Proposal: Addressing Montreal's LD (NYI-EDM)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Trade 1: Leddy for Tatar + Reilly's rights

Tatar has been a nice surprise but if Leddy is truly available this summer he fits Montreal's needs to a tee and at least one of Poehling or Suzuki should be up next year. Tatar adds more scoring to an Islanders team that needs it and Reilly has looked good at times this year, could be a cheap #6/7 with some upside.

Trade 2: Sekera (800k retained) + 2020 3rd for Hudon's rights + Weise

Maybe I'm a bit off with how badly the Oilers would like to move Sekera for cap space but I figure saving about 2.4 let's them do a little more in the summer, plus Weise has only one year. I don't think Hudon has a spot with Montreal next year, but he is a smart player and could maybe be the type of guy that plays well with McDavid, definitely just a throw in. If Sekera is healthy he's a solid #4/5 still, and Montreal can afford to eat the dead cap if not.

With only Lehkonen, Armia, Kulak and maybe Weal to resign, this significantly bolsters the defence and leaves Montreal with room to sign a top available free agent forward.

Reactions: Pav96

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
That's a yes from me.

Sekera is still good and would be your best LD off the rip. We need the cap to pursue a forward in FA. And we could bury Weise or trade him away for nothing to Ottawa or something since they need to hit the floor.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Sekera is too slow - not an option for the Habs’ style of game.

Leddy would be a good option on LHD. What would the Isles want?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Easy no for me, saving $2.35M on Sekera isn't enough for me, there isn't a chance in hell that we can get a replacement D that is anywhere close to as good for that money, I don't want Weise. I wouldn't mind trying Hudon, but he should be had for quite cheap (5th/6th round pick territory).

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The Oilers have played very well with Sekera in the line up(9W-5L-3OT/L)
They shouldnt be in a hurry to get rid of him.
Hudon won't be qualified by Montreal(or Edmonton), and huge pass on Weise

Reactions: The Nuge

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Gardiner probably Montreal's best option at LD. Din't have to give up anything to get Gardiner. Leafs been weaker team without him. Can move the puck with offense. Weber could cover up his defensive issues.

Reactions: angry pirate

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’m not sure why exactly Edmonton would do this. Giving up a 3rd rounder, a spot on the 50 man list, and retaining 15% ish to get back two useless pieces doesn’t make much sense. Weise has negative value and if we want to sign Hudon we can do so in a couple months because I sincerely doubt he’s getting a contract offer from the Habs.

If the cap savings were more significant, or what we were getting back had any value, I’d think about it, but Weise+Hudon = 3 mil or so, and retaining 800k on Sekera means we’re only saving 1.7 mil.

Sekera’s been pretty good since he came back. I doubt he’ll ever be the 2/3 guy for us that he was before but he’s a 4/5 right now. Not valueless and not a cap dump.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Trade 1: Leddy for Tatar + Reilly's rights

Tatar has been a nice surprise but if Leddy is truly available this summer he fits Montreal's needs to a tee and at least one of Poehling or Suzuki should be up next year. Tatar adds more scoring to an Islanders team that needs it and Reilly has looked good at times this year, could be a cheap #6/7 with some upside.

Trade 2: Sekera (800k retained) + 2020 3rd for Hudon's rights + Weise

No interest in Tatar as the key piece in a Leddy trade.

Also,the isles do not need a cheap 6/7. They have a bunch of cheap, blue line prospects pushing for nhl jobs in Bridgeport .

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Leddy would be a good option on LHD. What would the Isles want?

I don't want the Islanders to actively trade Leddy but if the right offer comes up for a 2nd line center I would go for it

Only other way I trade Leddy is if the Islanders have an amazing offseason signing/trading for players and we need to free up caproom, but even then I probably try dump other contracts before Leddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad