Adding a D, what are your pairings?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
In order, I would trade for...

Tanev
Dumba
Lyubushkin

Tanev is the best fit, but might be too expensive. I say we make our final offer for Tanev and let them know if they don't accept it we are moving on and then we got get Dumba.

3rd Round Pick
Abruzzese

For

Dumba (small retention if required).

That's it. Our chemistry is too good right now. We let the guys we have here keep rolling. We don't add lots of players and we don't subtract important pieces.

We take this seven game winning streak roster and we add Dumba, Jarnkrok and Woll.

As a side note, I am curious to see if we add any depth come playoffs with either Murray or Klingberg recovering from surgeries once the there is no cap.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I imagine they bring in a meathead like prior years. Lybushkin seems likely.

Reactions: 67leafs

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I feel like Pat Peeke is the best bet for a low acquisition cost/best fit combo. But it has its risks. If you feel confident he can play the simple game next to Mo, he costs ~1/2 of Brodie with some term. Pretty attractive cost certainty going into the off-season.
Ruuta is the more likely under the radar small fish add given potential cost and fit and playoff experience.
So:
Reilly-Peeke/Ruuta
Brodie-Liljegren
McCabe-Benoit

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I too am of the thought of adding peeke as my number 1 option tanev while great fit will cost too much and im worried about the mileage, larsson while even better in my opinion is even more expensive not even sure hes available peeke is younger cost controlled and much cheaper

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Reilly-XXX
Brodie-Liljegren
McCabe-Benoit

XXX in order of who I would want to in that spot

1. Larsson
2. Gudas
3. Weegar
4. Murphy
5. Zub
6. Oleksiak
7. Peeke
8.Gudbranson
9. Tanev
10. Rutta
11. Parayko
12. Mayfield
13. Xhekaj
14. Schenn
15 Timmins
16. Niemela
17. Lagesson
18. Lyubuskin
19. Marner
20. Dmitri Yushkevich
21. Dumba

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Reilly-XXX
Brodie-Liljegren
McCabe-Benoit

1. Larsson
2. Gudas
3. Weegar
4. Murphy
5. Zub
6. Oleksiak
7. Peeke
8.Gudbranson
9. Tanev
10. Rutta
11. Parayko
12. Mayfield
13. Xhekaj
14. Schenn
15 Timmins
16. Niemela
17. Lagesson
18. Lyubuskin
19. Marner
20. Dmitri Yushkevich
21. Dumba
Why is Peeke so high and Dumba so low. I don't follow CBJ enough to know. Is there reason to believe he will be better here? Might they eat on that one?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Why is Peeke so high and Dumba so low. I don't follow CBJ enough to know. Is there reason to believe he will be better here? Might they eat on that one?
Peeke is relatively cheap to acquire, low cap hit, term and was trending in a very good career trajectory for a while... maybe a change of scenery would get him back on track.

Dumba is just not good. Why do we want to trade assets for someone who will actually make us worse?

Dumba Not What He Used to Be​

Dumba has been averaging 21:12 of ice time for the Wild this season, almost tied with Jared Spurgeon for the team lead by a wide margin. While it is clear the Wild have a lot of trust in him, and Dumba is playing top-four minutes, he is not playing his best hockey. The defenseman, who is turning 29 in June, has been struggling defensively, and his skating doesn’t seem to be what it once was.

Per Money Puck, Dumba has an on-ice expected goals percentage of 43. Among defensemen with 100 minutes or more, this ranks 185th out of 252. He ranks a bit higher in Fenwick-for percentage (on-ice unblocked shot attempts) at 45 percent, which ranks 168th. Even if you prefer the eye test to advance analytics, a collection of fans on Twitter seem to agree that his speed are awareness are declining, and he takes too many unnecessary penalties.

""

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would be calling the Ducks about Cam Fowler because according to cap friendly he plays both sides, and cap friendly is pretty reliable.

The tough part would be fitting in his salary but he'd be a big add in my opinion.

2 other guys I'd be calling on are Rasmus Andersson and Adam Larsson.

I know these guys would cost a lot but I'm OK with that because all of them are under contract past this year.

If they are going to pay the big price that's fine, I'm good with that but I want it to be like the McCabe deal where they get somebody under contract.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I would be calling the Ducks about Cam Fowler because according to cap friendly he plays both sides, and cap friendly is pretty reliable.

The tough part would be fitting in his salary but he'd be a big add in my opinion.

I know these guys would cost a lot but I'm OK with that because all of them are under contract past this year.

If they are going to pay the big price that's fine, I'm good with that but I want it to be like the McCabe deal where they get somebody under contract.
no to fowler or anyone for that matter whos not right handed physical with decent pk skills

Reactions: MisterT

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Reilly-XXX
Brodie-Liljegren
McCabe-Benoit

1. Larsson
2. Gudas
3. Weegar
4. Murphy
5. Zub
6. Oleksiak
7. Peeke
8.Gudbranson
9. Tanev
10. Rutta
11. Parayko
12. Mayfield
13. Xhekaj
14. Schenn
15 Timmins
16. Niemela
17. Lagesson
18. Lyubuskin
19. Marner
20. Dmitri Yushkevich
21. Dumba
If they can bring back my favourite Leaf Yushkevich, that would be sweet

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Erik Karlsson is having another Norris caliber year.

He's liable to be a finalist again this year. After just winning it again last year. After already winning it twice in his career previously.

Karlsson's numbers this year are better than they were last year when he won the Norris.

Schenn, Parayko, and Peeke. Those aren't difference makers. A three time Norris trophy winning generational defenseman having one of the best years of his career.

Now THAT'S a difference maker.

And he's doing it on the shitty Pittsburgh Penguins. Just think about what he could be doing here. With a third party and some cap retention the Leafs could have Karlsson on the team for less than $5M AAV for the duration of the Matthews contract.

If it costs Minten, Cowan, the 1st, or precious Niemela for Dubas to do it the Leafs need to make it happen.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Reilly-XXX
Brodie-Liljegren
McCabe-Benoit

1. Larsson
2. Gudas
3. Weegar
4. Murphy
5. Zub
6. Oleksiak
7. Peeke
8.Gudbranson
9. Tanev
10. Rutta
11. Parayko
12. Mayfield
13. Xhekaj
14. Schenn
15 Timmins
16. Niemela
17. Lagesson
18. Lyubuskin
19. Marner
20. Dmitri Yushkevich
21. Dumba
Lol.

Marner.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

He's liable to be a finalist again this year. After just winning it again last year. After already winning it twice in his career previously.

Karlsson's numbers this year are better than they were last year when he won the Norris.

Schenn, Parayko, and Peeke. Those aren't difference makers. A three time Norris trophy winning generational defenseman having one of the best years of his career.

And he's doing it on the shitty Pittsburgh Penguins. Just think about what he could be doing here. With a third party and some cap retention the Leafs could have Karlsson on the team for less than $5M AAV for the duration of the Matthews contract.

If it costs Minten, Cowan, the 1st, or precious Niemela for Dubas to do it the Leafs need to make it happen.
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

That must the good kush for sure.

Nobody is ever going to retain for 3.5 years... that's just insane. Teams need to build balance, and while he is pretty good, that's not building a balanced team.

Bad idea is bad.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

So you want to bring in a left, to play on the right... because Capfriendly says he can play both sides, who isn't great defensively, and isn't physical... Everything I see, has him lined up pretty much exclusively on the Left Side this year.... we need physicality and defense out of the acquisition, you know to help our all time history worst team goaltending.

Reactions: LeafSteel

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I imagine they bring in a meathead like prior years. Lybushkin seems likely.
If we're gonna target lesser RHD.... then I would much rather target players like Jan Ruuta, Josh Brown, Erik Gubrandson or Matt Dumba over Lyubushkin

Lyubushkin is not feisty or gritty. Outside of a few big open ice hits, dude is a pansy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad