Addition by Subtraction?

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
My main disappointment with this team is that I was pleased about the players they lost or traded from the 2018-19 season, naively thinking that this season would go better without them. And like many here, I was excited about acquiring Kessel. Here are the statistics for players with more than 20 games played for the Coyotes last season, and the stats for their new teams this season. Other than Strome, do you miss any of these guys?
9jg28Up.jpg

Here are the stats for significant additions.
4CZhsUv.jpg

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Sodaberg is pretty comparable to Panik but plays C and is more consistent. Slight edge to Soda even if he is slowing down now. Paniks numbers are down, but I'm sure his minutes are as well.

Last year's Gally seems better than this year's Kessel. This year's Gally seems pretty abysmal even compared to this year's Kessel. Kessel was at least an exciting name to add and RT actually likes him. In hindsight I wish we didn't make the Kessel trade. At the time I was in disbelief that one of my favorite characters/players in the league was going to be on the team I root for. I suspect many felt the same, and maybe it helped with the energy early in the season (reaching here but it's all I got). Wonder if he stays on the team if he can return to a 55-65 point player and this is just a down year. Maybe a slight net negative here but not much.

I won't comment on the Kempe's and Archie's of the list, but I do wish we kept Cousins. He brought the edge and grittiness we are missing and can put up points. I would have preferred to see Hino or Grabner moved for depth at defense and have kept Cousins then let him walk. Also has the C/W optionality. A Cousins-Soda-Fischer line could cause fits.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I wouldn't call Ness a "significant addition", but we definitely need more scoring from Phil "The Thrill" and Tocchet needs to play Hayton.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Yeah, it's weird though as you expect the team to be higher up in the standings with these swaps. As a fan, it felt like Galchenyuk may have been better for us had we kept him, but who knows what goes on behind the scenes, and why he has been in the rut he's gotten into for what is now his 4th team in 18 months. Cousins is the only other one I think could still be swapped in for the most part, but that's just the way contracts work and I don't know that I'd want him for what Montréal committed for him.

On the whole, goals against is actually on pretty much the same pace as last season, though anecdotally I feel like we had better defense last year. We are scoring more, I think it was like .15 or so more goals per game than last season. I think our talent level certainly has increased, but it's likely that a lot of guys would agree, they can be better. Hopefully, they can get things going more strongly for the remainder.

Edit: Oh, a whole year for $1M for Cousins, guess that would have been ok, but still probably too much of a logjam on the fourth line.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Id rather have Cousins than Grabner. Cheaper and I think he's the more effective player now. It might be due to him scoring a shorty against us a couple weeks ago but I also miss Archibald a bit. Althoug not skilled, he brought a lot of energy and was never a passenger.

When Ness was a regular I did miss KConn a lil bit hahaha.

Don't miss Strome at all. I'd rather have Schmaltz.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Connauton was badly injured by a puck. His games played are not reflective of performance. He played down on the Eagles for half the year and did well; as any NHL'r should.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Strome started putting up points again now that they have him on a line with Kane. He's pretty useless without top talent next to him as he skates like John Scott. It'll be interesting to see what offer Chicago has for him this summer. I imagine something around $4 million but I'm hoping he gets traded just to watch him cry as he wont be able to do anymore TicTok videos with his bestie Debrincat. Strome seriously annoys the shit out of me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lilhoody

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Strome started putting up points again now that they have him on a line with Kane. He's pretty useless without top talent next to him as he skates like John Scott. It'll be interesting to see what offer Chicago has for him this summer. I imagine something around $4 million but I'm hoping he gets traded just to watch him cry as he wont be able to do anymore TicTok videos with his bestie Debrincat. Strome seriously annoys the shit out of me.

He got a concussion then hurt his ankle right after he came back. Yes he's not a superstar but he's not a slug either. He was second on the team in points before the concussion and he's only had 7 points since. Yes he needs to play on an offensive line to produce. Everybody in the league except our geniuses know that. He is what he is. Doesn't make him a bad player. He certainly could help on our PP. He might be slow and not physical but he gets his ass in front of the net.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I imagine something around $4 million but I'm hoping he gets traded just to watch him cry as he wont be able to do anymore TicTok videos with his bestie Debrincat. Strome seriously annoys the shit out of me.

Imagine hating a player for no reason this much. How sad.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Imagine hating a player for no reason this much. How sad.
Hate and annoy have different meanings. He's an overrated baby that talked sh** about the Coyotes when he was traded. Plenty of Hawks fans have expressed similar views on his skating and lack of play unless paired with someone like Kane.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hate and annoy have different meanings. He's an overrated baby that talked sh** about the Coyotes when he was traded. Plenty of Hawks fans have expressed similar views on his skating and lack of play unless paired with someone like Kane.

The trash talk was totally justified with the way the Coyotes treated him after he put in all that time to develop. They treat Garland or Hayton poorly and it will happen again. Meanwhile, Schmaltz has been busted down to the 4th line due to lack of effort/bad play.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The trash talk was totally justified with the way the Coyotes treated him after he put in all that time to develop. They treat Garland or Hayton poorly and it will happen again. Meanwhile, Schmaltz has been busted down to the 4th line due to lack of effort/bad play.
All moves made under the watchful eye of a top 5 GM.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I think they might be show casing him to move him this summer, need to boost his stats. Read the Hawks boards, he gets points with Kane/Cat/PP but otherwise an ineffective player in all other areas. We might have made a mistake with the Schmaltz contract, he isn't as good when not playing with Kane either. But, Schmaltz is better than Strome in all other areas, so that is good, I guess.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think they might be show casing him to move him this summer, need to boost his stats. Read the Hawks boards, he gets points with Kane/Cat/PP but otherwise an ineffective player in all other areas. We might have made a mistake with the Schmaltz contract, he isn't as good when not playing with Kane either. But, Schmaltz is better than Strome in all other areas, so that is good, I guess.
Any player would boost their stats playing with Kane. You do know that Strome is averaging a better PPG than Cat? That is with coming back after a concussion and ankle injury. In fact, his PPG is better than Schmaltz. Why do you keep on saying that Strome and Schmaltz aren't as good when not playing with Kane? Both of those players have no where near the talent of Kane, so of course they will look better with Kane on the same line. Kane is a top 10 player in the NHL today.

Reactions: RemoAZ

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Any player would boost their stats playing with Kane. You do know that Strome is averaging a better PPG than Cat? That is with coming back after a concussion and ankle injury. In fact, his PPG is better than Schmaltz. Why do you keep on saying that Strome and Schmaltz aren't as good when not playing with Kane? Both of those players have no where near the talent of Kane, so of course they will look better with Kane on the same line. Kane is a top 10 player in the NHL today.
Cat is better in other areas than Strome, which is why the Hawks will keep Cat and trade Strome. Schmaltz and Strome both have inflated values because of success playing with Kane. Without Kane, neither has near as much value but Chayka gave out a contract partly based on schmaltzs play as a Hawk with Kane. Strome is the same, except he is worse in that if he isn't scoring he can't help his team. We are finding this out with Kessel as well, turns out he isn't as good without the talent he had in Pitt around him.

Go read the Hawks board, they are saying exactly the same thing. They have been trying to hide Strome on the wing parts of the year to hide his poor D play as well. Strome needs to be in the top 6 with talented players, and he will get points. The problem is, you get tougher matchups in the top 6 and he gets exposed on D when he plays C.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I suspect there will be no winner in the Strome/Schmaltz trade and unfortunately not because they both became first liners.

Reactions: Jakey53 and BUX7PHX

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I suspect there will be no winner in the Strome/Schmaltz trade and unfortunately not because they both became first liners.

Unless Strome gets overpaid, we lose. Both soft but I still think Strome is the better player because he is a legit center and good on the PP. Not to mention I believe Strome can still improve if he commits to getting in the weight room in the off season. Schmaltz is what he is. A fast, perimeter winger that plays a soft, uninspired game. Problem is now he's being paid like a core piece. Put Garland's effort and grit into either of these guys and they're all stars. That's the sad part.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Unless Strome gets overpaid, we lose. Both soft but I still think Strome is the better player because he is a legit center and good on the PP. Not to mention I believe Strome can still improve if he commits to getting in the weight room in the off season. Schmaltz is what he is. A fast, perimeter winger that plays a soft, uninspired game. Problem is now he's being paid like a core piece. Put Garland's effort and grit into either of these guys and they're all stars. That's the sad part.
I'm not convinced Strome is the better player. I think they're about the same, albeit with different pros/cons. Strome probably has a higher ceiling but I also think he has a lower floor. Schmaltz is Schmaltz. I think they both suffer from anti-Garland though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad