been pedestrian, which isn't bad, but it's not favorable against the top-scoring team in the league. At least with Mrazek, he has a SO vs. Tampa Bay this season and you can hope a bit more, even if the risk might be bigger, too.

I'm hoping to see lots of Jimmy Howard on this end.

He has a SO but we also scored 5 goals on him :/

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Tampa Bay looks really good this year.

Add in a healthy Bishop, they're a force to be reckoned with. I see them winning this in 5 games.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i think mz is playing a hell of a lot better than howard right now not sure how much matters is if detroit can show up they got a shot if team watched last month shows up would be surprised if takes more then six as stated

is gonna be fun series wish they played for cups not first rounds though lol

im looking forward to this series then minn st louis the most (think this is very big test on blues) and also can hambugler play like has and upset montreal

so three really interesting series in first round

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
What he did for Detroit was incredible and pretty much defined my childhood but it's completely irrelevant now and he manages a team in the same division. Maybe despise was the wrong word but not sure how any Detroit fan should actively pull for him in any way.

Fully understand.

I'll always love him as a player and a person but I despise the idea of his name on the Cup under any name but Detroit Red Wings.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Fully understand.

I'll always love him as a player and a person but I despise the idea of his name on the Cup under any name but Detroit Red Wings.

Really? Like it was his fault that the wings didn't have an opening at GM. He had ambition and thought he was ready to become a NHL GM. Not his fault that Holland was there to stay and that he got an excellent offer from Mr. Vinnik to do the job in TB. If he does get his name on the cup be proud that he learned from the best.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I like that people don't take Wings seriously. Hopefully, TB players feel the same.

To me this series is all about Red Wings goaltending. If it is ok (not great, just ok) we have a series with completely unpredictable outcome. If not, TB in 5.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I'm expecting big playoffs out of Bishop. It's true he has no NHL playoff experience but he's otherwise experienced enough to not crumble under pressure. He has also always stepped up in big games for us during the regular season. He has said he loves the challenge of going against the elite netminders in the league and it has showed this season with him helping Tampa sweep the season series against Lundqvist's Rangers and Price's Canadiens. I would think he thinks of the playoffs as a same kind of challenge.

I'm not underestimating Detroit one bit. They can easily take the series if they put the pressure on this young group with a couple of early wins. That doesn't mean I don't think we have a good chance to advance too. Then again, that's what I thought last year too and we got swept so what do I know. :laugh:

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Really? Like it was his fault that the wings didn't have an opening at GM. He had ambition and thought he was ready to become a NHL GM. Not his fault that Holland was there to stay and that he got an excellent offer from Mr. Vinnik to do the job in TB. If he does get his name on the cup be proud that he learned from the best.

Nope. Like I said earlier, Yzerman is no longer with the Detroit organization. He is the enemy, and will likely be one for years to come. Why should any Wings fan be happy about him winning a cup elsewhere?

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I like that people don't take Wings seriously. Hopefully, TB players feel the same.

To me this series is all about Red Wings goaltending. If it is ok (not great, just ok) we have a series with completely unpredictable outcome. If not, TB in 5.

They probably don't though (to the bolded). The sweep last year stung them badly. They talk about it and getting redemption all the time. And then Detroit gave them their only shutout in over a year. They won't be taking the Wings lightly, and they have shown a tendency to really come out strong in statement games or games where they hold a grudge this season. It will be interesting to see if they can keep it up for a full series, but they won't be taking it lightly.

yoss

May 25, 2011
I said Bolts in 6 b/c i think they win this series but never count out Detroit and their wiley vets. Wiley isn't a word apparently or else i don't know how to spell

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Nope. Like I said earlier, Yzerman is no longer with the Detroit organization. He is the enemy, and will likely be one for years to come. Why should any Wings fan be happy about him winning a cup elsewhere?

I think a lot of the Yzerman well-wishers are going to change their tune, particularly if this series goes really badly for Detroit.

Just the nature of playoff hockey.

yoss

May 25, 2011
It's wily.

Aha, thanks. Must have the Wile e coyote way of spelling it stuck in my brain.

Tampa is one of the scariest teams to me from the East. Maybe I'm under that impression mainly due to the fact they beat my team twice in the regular season, but still. Definitely be interesting to see if they can get passed the second round this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad