Adding a midfielder type position in the NHL?

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
I think changes are inevitable in hockey. I was thinking about NHL coming up with an idea to have a midfielder type position while keeping the same number of players on the ice.

So it would be:
2 forwards, 1 midfielder, 2 defenceman.

Would that work? A bit similar to soccer. I'm not sure how this will affect the gameplay in general, but it would be cool to see it in a game or two for testing. Preseason maybe?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think changes are inevitable in hockey. I was thinking about NHL coming up with an idea to have a midfielder type position while keeping the same number of players on the ice.

So it would be:

Would that work? A bit similar to soccer. I'm not sure how this will affect the gameplay in general, but it would be cool to see it in a game or two for testing. Preseason maybe?

So even less goals get scored? Good idea :sarcasm:

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
You might be interested in looking up the torpedo system:

2 forwards
2 midfields
1 dman

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

So it would be:

Why? Because scoring is at 5.3 something instead of 5.7 something? Give me a break.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
My sons team runs what they call the torpedo...

2 torpedos (forward)
2 halfbacks (centers)
1 defenseman

It's go go go. Shot shot shot. I love it. They win a lot, teams don't know what to do with it. Like a run and gun offense

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
A centre is pretty much the hockey equivalent to a midfielder: expected to stay back a bit in the offensive zone and expected to play deep in the defensive zone...

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

So it would be:

so you want to bring back the rover position and call it new?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_(ice_hockey)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad