Confirmed with Link: Adams says there is no downside if Portillo & Johnson go back to college for another year

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Meanwhile, Adams said he plans to talk to two of the team’s other college prospects – Michigan goalie Erik Portillo and Minnesota defenseman Ryan Johnson – this weekend at the Frozen Four in Boston.

Adams said the Sabres are fine with the youngsters – Portillo is a sophomore and Johnson and is a junior – turning pro or returning to school.

“There’s no downside if they stay, in my opinion,” he said.

:popcorn:

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I think Portillo's decision will depend on how many others return next season. If Power, Beniers, Johnson, Brisson, Bordeleau, and Hughes all or most of them leave I don't see him staying for another year. They are already losing Blankenburg, Pastujov, and Lambert as their leadership core.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think Portillo's decision will depend on how many others return next season. If Power, Beniers, Johnson, Brisson, Bordeleau, and Hughes all or most of them leave I don't see him staying for another year. They are already losing Blankenburg, Pastujov, and Lambert as their leadership core.

This could be another factor in Portillo's decision making next week.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Eh, they do have a pretty amazing recruit class coming in though with both Fantilli brothers, Nasar, McGroarty, Casey and others.

Also, if they get sanctioned by the NCAA, that could play a part as well.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

This could be another factor in Portillo's decision making next week.
Yea I figured that was assumed to be a part of the decision process for any of the guys who were on the fence about returning. I'm curious when they will actually finish the investigation though, it's been a couple of months.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I‘d love to see research on (1) how many college draft picks play through their eligiblity and (2) of those that do how many sign with their drafting team and how many go to free agency.

We have two recent prospects who played out their eligibility. Petersen went the free agency route and Fitzgerald signed. He (Fitz)signed a ATO to play in Rochester at the end of his college season. Pushing the start of his ELC to the following year.

Last edited:
Reactions: jc17 and Dingo44

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
What role does the contract limit play? And what role does the substantial bonus money all these guys would get have with economically efficient Pegulas?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Eh, they do have a pretty amazing recruit class coming in though with both Fantilli brothers, Nasar, McGroarty, Casey and others.

Also, if they get sanctioned by the NCAA, that could play a part as well.

Inb4 the Leafs draft McGroarty and Dubas convinces him to sign with the Greyhounds

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Can someone please photoshop's Kevyn's head to this gif? Maybe have Portillo, Levi, and Johnson spilling out of the pot.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I was assuming we had one more year on him but I think you are right. Wow. Those are two tough ones to lose.
I think they will sign Power, Portillo and Johnson now, I would be surprised if they go back to college, then I would expect one or both (Portillo/Johnson) of them to be involved in some kind of trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad