Proposal: Addressing Montreal's LD (NYI-EDM)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I understand the leeriness of taking Sekera due to his injury history, but I would either say to take Weise out or that we aren't retaining. He's still a top 4 defenseman on a fair cap hit. Or swap Sekera to Russell and then I take it.

Habs have zero interest in an oft-injured, slow overpaid dman who has term remaining on his contract well into the downslope of his career. It would take a serious sweetener for the Habs to eat his or Russell’s contract. Not happening.

Good luck dumpinh either of those contracts!

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Somebody can sign Gardiner vs trading for Leddy. Same difference in quality and it only cost you cap space. I honestly think the Islanders keep Leddy unless your GM has big plans at going after Bob and Panarin and needs the cap space.

With Sorokin indicating that he wants to come over to the nhl,it sounds like Sorokin is a much more likely nyi addition by 2020,then giving Bob a Price like contract.

And Gardiner is one player.
If Leddy is dealt,it will not be as a cap dump or for futures

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm not desperate to overpay for Leddy. Edler is another option or another option is to stay put and wait for Romanov. Kulak is playing his 1st NHL season and maybe he takes another step forward next year.

A 1st (15th OA +/-) for Leddy. I might consider that but not sure what other Habs fans say. Some are all over the futures and do not touch it. Some want to make some moves now before Weber turns 36

I posted Leddy for a 1st (15th +/-) on the Habs trade board. Go check it out later once people have a chance to reply to see the **** show and difference of opinions :laugh:

Then go offer 15th +/- for Edler.

Isles are not interested in waiting 3-4 seasons for that pick.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Nah, we will just try to sign Edler cause he will be a UFA. Cost us nothing but cap space

I feel the same way when fans propose nyi trades vs ufa pick ups. I would much rather address the isles need for a top 6 scorer thru the ufa market, then the trade market .

As for Edler... Canuck fans were posting he loves it so much in Vancouver, that he has refused to waive his NTC for potential trades and management wants him back.
Your best bet is Montreal offers him more $ and term ,that tbeir offer blows Vancouver's out of the water.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I feel the same way when fans propose nyi trades vs ufa pick ups. I would much rather address the isles need for a top 6 scorer thru the ufa market, then the trade market .

As for Edler... Canuck fans were posting he loves it so much in Vancouver, that he has refused to waive his NTC for potential trades and management wants him back.
Your best bet is Montreal offers him more $ and term ,that tbeir offer blows Vancouver's out of the water.

I do think there is a possibility Edler re-signs with the Canucks but the Canucks will have to pay him or he will explore UFA. He will stay for a fair deal but it has to work for both sides. Gardiner is another option but I'm not signing him to a monster contact. If he can get that from some other team, I let him.

Habs will explore options for a LD. But we are not going to make a desperate move. What do you want for Leddy who is having his worse season in years? Would pieces like Lehkonen, Byron, and picks be something you consider? Or are you looking for more of a slam dunk return? 1/1 type deal?

- Lehkonen or Byron
- 2nd round pick
- Grade B asset like McShane or Ikonen

If this don't work, we don't have a base to work with so no deal to be negotiated.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
What do you want for Leddy who is having his worse season in years? Would pieces like Lehkonen, Byron, and picks be something you consider? Or are you looking for more of a slam dunk return? 1/1 type deal?

- Lehkonen or Byron
- 2nd round pick
- Grade B asset like McShane or Ikonen

If this don't work, we don't have a base to work with so no deal to be negotiated.

There is not 1 piece in your proposal that I want for Leddy, whose play improved when Toews joined the team and Isles stopped looking to Leddy to do so much heavy lifting.
Isles needs are a top 6 center or top 6 scoring winger ( then they extend Lee/Nelson)

Not trading Leddy for spare parts. Want a top 4D,without giving up any players of value? That is what the ufa market is for

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Habs are fixed at C and can’t trade any of Domi, Danault or KK.

I don't agree here, although i feel good about Mtl's future at center. I like Danault, but he would definitely be expendable in my books; Poehling is a 2-way C that projects to be in the middle 6. He is definitely more defense-minded than otherwise and will probably end up fighting for Danault's spot.

KK is untouchable, but Domi isnt. Teams would have to pay much to get him, though. I think that the door is always open to listen to offers - what if someone offered a crazy deal or a chance to upgrade for a true 1c?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Terrible for Edmonton . Sekera is one of our best D . Yes I get the injury concerns but he is a good player that helps Edmonton . We are not dumping him for a nothing return and retaining on him . Yes he is available but the return has to be decent . Like a 3rd line C

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is not 1 piece in your proposal that I want for Leddy, whose play improved when Toews joined the team and Isles stopped looking to Leddy to do so much heavy lifting.
Isles needs are a top 6 center or top 6 scoring winger ( then they extend Lee/Nelson)

Not trading Leddy for spare parts. Want a top 4D,without giving up any players of value? That is what the ufa market is for

Well, you are not getting a 2nd line center for Leddy either. And I don't consider Lehkonen, Byron, and a 2nd round pick spare parts.

Byron is a proven 20 goal scorer who can play both wings and has speed that can burn you. He is very far from being a spare part. Maybe you have a case with Lehkonen cause he seems to be in stalled development in terms of his finishing ability. But his game is solid. He just does not seem to be the type to put up points

Byron, 2019 2nd, and a grade B prospect is a solid offer. Do you honestly think a team is going to give a top 6F for Leddy at this stage? No disrespect, but if you want pry away value, It's not coming from the Habs.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Well, you are not getting a 2nd line center for Leddy either. And I don't consider Lehkonen, Byron, and a 2nd round pick spare parts.

Byron is a proven 20 goal scorer who can play both wings and has speed that can burn you. He is very far from being a spare part. Maybe you have a case with Lehkonen cause he seems to be in stalled development

Byron, 2019 2nd, and a grade B prospect is a solid offer. Do you honestly think a team is going to give a top 6F for Leddy at this stage? No disrespect, but if you want pry away value, It's not coming from the Habs.
An undersized forward (who's a winger) with 45/35/30 points in this season and the prior 2 with a mediocre prospect and a 2nd isn't even close to fair. That does nothing for the Islanders besides shed the cap of Nick Leddy while adding in Paul Byron. Might as well counter this offer with Ho-Sang, Ladd and a 5th if we're making trades for something that doesn't benefit either team. This is one of those Leafs deals where they offer up table scraps to benefit the team. Nick Leddy is actually on an affordable contract for 3 seasons and is finally showing some signs of life. To say that he holds the same value as a 3rd line forward who's been pushed up to a top 6 spot is a joke.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Byron is a proven 20 goal scorer who can play both wings and has speed that can burn you. He is very far from being a spare part. Maybe you have a case with Lehkonen cause he seems to be in stalled development in terms of his finishing ability. But his game is solid. He just does not seem to be the type to put up points

Glad you do not consider Byron+2nd+B prospect spare parts.

As I said,do not want to give up anything that is gonna sting for a top 4D? Then look to the ufa market.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Glad you do not consider Byron+2nd+B prospect spare parts.

As I said,do not want to give up anything that is gonna sting for a top 4D? Then look to the ufa market.

I bet you have a hard time getting better value than Byron for Leddy at this stage. But hey, we talked and we have no deal. Very far apart in value. No big deal. We are not desperate to make a trade for a guy who is on his worse season in years. We will wait for Romanov if we can't find a good fit in a trade or in UFA

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
An undersized forward (who's a winger) with 45/35/30 points in this season and the prior 2 with a mediocre prospect and a 2nd isn't even close to fair. That does nothing for the Islanders besides shed the cap of Nick Leddy while adding in Paul Byron. Might as well counter this offer with Ho-Sang, Ladd and a 5th if we're making trades for something that doesn't benefit either team. This is one of those Leafs deals where they offer up table scraps to benefit the team. Nick Leddy is actually on an affordable contract for 3 seasons and is finally showing some signs of life. To say that he holds the same value as a 3rd line forward who's been pushed up to a top 6 spot is a joke.

You want to deflate Byron's tires? I can play that game with Leddy

Leddy as a -2 (worse on the Islanders on D by far) and only 26 pts is also a concern. Who are we paying for? Leddy from the past or Leddy at the moment? This is the issue with trade value. What have you done for me lately. I get it, you want trade value with Leddy from the past and this season is just an off year right? Sorry, it don't work that way. You might as well wait for him to rebound if you want a slam dunk return.

Leddy was also -42 last year and worse on the whole Islanders team. If he is not producing 40+ pts and 10+ goals, where is the value?

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Habs have zero interest in an oft-injured, slow overpaid dman who has term remaining on his contract well into the downslope of his career. It would take a serious sweetener for the Habs to eat his or Russell’s contract. Not happening.

Good luck dumpinh either of those contracts!

Funny people always say things like "good luck dumping those contracts" with Sekera and Russell. Both have been worth their contracts. Sekera I do understand based solely on his injury history of recent years, but he has shown to be a quality defenseman since his return. It's not like we need to "dump" either guy with no player coming back. We can certainly take a 3rd line winger who is on the verge of losing his job due to depth. The post I quoted certainly didn't show "no interest" either, for what its worth.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
the best part of this thread? leafs fans desperate for habs to trade poehling and talking shit about kotkaniemi, the youngest player in the NHL and his lack of production on the road.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I bet you have a hard time getting better value than Byron for Leddy at this stage. But hey, we talked and we have no deal. Very far apart in value. No big deal. We are not desperate to make a trade for a guy who is on his worse season in years. We will wait for Romanov if we can't find a good fit in a trade or in UFA
And I doubt Montreal sniffs a top 4D in a trade ,offering the collection of spare parts proposed in this thread.

Ufa market. Cost nothing but cash.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And I doubt Montreal sniffs a top 4D in a trade ,offering the collection of spare parts proposed in this thread.

Ufa market. Cost nothing but cash.

If the potential top 4 LD that is offered to us is better than Leddy (not that difficult based on his recent play), the offer is increased. I'm willing to give fair value but thinking Leddy is going to get a top 6 forward value is a joke. Byron and a 2nd is not spare parts. Keep trying

Muzzin for 2 years returned what? Do you honestly think Leddy for 3 years is getting significantly more?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If the potential top 4 LD that is offered to us is better than Leddy (not that difficult based on his recent play), the offer is increased. I'm willing to give fair value but thinking Leddy is going to get a top 6 forward value is a joke. Byron and a 2nd is not spare parts. Keep trying

Muzzin for 2 years returned what? Do you honestly think Leddy for 3 years is getting significantly more?

Muzzin is what 4 yrs older then Leddy?
LA has a lot of aging vets and wants picks prospects. Isles are nor in that position.

Too bad Montreal's CM did not snap Muzzin up before Toronto did.

Expecting to get a top 4 D for Byron +2nd + B prospect is rhe joke in this thread.

Again. UFA market. Cost nothing but cash

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Muzzin is what 4 yrs older then Leddy?
LA has a lot of aging vets and wanta picks prospects. Isles are nor in that position.

Too bad Montreal's CM did not snap Muzzin up before Toronto did.

Again. UFA market. Cost nothing but cash

Leddy is 2 years younger, not 4. So the major difference is 2 years extra in term and 2 years in age gap. I ask the question again, do you really think Leddy is significantly worth more than Muzzin?

Muzzin returned Grundstrom, Late 1st and a grade B prospect in Durzi. Leddy should return a bit more than this. A bit more does not mean a proven top 6 forward.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Ore
Leddy is 2 years younger, not 4. So the major difference is 2 years extra in term and 2 years in age gap. I ask the question again, do you really think Leddy is significantly worth more than Muzzin?

Muzzin returned Grundstrom, Late 1st and a grade B prospect in Durzi. Leddy should return a bit more than this. A bit more does not mean a proven top 6 forward.

According to the press Stone/Duchene/ Panarin were the top 6 forwards Lou pursued and got as far as discussing extension terms with the Stone camp

If Duchene/Panarin hit tne ufa market, Lou is expected to try and sign one.
The reason Leddy's name has come up is because there will be plenty of competition for Duchene/Panarin. Staple bought his name up as a player who could return an nhler, top 6 forward.

Isles are not in caphell Not trading 20 something yr olds for picks/prospects.

They move Leddy for an unwanted return foe what reason? To push more responsibility on younger, less experienced D? Do not like the isles ask for Leddy? Look elsewhere then.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ore

According to the press Stone/Duchene/ Panarin were the top 6 forwards Lou pursued and got as far as discussing extension terms with the Stone camp

If Duchene/Panarin hit tne ufa market, Lou is expected to try and sign one.
The reason Leddy's name has come up is because there will be plenty of competition for Duchene/Panarin. Staple bought his name up as a player who could return an nhler, top 6 forward.

Isles are not in caphell Not trading 20 something yr olds for picks/prospects.

They move Leddy for an unwanted return foe what reason? To push more responsibility on younger, less experienced D? Do not like the isles ask for Leddy? Look elsewhere then.

I will look somewhere else. Leddy is not the type I will pay pry away value for and I doubt anybody does. Send your flyer in the male with your sale that's not really a sale. Maybe you fool someone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad