News Article: Adidas wins NHL Jersey contract efffective2017 season

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Gross. We have had Adidas as our provider at the University of Michigan since 2007 and their apparel is ugly, cheap and not appealing to the younger demographic. Can't wait to return to Nike in 2016. Adidas is huge in Europe with their soccer kit apparel and have been using that money to try and make a dent in the US market. They recently just lost the NBA, Notre Dame, Tennessee and Michigan.

I thought the NHL would have been smarter to take the less guaranteed money from UA as they do a great job making apparel that younger people love.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
They must've gone all in because they really have no NHL present whatsoever, and this is one way to get into the hockey market I guess. I thought for sure UA would get the bid.At least Nike and their faux laces and crisscross shoulder accents won't be seen again.

How will this new deal change the look of NHL jerseys?

This remains to be seen, but here's more from TSN's report.

A source told TSN that the deal would surely mean big changes to uniform designs, perhaps with Adidas's familiar three-stripe trademark being added to some or all team jerseys.

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Gross. We have had Adidas as our provider at the University of Michigan since 2007 and their apparel is ugly, cheap and not appealing to the younger demographic. Can't wait to return to Nike in 2016. Adidas is huge in Europe with their soccer kit apparel and have been using that money to try and make a dent in the US market. They recently just lost the NBA, Notre Dame, Tennessee and Michigan.

I thought the NHL would have been smarter to take the less guaranteed money from UA as they do a great job making apparel that younger people love.

This pretty much says it all. They wanted the most money now, not betting on futures from UA or another brand. It's like when they took the guaranteed money from OLN/Versus tv deal instead of going with ESPN or someone else.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I'll never purchase a single piece of Kings gear that has an ad on it. Ever.

Most likely they strictly stay on the on ice product, but soccer jerseys have them everywhere, so you never know.

I'm glad it isn't Nike though. Everything they make is overrated, overpriced, and garish. Would have preferred UA though.

I've really liked Reebok's products though. Hope not much changes.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
ads on jerseys?

im out. i still haven't bought a reebok pos jersey due to all the issues over the years. if adidas goes even cheaper and incorporates ads i will never drop a dime

NHL and the owners are outright dumb. they complain about revenue, yet they let the counterfeit jersey trade steal at least 50% of the sales for likely every team. that is VERY conservative and i would place it likely 80-90%. look around the stands at a game, or at a bar during a game. most jerseys you see are cheap counterfeits

the league and the owners are giving away millions in lost revenue because they will not and fail to listen to the fans

Ron*

fetch

Practice jersey
Game jersey.
Y7VYgt.png

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
FYI - Adidas does some motorsport sponsorship and all of it incorporates the three stripes. I wouldn't be shocked to see more than a few teams have the three stripes on the sleeves.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I'll never purchase a single piece of Kings gear that has an ad on it. Ever.

Most likely they strictly stay on the on ice product, but soccer jerseys have them everywhere, so you never know.

I'm glad it isn't Nike though. Everything they make is overrated, overpriced, and garish. Would have preferred UA though.

I've really liked Reebok's products though. Hope not much changes.

You and anyone else that owns sports gear already does. You've just decided that the current level is acceptable in your eyes.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Since they own Reebok, I'm not sure much, if anything will change.

But if they change things up, it will be interesting. They've got the lightest and most innovative materials in the industry and they have sunk a ton of money this year into 2 new design studios in the US.

I just hope the NHL doesn't put ads on the jerseys.

Adidas chose not to bid on the next NBA contract, so that was "lost" by choice.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Not the same thing. I have no problem with the manufacturer, team, or league branding.

More what I was talking about. Anyways, like I said, you have that level of comfortablity (sp?) with ads.

At some point people will feel the same about ads on jerseys, just like soccer fans.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
I don't get the point of putting the logo of your company on a jersey. Who's going to see a Taco Bell logo and go get it right after the game? Same with ads along the boards, all of it is quite pointless. I will never eat McDonalds no matter how big they make their sign or even if we become the LA McDonalds.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
ads on jerseys?

im out. i still haven't bought a reebok pos jersey due to all the issues over the years. if adidas goes even cheaper and incorporates ads i will never drop a dime

NHL and the owners are outright dumb. they complain about revenue, yet they let the counterfeit jersey trade steal at least 50% of the sales for likely every team. that is VERY conservative and i would place it likely 80-90%. look around the stands at a game, or at a bar during a game. most jerseys you see are cheap counterfeits

the league and the owners are giving away millions in lost revenue because they will not and fail to listen to the fans

it would not be adidas putting the ads on the jerseys but the NHL. The NHL has threatened this for a while now.

I doubt that the replica jerseys would have the ads on them if the NHL does go that route.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't get the point of putting the logo of your company on a jersey. Who's going to see a Taco Bell logo and go get it right after the game? Same with ads along the boards, all of it is quite pointless. I will never eat McDonalds no matter how big they make their sign or even if we become the LA McDonalds.

watching at home and going out at intermission for a bite?
I could see the benefit from a corporations POV

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Adidas was the successful bidder for the NHL jerseys beating out Under Armour and Bauer, beginning in 2017 -18 season; Reebok has been the provider to the NHL since 2007 Adidas will be providing the NHL with team jerseys which may involve changes in design and maybe ads appearing on the jersey.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...ins-rights-to-nhls-jerseys-big-changes-coming

Really wish the nhl would stick with a hockey company Bauer or CCM please. All the non hockey company jerseys are junk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad