Player Discussion: Adam Pelech

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I try not to take anything they say too seriously...

how many times have they drafted the next future Veznia winner now? seems like every year they are touting some young stud who then proceeds to fail in spectacular fashion

I remember years ago when they were touting Gostisbehere. Now they just paid hand over fist of draft picks to get rid of him

Reactions: danteipp and MJF

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
A long-term deal for Pelech should absolutely be in play here - although, he may prefer a bridge deal expecting the cap to go up? On the other hand, he has suffered a few injuries in the past and may be seeking stability with a 7 or 8 year deal.

Those tossing out anything less than 6m per regardless are way off base IMHO.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
A long-term deal for Pelech should absolutely be in play here - although, he may prefer a bridge deal expecting the cap to go up? On the other hand, he has suffered a few injuries in the past and may be seeking stability with a 7 or 8 year deal.

Those tossing out anything less than 6m per regardless are way off base IMHO.
I don't think he provides enough offense to warrant 6M.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
I'm thinking Pelech signs here for something like 8 yrs, $5-5.5M/yr.
I think that IF you went 8 years you offer less then 5.5 per
I would think deal like this
3 Year 5M maybe 5.5
5 Years P per

Reactions: MJF

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
All depends on the term. Short deal and he'll get no more than $5M, a longer deal he might get a bit more I'd guess.
I go the other way. longer deals should 100% cost the team les per season. the shorter deal i think we should offer more

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I go the other way. longer deals should 100% cost the team les per season. the shorter deal i think we should offer more

It's based off of age. When you buy UFA years you're taking away the ability for players to make more money so it costs you more if the player is good. Pelech is good, the price goes up then. For UFAs the AAV gets lower you go because of their age and the need to keep the cap hit reasonable in the early portion of the deal.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Who had the bloom come off their rose faster, Ghost or Nolan Patrick?

I feel bad for Patrick, because the injuries were beyond his control and it sounds like the doctors either couldn't figure it out (best case) or made some mistakes in his prognosis, recovery time, etc.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
I don't think he provides enough offense to warrant 6M.

Wishful thinking, I hope everyone who posted above is right -However, I really don't think point production is being considered much for a player who Pelech who dominates defensively like he does. His value to this team's success is well known to Islanders mgmt, Pelech and of course, his agent.

+ in 2015 (!) - Boychuk got 7 years at 6M per, salary cup considerations have only really increased value over that time.

Something like this seems more realistic.
2 years - 6M
4 years- 6.5M
6 years- 7M
8 years - 7.5M

Re-upping Pulock on a similar (if not identical) deal structure could definitely be at play here as he is UFA next summer

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Wishful thinking, I hope everyone who posted above is right -However, I really don't think point production is being considered much for a player who Pelech who dominates defensively like he does. His value to this team's success is well known to Islanders mgmt, Pelech and of course, his agent.

+ in 2015 (!) - Boychuk got 7 years at 6M per, salary cup considerations have only really increased value over that time.

Something like this seems more realistic.
2 years - 6M
4 years- 6.5M
6 years- 7M
8 years - 7.5M

Re-upping Pulock on a similar (if not identical) deal structure could definitely be at play here as he is UFA next summer
Boychuk was a UFA deal and he put up 35 points

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm actually okay with 7 years. Pelly is 26 years old, he will be 33-34 when that deal is over. He's got a lot of good years left, and to me should retire an Islander. I actually think he is the Isles most valuable D man. Given a choice I would lock him up longer than Pulock who I love also. But to me, you can put Dobson with Pelly one day, and they wouldn't miss a beat. He's the Tare(look that up True Ramen fans) of the Isles D core.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm actually okay with 7 years. Pelly is 26 years old, he will be 33-34 when that deal is over. He's got a lot of good years left, and to me should retire an Islander. I actually think he is the Isles most valuable D man. Given a choice I would lock him up longer than Pulock who I love also. But to me, you can put Dobson with Pelly one day, and they wouldn't miss a beat. He's the Tare(look that up True Ramen fans) of the Isles D core.

7 years is fine, but not at $7M per.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
7 years is fine, but not at $7M per.
The high I would go with him is 5 x 8 years. 5.5 for 6 years. Pelech doesn't have the offensive stats to support 7M. I have to wonder if Staple is right here? Or is the Agent being an agent if that is where he heard this from. Lou would never leak any negotiations we know this.

Reactions: buud

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
The high I would go with him is 5 x 8 years. 5.5 for 6 years. Pelech doesn't have the offensive stats to support 7M. I have to wonder if Staple is right here? Or is the Agent being an agent if that is where he heard this from. Lou would never leak any negotiations we know this.

I don't think anyone should be surprised that Pelech is asking for his market value.

The game has changed in a bit over the last 5 years and while offensive defensive are still valued high, true shutdown top pairing defensemen are harder come by. Pelly is 26 years old and has proved year after year, there is no match up in the NHL too big for him. We are talking about elite gap control, elite stick work, logs big minutes and knows the Isles current system to the finest details. Also worth calling out, every single year longer than 1, easts into UFA years -that costs $$$

If the Islanders don't think that's worth it, fine. Sign him to a 1 yr 5.5M deal and let him test FA. Would love to hear alternatives and where his replacement would come from.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Boychuk was a UFA deal and he put up 35 points

Pelech is 26 and an established shut down defensemen in the prime of his career, I'm not sure I see the comp. If Pelech signs a deal longer than 1 year, then it's basically a UFA deal anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad