Player Discussion Addressing the goaltending

Should Holland address the goaltending with a goalie under contract or a UFA to be?

• Total voters

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Trade:

Ideal (1st rd pick ++) - Gibson
Preferred (1st rd pick +) - Kuemper
Decent (1st rd pick or lower) - Georgiev, Merzlikins/Korpisalo
Poor (mid rd pick) - Bernier, Mrazek, Reimer *

FA:

Tier 1 - Grubauer, Andersen
Tier 2 - Raanta, Rask, Binnington
Tier 3 - Halak, Dubnyk, Ullmark
Tier 100 - Smith

*UFA at end of season

^ My thoughts anyway - I think everything else being equal I'd target Gibson or Kuemper, with a UFA goalie like Grubauer being the fall back option.

If Toronto is actually dumb enough to chase Andersen out of town, I'd be happy to bring him into the fold here. I'd even be open to throwing a pick their way for negotiation rights.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Dubynk would be a good short term solution. I wonder if Gibson could be targeted though? The Ducks aren't winning anything anytime soon, so maybe they would be interested in young talent. Do you think Broberg + 1st rounder would do it? Edit: I guess they would need to take Koskinen back as well. I dunno, I don't think the Ducks so far that personally.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
I think Dubnyk would be a good grab if Holland can swing it.

Dubnyk would block a trade. Wild had to work with him, & his agent to get him to say yes to San Jose. It took 2 weeks or more from when it was reported deal was happening for dubnyk to say yes to San Jose.

San jose wasn't willing to trade for a player who would be unhappy. So wild, & San Jose waited on dubnyk decision

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Kuemper should be an Oiler already, Holland screwed the pooch by not being aggressive enough in targeting him in the off season.

Now Arizona is no rush to move him.

Yes and you know what Holland done ! Please tell us how you know ? Were you there during Holland phone calls or lack of ? Or are you basing this on rumours that generate hits on twitter or other sites ? Lets face it us fans know shit . We do know Holland tried to land a goalie so obviously he wanted to upgrade . Maybe you want him to buy and sell like Chia .

Reactions: ujju2

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
As much as I really want a trade to be made, certainly one of the two incumbents would need to go the other way. As I said to another poster in the trade thread, it'd have to be Koskinen due to his contract in both cap and term. But he holds a 15 team no trade list.

Hopefully the sun belt teams are not one of those 15 teams he won't go to because if he's already submitted his list, it at least gives Holland a place to start.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Dubynk would be a good short term solution. I wonder if Gibson could be targeted though? The Ducks aren't winning anything anytime soon, so maybe they would be interested in young talent. Do you think Broberg + 1st rounder would do it? Edit: I guess they would need to take Koskinen back as well. I dunno, I don't think the Ducks so far that personally.
Would you be willing to give up a first + broberg/holloway for gibson?

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Short list of goaltenders who aren't going to make the Oilers better...
Hoberg (OTT)
Bernier (DET)
Rinne (NSH)
Wedgewood (NJD)
Hutton (BUF)
Quick (LA)

I disagree on Bernier and Rinne. For a low enough price it's worth figuring out if they have something left in the tank on a better team. Petersen would be the one to get from LA and Ullmark from BUF, and the Devils have a lot of #3 options.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don't think Holland will get anything done in season. He needed to make something happen in the summer and couldn't get it done.

The 2 week quarantine thing is a major problem.

Kuemper was more likely to be available last summer but now not so much now that Arizona has a decent shot at a playoff berth.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Just having Gibson or Kuemper, I think we get an extra 10 wins based on 82 games

And adding a complementary 1LW, top 4 D and 3C. That's another extra 10 wins

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I disagree on Bernier and Rinne. For a low enough price it's worth figuring out if they have something left in the tank on a better team. Petersen would be the one to get from LA and Ullmark from BUF, and the Devils have a lot of #3 options.

LA or BUF aren't trading away their young starters and i think Bernier and Rinne have about as much left in the tank as Mike Smith.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Don't think Holland will get anything done in season. He needed to make something happen in the summer and couldn't get it done.

The 2 week quarantine thing is a major problem.

Kuemper was more likely to be available last summer but now not so much now that Arizona has a decent shot at a playoff berth.
That's really going to be a big issue. At same time if he is going after a longer-term solution you might have no choice.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's really going to be a big issue. At same time if he is going after a longer-term solution you might have no choice.

Doubt Holland gets anything done for that reason. Arizona has way more leverage now, if you wanted to make a deal with them, the off season when they were renouncing their rights to their 1st round pick was the time to pounce.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I don't see the Oilers as Cup contenders this year unless they get a top 10 goalie who can cover for their defensive issues. So unless A) they can get that goalie and fit him under the cap, B) they can acquire that goalie without creating holes elsewhere, and C) it's not going to gut the prospect/draft pick depth, then why make that move in season when there is likely going to be a premium for acquiring that goalie?

Unless the move for a goalie is going to make the Oilers Cup contenders or it's a minimal cost to acquire a significant improvement in goal then the Oilers are better off waiting to make a move for a goalie. Why spend the assets otherwise? What they have is good enough to get them into the playoffs and likely enough to win them a round in the North division, maybe even two. Unless they have a top goalie to make up for the lacklustre defence though they're not beating any of the top teams coming out of the other divisions.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Yes, without question. But I don't think the Ducks would do that deal after I thought about it some more.

No they would not. You'd be looking at something more like a 1st, Broberg AND Holloway for Gibson, and need to include Koskinen to balance the cap and leave them with a decent goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad