Player Discussion: Adam Pelech

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Looks like a real NHL defenseman. Love it. He skates well for his size too. He's also pretty smart back there and makes simple plays and chips the puck out of the danger zone while remaining calm.

It also doesn't hurt that he's 6'3

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Makes the Reinhart trade even better. Pelech actually goes across the opposing blueline.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
This guy needs to be Hickeys replacement as soon as everyone is healthy again.

That's a bit premature. A lot of defenseman shine early on and then hit a road block. I think Pelech can definitely challenge for a full time spot next year though.

If only he was right handed, I'd feel a lot better about Hamonic's trade request. He's smarter, thicker, and more well rounded/mature than Mayfield in my opinion.

Both are young though.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Let it play out but yeah, ideally he'd be Hickey's replacement. Hickey isn't special other than a smart defensive dman. Pelech can be the same thing but twice the size. Let him earn it and then sell Hickey.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Let it play out but yeah, ideally he'd be Hickey's replacement. Hickey isn't special other than a smart defensive dman. Pelech can be the same thing but twice the size. Let him earn it and then sell Hickey.

If Hickey is relegated to the #7 next year, it would mean that our LD would be in good shape. Pelech brings some size and brawn to that side while Leddy and CdH are PMD's.

BroadwayJay*

That's a bit premature. A lot of defenseman shine early on and then hit a road block. I think Pelech can definitely challenge for a full time spot next year though.

If only he was right handed, I'd feel a lot better about Hamonic's trade request. He's smarter, thicker, and more well rounded/mature than Mayfield in my opinion.

Both are young though.

He needs to score a bit to be a mainstay but he is certainly already superior to strait

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Hate to be that guy.

So advanced stats...

This is why I respect them and also don't throw all my eggs in a basket. Lately I've been checking them out as it's a stat/tool worth tracking. I like all my stats so I add this to the list. Pelech was a 36%CF 5v5 tonight vs the Rags.

Yet, in Cappy terms, he won a lot of battles. Here we are and it's overwhelming in support and yet how is that if he's so low in Corsi? Not a bash as I'm admitting the usefulness in knowing but also recognizing that it can be skewed for linemates and that eye test is key when not everything can be seen on a chart.

I'd hate for his performance to be based on that stat as he had a terrific game, forced a lot to the outside and cleared the front of the crease.

If Hickey is relegated to the #7 next year, it would mean that our LD would be in good shape. Pelech brings some size and brawn to that side while Leddy and CdH are PMD's.

Agreed completely, you need a new element thrown in there, and Pelech brings size. Leddy skating and CDH balance.

Will have for the rest of the season, please and thank you.

Also..

Glad Thompson recommended this guy. We groaned for Pulock at first but as the dust settles this kid can play.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He needs to score a bit to be a mainstay but he is certainly already superior to strait

His junior numbers indicate that he has some offensive potential (remember he has been used in a shutdown role in Bridgeport).

Right now, I'm just happy he's not afraid to carry the puck and jump into the play in the offensive zone. If he does that, points should eventually with ice time.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Hate to be that guy.

So advanced stats...

This is why I respect them and also don't throw all my eggs in a basket. Lately I've been checking them out as it's a stat/tool worth tracking. I like all my stats so I add this to the list. Pelech was a 36%CF 5v5 tonight vs the Rags.

Yet, in Cappy terms, he won a lot of battles. Here we are and it's overwhelming in support and yet how is that if he's so low in Corsi? Not a bash as I'm admitting the usefulness in knowing but also recognizing that it can be skewed for linemates and that eye test is key when not everything can be seen on a chart.

I'd hate for his performance to be based on that stat as he had a terrific game, forced a lot to the outside and cleared the front of the crease.

Wow it was really that low? Paging Jay: you have some 'splainin to do.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm a fan early on here. He's not shy when it comes to the physical play. I saw a few times tonight where a Rag player tried to drop him when he was making the outlet pass...he barely moved. Did a nice job boxing out the gigantic reach of Nash as well.

I don't know that he's better than Hickey yet, but he could be. Don't mind him getting games and I really don't want him to sit for Strait ever.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Well he played with Strait, Kev.

King_Korsi37 doesn't allow many of his partners to record 50+%CF too often.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Hate to be that guy.

So advanced stats...

Agreed completely, you need a new element thrown in there, and Pelech brings size. Leddy skating and CDH balance.

Will have for the rest of the season, please and thank you.

Also..

Glad Thompson recommended this guy. We groaned for Pulock at first but as the dust settles this kid can play.

Watching the game, the kid did a good job. Good positioning etc. His 36% doesn't really mean anything. Taking an individual game corsi, doesn't really say anything about the player. There are obviously certain events affecting corsi that are out of the control of the player, and in the small sample size of 1 game those events could dictate whether or not his corsi is 53 or 40. Over a large enough sample size, those random events become less important. If a team is better while that player is on the ice, that trend will show itself in the data collected from a decent sample.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Wow it was really that low? Paging Jay: you have some 'splainin to do.
Yep, got told about this site from a great Isles fan.

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20152016&game=20646

Has the stats from todays game but also season.
I'm a fan early on here. He's not shy when it comes to the physical play. I saw a few times tonight where a Rag player tried to drop him when he was making the outlet pass...he barely moved. Did a nice job boxing out the gigantic reach of Nash as well.

I don't know that he's better than Hickey yet, but he could be. Don't mind him getting games and I really don't want him to sit for Strait ever.
I love the physicality from the left side, desperately needed.
Well he played with Strait, Kev.

King_Korsi37 doesn't allow many of his partners to record 50+%CF too often.
He did.. but that shows it's sometimes misconstrued. Pelech played a great game, did what he had to and that's it. Just because JT's line for example had trouble clearing shouldn't be held against the job the Pelech-Strait pairing did of holding guys outside the crease, limiting shots and passes. And yes, throwing Strait a bone there.
Watching the game, the kid did a good job. Good positioning etc. His 36% doesn't really mean anything. Taking an individual game corsi, doesn't really say anything about the player. There are obviously certain events affecting corsi that are out of the control of the player, and in the small sample size of 1 game those events could dictate whether or not his corsi is 53 or 40. Over a large enough sample size, those random events become less important. If a team is better while that player is on the ice, that trend will show itself in the data collected from a decent sample.
Agreed.

Just wanted to show, despite the small sample size that we can agree a guy can play well without pointing to that one stat as a prove all end all ordeal. Just like a player can have an excellent game without a goal, a player can have an excellent game with a bad corsi. Stat is a stat.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Do not forget to click on 'EV', Kevin. Pelech was actually 44.83% at even strength. Pretty standard for people playing with Strait. His overall numbers are obviously skewed by the fact that he was killing penalties.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Do not forget to click on 'EV', Kevin. Pelech was actually 44.83% at even strength. Pretty standard for people playing with Strait. His overall numbers are obviously skewed by the fact that he was killing penalties.

Good call, still don't need over 50% to be considered to have a good game though!

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Just wanted to show, despite the small sample size that we can agree a guy can play well without pointing to that one stat as a prove all end all ordeal. Just like a player can have an excellent game without a goal, a player can have an excellent game with a bad corsi. Stat is a stat.

He was out there with Strait. Basically, his role was to go out there and absorb damage until the next pairing could come on. He did that.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Hickey gets bashed on here still, some things never change.

I love what Pelech brings to the table thus far but it's only been a sample. Do not get to far a head of yourselves, especially with both Boychuk & Hamonic(who will eventually be traded at some point) still out.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
somebody mentioned it in the game thread and I took note of it in the replay - a great pinch by Pelech. Not what you'd expect from a stay at home Dman. He might not get an assist on Brock's goal but he's the one who applied pressure and forced the turnover.

I don't know Corsi from Farsi but I thought he looked pretty decent out there tonight. Definitely looked like he belonged.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
somebody mentioned it in the game thread and I took note of it in the replay - a great pinch by Pelech. Not what you'd expect from a stay at home Dman. He might not get an assist on Brock's goal but he's the one who applied pressure and forced the turnover.

I don't know Corsi from Farsi but I thought he looked pretty decent out there tonight. Definitely looked like he belonged.

Pelech was credited with an assist for that play, so he recorded his first NHL point against the Rags. Good omen.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
He's been Reinhart minus all the awfulness :laugh:

People said Pelech was a Hamonic lite when we drafted him. He looks pretty good so far.

I have no grudge against Reinhart unlike Nina, so I hope he finds his game at some point.

BroadwayJay*

Yep, got told about this site from a great Isles fan.

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20152016&game=20646

Has the stats from todays game but also season.

I love the physicality from the left side, desperately needed.

He did.. but that shows it's sometimes misconstrued. Pelech played a great game, did what he had to and that's it. Just because JT's line for example had trouble clearing shouldn't be held against the job the Pelech-Strait pairing did of holding guys outside the crease, limiting shots and passes. And yes, throwing Strait a bone there.

Agreed.

Quick and dirty.

(1) [self-edit]

(2) use the even strength numbers, that's the relevant figure

(3) one game's CF is basically worthless. It takes 10 games minimum to have a sample worth looking at.

(4) individual cf is really useless on its own unless you are using it to compare teammates.

(5) it is Corsi relative that is the more useful stat.

(6) even more useful is to see the impact a player has on his line mates, in this case his partner was strait and he was better than strait. That's good

(7) if you want help understanding how we use the stat, just ask. No one who uses it ever said it was the be all end all, that's a straw man that gets thrown at us by the people who hate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad