Adding a D, what are your pairings?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
IMO this is the best leafs team in 40 years. They should pay the 1st round pick for Tanev, or Larsson. Or maybe bring back Schenn. Letting Schenn go was a mistake. Rielly-Schenn were great together and they fit perfectly.

with 20-25 games left to create chemistry with group, team system, can you tell me without any doubt than thr difference between a guy like tanev and/or walker, carrier, edmundson or whatever will be that high?

the biggest name on market are not necessairly player who will adapt the most

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Have to disagree. I don’t think there’s any question Rielly is a top pairing D. The only way you might choose to not put him there is if you have either a) an embarrassment of riches on the backend or b) you envision your top pair as your shutdown pair. There are loads of bonafide 1st pairing D in the league who do not have a robust defensive game.

I would also say it’s a mischaracterization to say we’ve been looking for his partner for 12 years. Over that tenure Rielly has meshed well with several players and for long stretches of time. Namely Ron Hainsey, and TJ Brodie, but to a lesser extent guys like Schenn too who we didn’t retain. We’ve been looking still during those times largely because of we lacked depth behind those pairs (and to some extent because Brodie and Hainsey were definitely not top pairing D)

Fair but I think Schenn was a bit of a lightening in a bottle for a short period, he is having a horrid year this year in Nashville, there's no guarantee that he would have been good with Rielly this year, if he had signed here. I remember Riellys tenure, outside of one year as a struggle to find D partners, he has always been a square peg. Elite players make things easier not more difficult.

Reactions: arso40

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Will Borgen

Never heard of this guy, ever... playing 2nd pairing minutes, $2.7 mil cap hit ... sounds like the perfect guy for us to ruin ... :)

SCOUTING REPORT
The late-blooming defenseman is big, aggressive, a gifted athlete and good skater. Has never been much of a point producer and probably needs to contribute more to earn more ice time at the NHL level. May fit best on a pairing with an offensive partner where he assumes the stay-at-home role.
Long Range Potential : Decent defensive defenseman.

IMO this is the best leafs team in 40 years. They should pay the 1st round pick for Tanev, or Larsson. Or maybe bring back Schenn. Letting Schenn go was a mistake. Rielly-Schenn were great together and they fit perfectly.
giphy.gif

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Fair but I think Schenn was a bit of a lightening in a bottle for a short period, he is having a horrid year this year in Nashville, there's no guarantee that he would have been good with Rielly this year, if he had signed here. I remember Riellys tenure, outside of one year as a struggle to find D partners, he has always been a square peg. Elite players make things easier not more difficult.

exactly, rielly had been one of 2-4 best dman 200 feet of the ice last 2 post season playing alongside d who was at best a 5th/6th in NHL.. But leafs should find an amaizing d to make Rielly looking good come playoff time?

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I suspect Tanev will be the guy.
His familiarity with Tre, plus I remember him being a great partner with Rielly during a world championship.

He's a reliable, top 4 RHD, exactly what they need.

The hope is it's another Gio deal, where the player wants to come to Toronto, and they organization does what they can to accommodate it (ie a mix of mid round picks and prospects) or a swap of our 1st and their 2nd.

Reactions: Jojalu and arso40

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Despite this run. Leafs should still add a RHD if possible. I like the pairings of Brodie/Liliy and McCabe/Benoit, Who do you add to play with Mo?
We probably don't have what it will take to get Tanev as I think there will be a team with the right draft capital that will be required. Therefore, I'm hoping that we can get either Larsson from the Kraken, Carrier from the Preds, or Dumba from the Yotes. Larsson would be my #1 choice.

I imagine they bring in a meathead like prior years. Lybushkin seems likely.
With how few trade chips we have, as well as how little cap room, unfortunately you're probably right. I wish there was some way we could get Larsson.

Reactions: ACC1224

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
We probably don't have what it will take to get Tanev as I think there will be a team with the right draft capital that will be required. Therefore, I'm hoping that we can get either Larsson from the Kraken, Carrier from the Preds, or Dumba from the Yotes. Larsson would be my #1 choice.

With how few trade chips we have, as well as how little cap room, unfortunately you're probably right. I wish there was some way we could get Larsson.
I have been encouraged by the reports that BT has made multiple offers for Tanev, but none with the 1st.

I guess the next 2 weeks we will see if someone is willing to pay the price.

TB could use him but have nothing to offer as well. The Canucks are still kicking tires.

I have always believed Tanev is the perfect partner for Rielly. Possibly BT just waits til next summer to go after him as an UFA

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I have been encouraged by the reports that BT has made multiple offers for Tanev, but none with the 1st.

I guess the next 2 weeks we will see if someone is willing to pay the price.

TB could use him but have nothing to offer as well. The Canucks are still kicking tires.

I have always believed Tanev is the perfect partner for Rielly. Possibly BT just waits til next summer to go after him as an UFA
Yes, Tanev would be ideal, but not for a 1st. My main concern for him is him being able to stay healthy. Probably a 3rd and either Rifai or Niemela would not be enough.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Yes, Tanev would be ideal, but not for a 1st. My main concern for him is him being able to stay healthy. Probably a 3rd and either Rifai or Niemela would not be enough.
He has missed 20 games in 4 years since joining Calgary.

I don't know why he was so often injured in Vancouver.

He does block a tonne of shots, so I guess the risk of being injured is always high

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Never heard of this guy, ever... playing 2nd pairing minutes, $2.7 mil cap hit ... sounds like the perfect guy for us to ruin ... :)

SCOUTING REPORT
The late-blooming defenseman is big, aggressive, a gifted athlete and good skater. Has never been much of a point producer and probably needs to contribute more to earn more ice time at the NHL level. May fit best on a pairing with an offensive partner where he assumes the stay-at-home role.
Long Range Potential : Decent defensive defenseman.

giphy.gif
Borgen definitely checks a lot of boxes and Seattle should be sellers this year. Signed for another season, hea definitely worth a first

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
He has missed 20 games in 4 years since joining Calgary.

I don't know why he was so often injured in Vancouver.

He does block a tonne of shots, so I guess the risk of being injured is always high
Wow, only 20 games in 4 years! Guess I should have looked at his stats before I said that! Yes, blocking lots of shots could certainly cause a player to miss some games.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I’m at the point where I am just good to grab a 5/6 kinda guy. Grab Tanev in FA. Use our first rounder on a quality player (and keep as a future trade chip).

I still think we a couple too many players away from being legit SC contenders.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I’m at the point where I am just good to grab a 5/6 kinda guy. Grab Tanev in FA. Use our first rounder on a quality player (and keep as a future trade chip).

im agree about no need to pay big price for a tanev but im nit agree than leafs a too many player away to have succes

for me last TDL by Dubas was a huge mistake. He changed 6 player with 5 new starting player( 28% of line up, outside goaltending). it was way too many change to enter in playoff, vreate a team chemistry, team spirit...

i think in this part, leafs is different.... Never we would saw leafs stepping up as high than what they did with rielly suspension by the past, never. Leafs maybe get better overal line up by the past but honestly i dont think team chemistry never be as high. see player going on the ice and protecting his teammate, we didn't saw it a lot but since marchand/liljegren incident... leafs player was reacting more than ever. its the x factor who can change everything.

florida no body was expecting tomsee this team reaching stanley cup, no body was expecting washington or stl to win stanley cup, not a lot of people would expect tampa finally wi the cup without stamkos.

some kind of thing we cant just evaluating

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

They havn't had any trouble with the West, and Florida is the only team I would hate to face.

Not that they would be favourites against Bos or NYR, but I like their chances.

This season doesn't really seem to have a clear favourite

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I feel like Pat Peeke is the best bet for a low acquisition cost/best fit combo. But it has its risks. If you feel confident he can play the simple game next to Mo, he costs ~1/2 of Brodie with some term. Pretty attractive cost certainty going into the off-season.
Ruuta is the more likely under the radar small fish add given potential cost and fit and playoff experience.
So:
Reilly-Peeke/Ruuta
Brodie-Liljegren
McCabe-Benoit
Peeke is risky as hell but still probably has a better upside than Boosh though, who's limits I think we have seen. I would have been happier with Peeke actually but you are really aiming low bringing in two 3rd pairing guys from doormat clubs. You can't hide two plugs with protected low minutes if they both don't perform.

If they add another D he needs to be safe. Ruuta is another almost 34 year old and he wasn't great on a middle of the pack Penguins team two years ago. His natural decline might be hidden by the Sharks tire fire. Not safe.

If Walker is maybe out, even though Tre just said he would be open to trading the 1st, I'm not sure what safe guy that might be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad