Player Discussion Adam "the Magician" Larsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
He is much better than you guys are giving him credit for. Kid is on a great contract. An excellent shut down guy, great PKer, and untapped offensive potential.

Yayyyyyyyy, we love potential. It's worked out so well these last 10 years.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I am way okay with this.

The player Taylor Hall on the ice is a great player. I've enjoyed watching him and I will miss him.

I think there are some major question marks with this player. The Oiler brass had him billed as captain material, a franchise player. I think this is untrue. I think he is a driver on the ice, and a weak figure in the locker room. The team has been melting down and the eyes in the lockeroom have been on him. He did not answer the bell.

The coaches know him, the GM knows him, they felt they wanted to move this player along.

We got a HELL of a player with Adam Larsson. He is a 23 year old future 1D - that is fantastic. He will grow to play in all situation, fit in with our Swedes, and move the puck to our incredible group of forwards:

McDavid
Draisaitl
Nuge
Pulujujarvi
Eberle

Wow!

I love this trade. We got a pillar!

Nurse
Klefbom
Larsson

... That is one hell of a future top 3 defense.

Chill, guys. We got better today.

Chia ain't done.

Well put . Looking at Larsson numbers he got 70 % D zone starts . Pretty hard to put up offence in that situation . RHD is the hard ting to acquire in the NHL . Plus if we land Lucic and Demers we are a much better team . I think the playoffs will make people forget losing Hall . Chia took a year to get to know they players there is a reason Hall was moved . I think some of Yakupov's issue came from the fact Hall isolated him because in never fit into his little group of partiers

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Don't pay attention to offensive stats from D on NJ. Everybody's numbers are suppressed in NJ - very weak offense.

You guys need efficiency and patience back there - someone who will make the transition game much more effortless. With the forwards you have (McD, Pulju, Drais), Lars is your guy.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Look, Larsson is a fine defenceman, but he will always be compared to Hall. He has to be a number one or the fans are going to run him right out of town.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I think a lot of people on here are simply just in melt-down mode right now looking at the player we traded, so Larsson is gonna get a raw deal in any immediate analysis of this deal.

He had a bumpy first few years, but he's coming on steady and I think a couple of years from now Oilers fans are going to absolutely LOVE this player and tell the mains all about how untouchable he is.

We're acquiring a player just as he's hitting his stride; the price was pretty steep today, I won't lie, I think we could have gotten more, but I honestly also doubt we could have pulled this trade off one year from now.

Chiarelli obviously wasn't enamored with what he saw from Hallsy over the course of the full season, and he might not believe he can be a leader for this team going forward. Culture and core needed to change, and I now expect Lucic is 99% a done deal just waiting for July 1st to roll around.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I would love to hear the argument as to why "Adam Larsson is a legit top pairing guy".

Go ahead and show me the damn advanced stat chart. I'll go get one from Mark Fayne in the literal, exact same situation and it says the same ****.

Before Andy Greene, he was a suspect.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Hall was top 3 of my favourite Oiler players. My understanding here is that we wont be regretting this when were playing the first 2 games of a playoff series in our home arena. Larsson and Klefbom will play 25 minutes a night and will be lights out other teams top players.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
He's a legit top pairing guy. The deal still sucks but let's give the kid some credit here.

According to Lowetide:

cap hit of $4.166 million and is signed through 2021.
5×5 points per 60: 0.53
5×4 points per 60: nil
Qual Comp: Top opposition
Qual Team: Top support
Corsi for 5×5 %: 44.9
Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -3.5
Shots on goal/percentage: 65 shots/4.6 percent
Boxcars: 82GP, 3-15-18

Contrast with Mark Fayne last year:

Boxcars: 74GP, 2-6-8
5×5 points per 60: 0.36 (5th among regular D)
5×4 points per 60: nil (in two minutes)
Corsi for 5×5 %: 49.1
Qual Comp: toughest among regular D
Qual Team: 4th best available among regular D
Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -1.2
Shots on goal/percentage: 61 shots/3.3%
Boxcars: 69GP, 2-5-7

Fayne is a better player than Larsson.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I would love to hear the argument as to why "Adam Larsson is a legit top pairing guy".

Go ahead and show me the damn advanced stat chart. I'll go get one from Mark Fayne in the literal, exact same situation and it says the same ****.

Before Andy Greene, he was a suspect.

there's nothing amazing about Andy Greene. He is a good veteran shutdown guy. We can duplicate that contribution for Larsson by letting him play with Sekera if we wish. Still, we're probably aiming higher than that by seeing what him and Klefbom can do together.

Drafting Puljujarvi made Hall more expendable, as well as perhaps getting Lucic. Maybe Lucic doesn't sign there isn't an obvious spot for him on the roster.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I am way okay with this.

The player Taylor Hall on the ice is a great player. I've enjoyed watching him and I will miss him.

I think there are some major question marks with this player. The Oiler brass had him billed as captain material, a franchise player. I think this is untrue. I think he is a driver on the ice, and a weak figure in the locker room. The team has been melting down and the eyes in the lockeroom have been on him. He did not answer the bell.

The coaches know him, the GM knows him, they felt they wanted to move this player along.

We got a HELL of a player with Adam Larsson. He is a 23 year old future 1D - that is fantastic. He will grow to play in all situation, fit in with our Swedes, and move the puck to our incredible group of forwards:

McDavid
Draisaitl
Nuge
Pulujujarvi
Eberle

Wow!

I love this trade. We got a pillar!

Nurse
Klefbom
Larsson

... That is one hell of a future top 3 defense.

Chill, guys. We got better today.

Chia ain't done.

Hall was and is a very good player but NOT a great player.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yayyyyyyyy, we love potential. It's worked out so well these last 10 years.

a lot of Hall's greatness is potential too. It's a lot of "imagine him in front of a decent defense" or showing off some advanced stats.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
a lot of Hall's greatness is potential too. It's a lot of "imagine him in front of a decent defense" or showing off some advanced stats.

No, Taylor Hall is and has been for years one of the best and most productive forwards in the world.

You don't need advanced stats. Real stats prove that out.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Mediocre defenseman until he got paired with Andy Greene - who has made every D-partner he's played with over the last decade look better than they actually are. Deeply possible he's not a legitimate top-4 guy.

So, yay!

I respect your posts almost every time, but this is ludicrous.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
Larsson sounds high as **** in that interview he did with Stauffer. Either that or drunk. Which I don;t blame him.

Enjoy the pressure.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
According to Lowetide:

cap hit of $4.166 million and is signed through 2021.
5×5 points per 60: 0.53
5×4 points per 60: nil
Qual Comp: Top opposition
Qual Team: Top support
Corsi for 5×5 %: 44.9
Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -3.5
Shots on goal/percentage: 65 shots/4.6 percent
Boxcars: 82GP, 3-15-18

Contrast with Mark Fayne last year:

Boxcars: 74GP, 2-6-8
5×5 points per 60: 0.36 (5th among regular D)
5×4 points per 60: nil (in two minutes)
Corsi for 5×5 %: 49.1
Qual Comp: toughest among regular D
Qual Team: 4th best available among regular D
Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -1.2
Shots on goal/percentage: 61 shots/3.3%
Boxcars: 69GP, 2-5-7

Fayne is a better player than Larsson.

Larsson had one of the worst zone starts in the league.

Still a horrific trade though.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I want to be on the record that I like this deal, and I think it will work out. I also think Klefbom-Larsson will break out as a legit top-pairing.

I've yet to be wrong about a Dman on this team.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

NHL forwards, 2012-16, min 1,000 minutes, ranked by 5v5 PTS/60:
1. Sidney Crosby: 2.71
2. Jamie Benn: 2.54
3. Taylor Hall: 2.49

This is neither potential nor an advanced stat.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I respect your posts almost every time, but this is ludicrous.

He wasn't in November of 2014. Then he got paired with Andy Greene, and has the same results every partner of Andy Greene has had for 7 years. Is Mark Fayne a top-4 defenseman?

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Adam Larsson deserves more credit. But there's at least a chance he doesn't.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
I KNEW the magician was Adam Larsson!

Consensus on Larsson from NJ Devils fans:
- He is elite defensively. +15 on one of the worst teams last year.
- Still has untapped offensive potential. Didn't play on the PP last year. A quick look at his highlights confirms that when he does score, it looks really good. He just needs more chances.
- He plays a steady mistake free 23 minutes a night.
- Well liked as a person.
- He's signed LONG TERM to a Good Contract. This has value!

He had a huge draft pedigree:

"“He’s much better now than Lidstrom was at the same age,†Tommy Boustedt, the Swedish hockey federation’s national director of development, said in a phone interview from Sweden. “If he hadn’t played for our under-18 team in April he would have played on our men’s national team in May, he’s that good.

“I think he will be, in the end, one of the best defenders our country has ever produced.â€

“Great tournament,†one scout said of Larsson’s WJC, which was all the more impressive because he was battling through a groin injury. “He stepped up and made himself a factor. He was moving his feet more, just a lot more involved than we had seen him. From the blueline in, he’s a lot more dangerous offensively than (Victor) Hedman at the same age.â€

One European NHL scout from a Western Conference team told NHL.com that Larsson might be ahead of where Victor Hedman was at the midway point of his draft year two years ago. Hedman was chosen by the Tampa Bay Lightning with the No. 2 pick in 2009.

“Hedman was allowed to do more with his home team in Sweden, so they let him be more active with the puck and try different things,†the scout said. “I think Adam Larsson plays a safer game. I certainly think he has the same potential as Hedman. He’s every bit as good with the puck and he might be a touch tougher. Hedman is a little bigger, but they’re both unbelievably good skaters. I think I would take Larsson over Hedman if I could, based on what I’ve seen the last three years.â€

"Strengths:
Size – great frame
Superior hockey sense
Smooth skater
Accurate point shot
Defensive acumen
Outstanding outlet passer
Positioning and recoverability
Puck-handling"

This. He's elite defensively and got pretty much no offensive zone starts or powerplay time. We need this type of player more than we need Hall, even if I think we should've got some side assets, I have no problem with him being the centrepiece of a Hall trade.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
NHL forwards, 2012-16, min 1,000 minutes, ranked by 5v5 PTS/60:
1. Sidney Crosby: 2.71
2. Jamie Benn: 2.54
3. Taylor Hall: 2.49

This is neither potential nor an advanced stat.

that stat is definitely obscure, and represents something we can replace. Every one of the "core" players of this team has some neat stat that says they're the best.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
that stat is definitely obscure, and represents something we can replace. Every one of the "core" players of this team has some neat stat that says they're the best.

That stat is not obscure.

That's how many points he scores at even strength per minute he plays. That's the least obscure advanced stat in existence.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Mediocre defenseman until he got paired with Andy Greene - who has made every D-partner he's played with over the last decade look better than they actually are. Deeply possible he's not a legitimate top-4 guy.

So, yay!
Exactly how I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad