Adding a D, what are your pairings?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Here's some outside the box thinking. Perhaps the solution to finding a partner for Rielly is to trade Rielly. LOL. It will never happen, but it does kind of make sense given we are a better defensively and are 19-2-1 without him. 19 f***ing 2 and 1.

A RHD should/is clearly our top priority this deadline. Parayko would be an amazing addition.

Rielly - Parayko
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe
Go BIG or go home. I like it.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Peeke is relatively cheap to acquire, low cap hit, term and was trending in a very good career trajectory for a while... maybe a change of scenery would get him back on track.

Dumba is just not good. Why do we want to trade assets for someone who will actually make us worse?

Dumba Not What He Used to Be​

Dumba has been averaging 21:12 of ice time for the Wild this season, almost tied with Jared Spurgeon for the team lead by a wide margin. While it is clear the Wild have a lot of trust in him, and Dumba is playing top-four minutes, he is not playing his best hockey. The defenseman, who is turning 29 in June, has been struggling defensively, and his skating doesn’t seem to be what it once was.

Per Money Puck, Dumba has an on-ice expected goals percentage of 43. Among defensemen with 100 minutes or more, this ranks 185th out of 252. He ranks a bit higher in Fenwick-for percentage (on-ice unblocked shot attempts) at 45 percent, which ranks 168th. Even if you prefer the eye test to advance analytics, a collection of fans on Twitter seem to agree that his speed are awareness are declining, and he takes too many unnecessary penalties.

""

I am not a Dumba fan, my suggestion that we look at him is based on the assumption that the acquisition cost is low. He is also a rental and not a mistake we have to correct next year.

I am pretty sure you could find equally (probably worse) assessments of Peeke this season. CBJ fans are trying to get out from that contract. It seems like a risk to trade for a guy that we hope can find his game on a new team heading into the PO.

I don't like next year on Peeke. Seems risky. If they eat on this contract (which some say they may buy out) and acquisition cost isow, then sure. I am not convinced he is better than Lagesson right now.

Reactions: jaric1862

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I am not a Dumba fan, my suggestion that we look at him is based on the assumption that the acquisition cost is low. He is also a rental and not a mistake we have to correct next year.

I am pretty sure you could find equally (probably worse) assessments of Peeke this season. CBJ fans are trying to get out from that contract. It seems like a risk to trade for a guy that we hope can find his game on a new team heading into the PO.

I don't like next year on Peeke. Seems risky. If they eat on this contract (which some say they may buy out) and acquisition cost isow, then sure. I am not convinced he is better than Lagesson right now.
ur crazy if you think laggys even close

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

On Peeke, that's a fair statement. There is risk to Peeke. A couple of years ago, he was absolutely someone I wanted to obtain. He was playing very well, big, mobile, physical, good defensively, exactly the type of guy you'd want beside Mo.. but when Columbus started to be terrible, and their goaltending blew up last year... Elvis put up a 0.876 SV % last year, Peeke's game suffered. He had a poor year last year, Columbus made a bunch of offseason acquisitions, and now they have 5 RD. At least Jiricek can be moved to the AHL, though he's very unhappy being their, and believes he's being held back... he's got a point.

They had Gudbranson, traded for Severson and his $6.25 mil contract, already had Boqvist as well.... So Peeke was the odd man out. This year has been worse for him..

He really needs a new start somewhere else, as I think this is more mental, than what speaks about his capability. I agree that there is risk with him, that he doesn't go back to how he was trending prior to last year. I mean, if you end up getting the 21/22 trajectory Peeke on that contract, it's one of the biggest steals out there. If he doesn't get back there, it's a boat anchor absolutely.

If I thought Peeke wasn't a risk, he'd be at the top of my list. If I was absolutely confident he would be "peak" Peeke, he'd be much higher. That there are a bunch of people below him, is more of a reflection of I like them even less, or in some cases, their contracts less. Parayko is expensive, we've seen our guys walk around him like he's a pylon, he just doesn't deal with speed well anymore. Tanev is a player I like, but he's had injuries and is a UFA. If you could guarantee a reasonable contract extension, I'd rank him higher. I don't think Mayfield or X are good enough to be a Mo partner.... Schenn's contract is terrible for who he is, and he's played terribly this year. Then there are just a bunch of names.

And Dumba, who just isn't good anymore, and doesn't bring the qualities that we once thought of. We are just better doing nothing, than obtaining him, at any price. I mean, Dumba at 50% for Reaves... I'd consider that... because we get out of Reaves contract...

I'm a Peeke fan.. Lagesson isn't close to the player Peeke was two years ago.... Today... they aren't that far apart to be honest... Peeke's game has taken a turn for the worse with Columbus being bad... I don't know if it's his confidence, because there hasn't been a significant injury that I'm aware of to explain it. With his contract at $2.75... 2021/22 Peeke is a bargain... today, it's a boat anchor, unless he returns to form.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Here's some outside the box thinking. Perhaps the solution to finding a partner for Rielly is to trade Rielly. LOL. It will never happen, but it does kind of make sense given we are a better defensively and are 19-2-1 without him. 19 f***ing 2 and 1.

I think part of the problem with Rielly is we keep thinking of Rielly as a 1st pairing D-man, IMO he is a really good 2nd pairing #3 D man, not a 1st pairing Dman. So that means we wont trade him because we think of him as a 1st pairing dman, if we thought he was a 2nd pairing dman he would be slotted in the right spot and or a guy we could trade. I think he does not think at the level of a 1st pairing dman. Instinctively he wants to keep the puck as long as possible to create plays, which often leads to turnovers or panic dump the puck plays. He is a very very very good #3. I've been of your opinion for a few years now that maybe we need to trade this guy. We have been looking for a partner for Rielly for 12 years, maybe the problem is not that it hard to find a guy to play with Rielly but Rilley is hard to play with?

Reactions: ToneDog and arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
On Peeke, that's a fair statement. There is risk to Peeke. A couple of years ago, he was absolutely someone I wanted to obtain. He was playing very well, big, mobile, physical, good defensively, exactly the type of guy you'd want beside Mo.. but when Columbus started to be terrible, and their goaltending blew up last year... Elvis put up a 0.876 SV % last year, Peeke's game suffered. He had a poor year last year, Columbus made a bunch of offseason acquisitions, and now they have 5 RD. At least Jiricek can be moved to the AHL, though he's very unhappy being their, and believes he's being held back... he's got a point.

They had Gudbranson, traded for Severson and his $6.25 mil contract, already had Boqvist as well.... So Peeke was the odd man out. This year has been worse for him..

He really needs a new start somewhere else, as I think this is more mental, than what speaks about his capability. I agree that there is risk with him, that he doesn't go back to how he was trending prior to last year. I mean, if you end up getting the 21/22 trajectory Peeke on that contract, it's one of the biggest steals out there. If he doesn't get back there, it's a boat anchor absolutely.

If I thought Peeke wasn't a risk, he'd be at the top of my list. If I was absolutely confident he would be "peak" Peeke, he'd be much higher. That there are a bunch of people below him, is more of a reflection of I like them even less, or in some cases, their contracts less. Parayko is expensive, we've seen our guys walk around him like he's a pylon, he just doesn't deal with speed well anymore. Tanev is a player I like, but he's had injuries and is a UFA. If you could guarantee a reasonable contract extension, I'd rank him higher. I don't think Mayfield or X are good enough to be a Mo partner.... Schenn's contract is terrible for who he is, and he's played terribly this year. Then there are just a bunch of names.

And Dumba, who just isn't good anymore, and doesn't bring the qualities that we once thought of. We are just better doing nothing, than obtaining him, at any price. I mean, Dumba at 50% for Reaves... I'd consider that... because we get out of Reaves contract...

I'm a Peeke fan.. Lagesson isn't close to the player Peeke was two years ago.... Today... they aren't that far apart to be honest... Peeke's game has taken a turn for the worse with Columbus being bad... I don't know if it's his confidence, because there hasn't been a significant injury that I'm aware of to explain it. With his contract at $2.75... 2021/22 Peeke is a bargain... today, it's a boat anchor, unless he returns to form.
im pretty sure it was said they were willing to eat some of the money on his contract as he's an expensive #7 dman with the log jam at rd 1.5 for that kind of player is worth a mid round pk

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

My worry is that all of our late season additions have done virtually nothing for us. I guess ROR sort of got us out of RD1 last year but outside that. It's been pretty terrible actually. Schenn was good as well, can't forget him.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I think part of the problem with Rielly is we keep thinking of Rielly as a 1st pairing D-man, IMO he is a really good 2nd pairing #3 D man, not a 1st pairing Dman. So that means we wont trade him because we think of him as a 1st pairing dman, if we thought he was a 2nd pairing dman he would be slotted in the right spot and or a guy we could trade. I think he does not think at the level of a 1st pairing dman. Instinctively he wants to keep the puck as long as possible to create plays, which often leads to turnovers or panic dump the puck plays. He is a very very very good #3. I've been of your opinion for a few years now that maybe we need to trade this guy. We have been looking for a partner for Rielly for 12 years, maybe the problem is not that it hard to find a guy to play with Rielly but Rilley is hard to play with?
think that boat sailed when they traded sandin at this point you keep him just slot him properly and play him properly or pay for tanev and let them run wild

Reactions: ToneDog

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Leafs need to steer clear of Dumba, just like they should have steered clear of Klingberg, or Barrie. They don't need a "lesser", right handed version of Morgan Rielly. They need somebody that actually compliments Morgan Rielly. A "better" Luke Schenn.

Yes, Chris Tanev would have been an ideal solution 3-4 years ago, but he's 34 years old, with a long list of injuries, and plays on a team that frankly, likely does not want to deal with us. To burn the haul of assets that Calgary is going to want for him, only to be left with the choice of signing what will certainly be a bad contract, or letting him walk, doesn't make much sense.

The guy I'd look at is Connor Murphy in Chicago. Has plenty of experience playing a big role for the Hawks. Has an injury history which is concerning, but at 30 years old with 2 years left at $4.4m, fits nicely into the team's salary structure. Treliving has past dealings with Chicago as well.

Another top target, IMO, would be Adam Larsson in Seattle.

Andrew Peeke maybe a "consolotation target"... but certainly not for any of our 1st / Cowan / Minten.... maybe close to straight up for 1 of Robertson, Timmins, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafSteel

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
My worry is that all of our late season additions have done virtually nothing for us. I guess ROR sort of got us out of RD1 last year but outside that. It's been pretty terrible actually. Schenn was good as well, can't forget him.
They tried to change their spots at the TDL and it did not work. Hated the moves unless we could take another run with these guys and they all walked. Then again, if the goal was winning a round, mission accomplished. Guess we should have known they would lose the next round after they celebrated their win over Tampa like it was 1999.

Reactions: Hellcat

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I am not crazy. Have you seen what Peeke has put up this year? He is scratched and talk of a buyout. On Columbus. I am saying that Lagesson makes way less, has not commitment for next year, doesn't come with acquisition cost and has performed better THIS year.

Those are all facts.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Will Borgen
the guy that penny's brother is propping up? he's like ruuta to me same kind of player being propped up by a stud dman which we don't have

I am not crazy. Have you seen what Peeke has put up this year? He is scratched and talk of a buyout. On Columbus. I am saying that Lagesson makes way less, has not commitment for next year, doesn't come with acquisition cost and has performed better THIS year.

Those are all facts.
but its not switch the players and their stats are completely different and not just opposite i mean completely different

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
the guy that penny's brother is propping up? he's like ruuta to me same kind of player being propped up by a stud dman which we don't have

but its not switch the players and their stats are completely different and not just opposite i mean completely different
Borgen will compliment Rielly's game very well.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Have to disagree. I don’t think there’s any question Rielly is a top pairing D. The only way you might choose to not put him there is if you have either a) an embarrassment of riches on the backend or b) you envision your top pair as your shutdown pair. There are loads of bonafide 1st pairing D in the league who do not have a robust defensive game.

I would also say it’s a mischaracterization to say we’ve been looking for his partner for 12 years. Over that tenure Rielly has meshed well with several players and for long stretches of time. Namely Ron Hainsey, and TJ Brodie, but to a lesser extent guys like Schenn too who we didn’t retain. We’ve been looking still during those times largely because of we lacked depth behind those pairs (and to some extent because Brodie and Hainsey were definitely not top pairing D)

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I know I'm not answering the question, but I'd leave the D as is.
Brodie-Lilegren
Reilly-Lagesson
Benoit-McCabe
Giordano, Timmins the depth in case of injury.

Right now, honestly I would not even dream of changing what's working. And clearly this entire team is working right now.

Secondly, if another D-man is brought in you just know Sheldon is going to use that as an excuse to tinker with the pairings for the rest of the season and probably into the playoffs. He has too, it's like some kind of OCD/fetish of his. So please, I beg of you Mr. Treliving, don't give him any reason to tinker. Oh, and lastly if we're talking a top 4 guy like Tanev it's too late, simply not enough time to adjust to a new team. If anything depth, like 7th or 8th level.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

Thanks for this detail. I think I agree with the points...

Peeke is too risky to hope he can regain his form down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Picking him up now and I tying up a spot and cap space for a guy that is a buyout target can't be a good idea.

However, I agree that he is an intriguing reclamation project. It we could get him next to nothing with some retention. Maybe trade Timmins for him? I get the appeal but don't like the risk.

I am not a Dumba fan, I just like the low acquisition cost and lack on commitment beyond this year. I also have read that he has had a decent year this year. I would also be OK with Lyubushkin for all of the same reasons.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Reilly-XXX
Brodie-Liljegren
McCabe-Benoit

XXX in order of who I would want to in that spot

1. Larsson
2. Gudas
3. Weegar
4. Murphy
5. Zub
6. Oleksiak
7. Peeke
8.Gudbranson
9. Tanev
10. Rutta
11. Parayko
12. Mayfield
13. Xhekaj
14. Schenn
15 Timmins
16. Niemela
17. Lagesson
18. Lyubuskin
19. Marner
20. Dmitri Yushkevich
21. Dumba
Did you forget Carrier or Dumba > Carrier

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

The issue with a 19-2-1 record is that it only accounts for 22 games. By comparison, how many more games have been played with Rielly in the lineup?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I don’t really like the idea of tanev

Paying a 1st + whatever for him retained wouldn’t be awful but I really worry about the age

He’s getting to 35+ and players take huge nose dives off after that age

I’m not particularly interested in giving a first for a relatively short term solution, I’d rather try and get a long term one whether we give more assets up or through free agency.

Andersson, Pettersson, maybe Larsson

Otherwise I’d rather target someone like:
Carrier, Lyubushkin, Fabbro, Middleton

Now idk how the handedness of all those players are and if they can play on their offside so if none of them are options, we may have to overpay for tanev, but I’d rather now

Rielly - Targett from above
Brodie - Liljegren
McCabe - Benoit
Gio/Lagesson

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
David Savard would be a perfect complement for Rielly...

but considerating leafs dont want to trade their 1st or top prospect...

Walker, Carrier, Edmundson, Dumba will probably be leafs target

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The issue with a 19-2-1 record is that it only accounts for 22 games. By comparison, how many more games have been played with Rielly in the lineup?
22 games is a pretty good sample size. Clearly he is not being moved so I believe the solution is to give him fewer minutes. Still find it funny when he is down low at the goal line when he is the only dman on the PP.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
22 games is a pretty good sample size. Clearly he is not being moved so I believe the solution is to give him fewer minutes. Still find it funny when he is down low at the goal line when he is the only dman on the PP.
Fair enough about giving him fewer minutes. I'd still have to disagree with 22 games being a good sample size though when the player in question has 771 NHL games under his belt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad