Player Discussion: Adam Pelech

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'm on the fence when it comes to a sports team releasing a players private medical conditions.

A broken foot or hand I think is ok but as much as I want to know everything sometimes these guys deserve privacy.

In a case where it's a serious non sports related injury like this or Matt Harvey's bladder, I'm ok with not knowing.

When his health was in limbo....absolutely. There's no need for disclosure when he's in the midst of a scary situation. But the guy has been skating for a month - presumably he was cleared a long time ago. They released it yesterday - its not like it was a state secret that was never going to come out. Its not like he had gonorrhea - he had a medical issue that many athletes had. Once he's out of the woods, I'm not sure what the issue was/is.

I understand your overarching point as to players' health in general, but the fact is that in every other situation in sports, this condition is reported. The Islanders seem to be the only organization that would keep it secret. And its not because of a concern for their player (I can sympathize with that at least), its simply because their default position is to be as secretive as possible, much more so than the average team.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If DeHaan is out for anything longer than a game or two, I'd bring up Pelech to the big club. Might as well shake off the rust up here and get ready for the playoffs.

Although I thought he played on Sunday with BP but I checked the box scores and it doesn't seem like he did.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
This kid is VERY sound defensively. Kept on eye on him every shift last night and he had a very good game. Positionally sound, more physical then you would think. Someone made the comparison of Ken Morrow and I agree.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
He looks better than both Hickey and Seidenburg. Weight's first test as coach, IMO, is whether he keeps this kid in the lineup or gives inferior players entitlement minutes.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He looks better than both Hickey and Seidenburg. Weight's first test as coach, IMO, is whether he keeps this kid in the lineup or gives inferior players entitlement minutes.

The rest test in my opinion is whether he keeps Pelech with Leddy.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
This kid is VERY sound defensively. Kept on eye on him every shift last night and he had a very good game. Positionally sound, more physical then you would think. Someone made the comparison of Ken Morrow and I agree.

agree on all parts. He was very strong yesterday and don't notice him (in a good way) - not flashy but steady, reliable, deceptively good skater (not silky smooth), gets to where he needs to get.

Really like him.

Kenny Morrow was highly underrated on the best NHL team of all-time, definitely a stretch comparison but style-wise, I also see similarities.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
agree on all parts. He was very strong yesterday and don't notice him (in a good way) - not flashy but steady, reliable, deceptively good skater (not silky smooth), gets to where he needs to get.

Really like him.

Kenny Morrow was highly underrated on the best NHL team of all-time, definitely a stretch comparison but style-wise, I also see similarities.

Agree, that is it exactly. I have compared him to Karl Alzner of the Caps.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Feel like he’s really turning it around.

Starting to play with some real confidence out there.

Hopefully he continues to develop

Reactions: Poster Unknown

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I love when he steps up at the blueline to cut off a breakout. Something this blueline sorely needs.

That’s coaching.

Reactions: MartyC

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
That was pretty awesome, but probably not as good a play as at least 3 or 4 heady positioning / stick plays he made last night. Dude can just straight up defend like a demon. So good in his own zone. Must sign.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

That's similar to a move you see kids do when they're 8 years old, just banking it off the wall and skating by, but with a little more flair. It's so simple, but so effective. Love his confidence.

Reactions: SI90

crasherino

May 9, 2013

That is a slick play for sure but you better be confident that you can pull it off because if you f*** it up, its big time. Pelech almost always makes the smart, safe play so no one would ever expect a play like that - which is why he's prolly so confident he can pull it off.

Regardless, awesome little move. Reading through this thread, its so great to see how Pelech has grown and become the player he is. I remember that day game against San Jose where he had an empty net to shoot at and instead panicked and passed the puck. Seemed like he was still jumpy and the game hadn't slowed down for him yet. Contrast that with the move he pulled last night and his game in general? He's grown leaps and bounds.

Reactions: bigtim1988 and SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad