Adding a midfielder type position in the NHL?

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I like the idea that every team should add one professional poker player. They play a hand before the game and the winner gets a point in the standings.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
This nothing really new even though you appear to be new to the game. There is a position called "Centre". This guy plays in the "Mid" if you like to use fancy words. Instead of a "field" the game is played on an "ice". There can be defensive, two-way (box to box(?)) or offensive types. Similar to your soccer. Now you owe be 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Read a book instead please.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There is no way to take this thread seriously given positions in hockey are essentially arbitrary anyway and players can play their position any way they choose.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I'm not familiar with soccer, but after reading a description of the position, it sounds exactly like the center position in all its varying aspects.

Some centers are primarily passers and distribute the puck. Some are more defensive minded so they play a more defensive roll.

Now the positions in hockey can be fluid, where centers may find themselves deep in the offensive zone. But generally there will always be a forward high fulfilling defensive responsibilities regardless of what official position they're playing.

So yeah. I think position is filled so to speak.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
In a general manner of speaking, the entire game is played in three layers.

Standard forechecks in the both offensive and neutral zones are 1-2-2 or 2-1-2 (sometimes a hybrid of both and/or the dreaded 1-3-1). Defensive zone coverages usually have some variation of responsibilities covering the point, slot and low trenches.

Adversely, a puck carrying dman on the breakout generally has three layers of options, with a high outlet, middle support and a partner back on a hinge. Off the rush teams also tend to attack in three layers with a man driving the net, at least one trailer option and always atleast one D staying home.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So... I take if from the OP that changes are inevitable... and those changes include creating a position that already exists...to perform a role that position already performs.

Got it.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
This thread confuses me for several reasons

I think changes are inevitable in hockey.

For what reason?

I was thinking about NHL coming up with an idea to have a midfielder type position while keeping the same number of players on the ice.

No reason put for why changes are necessary... But we already see what solution is proposed?

Would that work? A bit similar to soccer. I'm not sure how this will affect the gameplay in general, but it would be cool to see it in a game or two for testing. Preseason maybe?

Again, would it work to help with WHAT? Sure it would be cool, but I see no reason for it, why try it or whatever.

It would be cool to see MAF in net with a cowboy hat on, should we try it in the preseason?

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
You know what makes more sense? We should shrink soccer pitches and replace the grass with ice. :shakehead

Seriously, why are there always these suggestions to take an element from another sport the OP watches and inject it into hockey just 'cause?

I suppose I can see why an individual would want to spice up hockey, but injecting an arbitrary facet of a totally different sport is almost always the answer (basketball's shot-clock, football's four-quarters, soccer midfielders, is there a suggestion to have a pit-lane on the ice so players get there skates sharpened and stick re-taped on the go?), and I think it's just trying to change hockey for the sake of change, and not to fix anything. That is in, my opinion, a ridiculous idea to entertain.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Lets add freekicks aka freeshots. Yellow cards and red cards also. I honestly would love to see Weber taking a slapper and there's a wall made of players right in front of him. Or there's not.

Sometimes these ideas are like the ones that you come up with after a couple of shots of Koskenkorva and say it out loud.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Hockey rink is far too small for a midfield position. I do think it's a bit curious though how the 2 defencemen 3 forwards orthodoxy has remained in hockey at all times.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
How about we add ringette line to hockey?

Free Play Line (aka Ringette Line)

The red line at the top of the defensive circles is called the Free Play Line. It marks the restricted area of each team's attacking/defending zones. Only three players from each team, plus the defending goaltender, are permitted into the restricted areas.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
A change of a name sticker for "inevitable rules change". Sure, lol.

Keep everything related to soccer as far from the hockey as possible, please.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
There is no way to take this thread seriously given positions in hockey are essentially arbitrary anyway and players can play their position any way they choose.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Doesn't change the game at all even if NHL starts calling all five players 'swimmers' or 'golfers'.

Phil Kessels Hot Dog

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton in 5
You know what makes more sense? We should shrink soccer pitches and replace the grass with ice. :shakehead

Seriously, why are there always these suggestions to take an element from another sport the OP watches and inject it into hockey just 'cause?

I suppose I can see why an individual would want to spice up hockey, but injecting an arbitrary facet of a totally different sport is almost always the answer (basketball's shot-clock, football's four-quarters, soccer midfielders, is there a suggestion to have a pit-lane on the ice so players get there skates sharpened and stick re-taped on the go?), and I think it's just trying to change hockey for the sake of change, and not to fix anything. That is in, my opinion, a ridiculous idea to entertain.

That's called Bandy and it looks like so much fun!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad