Confirmed with Link: Adam Oates and Scott Stevens will both coach Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
It's absolutely hilarious how much better we perform (maybe not a game by game basis) compared to we did with Pete. Throwing out the Rangers game, the last 20 games.

Coaching Trio

Competition: 245-159-60
Devils over span: 5-4-1
Devils against playoff teams: 2-4-1
Devils against non-playoff teams: 3-0

Pete
Competition: 228-177-58
Devils over span: 2-5-3
Devils against playoff teams: 1-2-2
Devils against non playoff teams: 1-3-1

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's absolutely hilarious how much better we perform (maybe not a game by game basis) compared to we did with Pete. Throwing out the Rangers game, the last 20 games.

Coaching Trio

Pete
The Kings were actually in a playoff spot on the night of our game with them, though they aren't anymore. We've beaten 3 playoff teams. Penguins, Kings, Shsrks.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Coaching Trio

Pete

Sort of cherry picking here. It's comparing new coaches to a very small sample size of Pete's run here.

Win-loss record can't really be compared right now.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It seems like this team is more up and down lately. They had the good win against Pittsburgh, then didn't do much against Detroit and Montreal. They somehow scored 5 goals on 18 shots against Philly and beat a terrible Buffalo team. Then another horrible game against Boston. OT loss to the Isles. 5 goals on 20 shots against the Kings. Dominated by the Ducks. Then the win against the Sharks. I don't know how much is us really playing better. I think we're just playing differently.

DevilSlovenia

Jul 1, 2014

Coaching Trio

Pete

Get over PDB already. Even if he wouldn't coach this season this team would be no better. Over three and a half season he did much better with the players he had than he should. This is a bad team and only because of mentallity of the club they aren't bottom team. And I'm sure DeBoer will have some success in this league in the future.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Get over PDB already. Even if he wouldn't coach this season this team would be no better. Over three and a half season he did much better with the players he had than he should. This is a bad team and only because of mentallity of the club they aren't bottom team. And I'm sure DeBoer will have some success in this league in the future.

I don't get why people think we should be over DeBoer already. He's been the center of debate for 2 years. The calls for his job were loud and persistant. Conversely many said he was not the issue, that he was actually a "great coach" with a "great system" and was not getting fired. There were pages and pages of fierce argument. Now less then a month after getting canned we should forget that Deboer ever happened? We shouldn't look at the play of the team, the wins and losses, the handling of players during his regime and after? We shouldn't compare those results? See if we can get a better understanding of where this organization is and where it was?

I think in being big fans of this team, or any sport team, the historical perspective is a large part of the deal. So why should we ignore a significant era in the teams history? A very recent history no less.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We shouldn't ignore it. But we shouldn't harp on it either. It hasn't even been 20 games since he's been gone and suddenly there's "proof" of how much better we are without him. Never mind the fact we still can't create much offense and give up too many shots. Don't let a couple of lucky games where we scored 5 goals fool you. In the Flyers and Kings games we scored a combined 10 goals on 38 shots. That seems pretty flukey to me. Which isn't to say we haven't had good games. The wins against Pittsburgh and San Jose were impressive. But I think it's still too early to say how much of an impact Hydra is having.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
So, who's our head coach next season? If we do a Lemaire style turnaround here, do we continue with the dual coach system?

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think this Steves/Oates thing was more or less Lou not wanting to make a significant coaching addition until Babcock's made his decision. Seems to be that way for a lot of teams right now. San Jose, Toronto, Edmonton, Ottawa are all without a definite coaching solution next season.

In the meantime, I think Lou wanted to give Stevens a shot, but didn't think he was ready to be a full-on NHL coach right away. So he brought back Oates, because Oates was probably more than willing to sign on for just a chunk of one season. Guys like Boucher, Bylsma, and Maclean would probably be looking for more stability, and I don't think any of them are gonna be hired until everyone knows what Babcock's doing anyway.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't get why people think we should be over DeBoer already. He's been the center of debate for 2 years. The calls for his job were loud and persistant. Conversely many said he was not the issue, that he was actually a "great coach" with a "great system" and was not getting fired. There were pages and pages of fierce argument. Now less then a month after getting canned we should forget that Deboer ever happened? We shouldn't look at the play of the team, the wins and losses, the handling of players during his regime and after? We shouldn't compare those results? See if we can get a better understanding of where this organization is and where it was?

I think in being big fans of this team, or any sport team, the historical perspective is a large part of the deal. So why should we ignore a significant era in the teams history? A very recent history no less.

Always hated Pete's system, Sutter's too...Same thing really

That said the problems of this team for the last 3 years had little to do with Pete.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Devils played pretty poorly last night and were bailed out by Schneider. Still not seeing any reason to be hopeful that our team has actually turned around.

I don't care if we don't win another game this year as long as D and Cory improve look good.

The forward group needs a bunch of help that Lou or any GM won't be able to fix for another 2-3 years. Doesn't mean we can't compete for the playoffs, but I don't think we will be contenders until we significantly upgrade upgrade our top 6.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
BUMP.

Oates officially lost me after tonight.

Tootoo on a PP when we're LOSING? This isn't the first time it's happened.

14 shots on goal against THE WORST defense and team in the entire national hockey league?

He can't be here next year, at least not as the head coach.

I said DeBoer needed to go, but needed to be replaced with a real coach. Oates is more like a HOF version of DeBoer.

Oates is DeBoer with a friendly face, if you will.

This right handed shot nonsense is also another Oates move. It reeks of his philosophy.

Keep Stevens, sack Oates. Or Lou could go with him too.

P.S. T-Mac is NOT a real head coach either. I'd rather Torts than either he or Oates, and Torts is finished as an NHL head coach.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Now I do think the shots we get (the very few) are MUCH better than what we got under the DeBoer system, but we still aren't getting enough.

I maintain the DeBoer system was a crock of **** and useless, that's why our shooting percentage was so weak under him.

We get better chances since he's gone, but we still don't get enough of them.

AusDev

Jan 13, 2015
BUMP.

Oates officially lost me after tonight.

Tootoo on a PP when we're LOSING? This isn't the first time it's happened.

14 shots on goal against THE WORST defense and team in the entire national hockey league?

He can't be here next year, at least not as the head coach.

I said DeBoer needed to go, but needed to be replaced with a real coach. Oates is more like a HOF version of DeBoer.

Oates is DeBoer with a friendly face, if you will.

This right handed shot nonsense is also another Oates move. It reeks of his philosophy.

Keep Stevens, sack Oates. Or Lou could go with him too.

P.S. T-Mac is NOT a real head coach either. I'd rather Torts than either he or Oates, and Torts is finished as an NHL head coach.

So many of his decisions are frustrating beyond belief. The right/left issue of his seems to be at the root of a lot of them. My head just dropped when I saw Tootoo back on the powerplay tonight (the starting PP unit, no less). When did a players handedness become more important than talent?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So many of his decisions are frustrating beyond belief. The right/left issue of his seems to be at the root of a lot of them. My head just dropped when I saw Tootoo back on the powerplay tonight (the starting PP unit, no less). When did a players handedness become more important than talent?

One of my earliest criticisms of DeBoer, even before I started to believe he was a BAD head coach, was him being anal on righty's on right wing/lefty's on left wing.

This was actually adopted by him from Oates. Oates was the original guy to switch Kovalchuk and he did it to Ovechkin in Washington too.

And wanting a righty shot on the right side, so Harrold plays over Gelinas? Harrold blows ass.

I'll take Stevens back, though not fond of him as a head coach either. Oates needs to go. He's behind the low shot total madness too. His system doesn't really emphasize more shots.

Now I NEVER liked the DeBoer system and still maintain we're producing more quality chances despite the lower shot quantity. That's why the shooting percentage has been higher and that's why it was pathetically low in the last 3 years under DeBoer.

The low shots for is alright when you've got 2 or 3 goals already after 10-15 shots. It's not good enough when all you've got is one goal though.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
The Kings were actually in a playoff spot on the night of our game with them, though they aren't anymore. We've beaten 3 playoff teams. Penguins, Kings, Shsrks.

I want to tear my hair out. We lose the Oilers at home but beat those 3 playoff teams. If we had just laid eggs against them the way we were supposed to we'd be tied w Carolina for. #3.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I want to tear my hair out. We lose the Oilers at home but beat those 3 playoff teams. If we had just laid eggs against them the way we were supposed to we'd be tied w Carolina for. #3.

This was the first game we've lost to against a non playoff team since DeBoer has been fired. It was bound to happen.

It was an absolutely disgusting loss though. Might have been the worst effort of the season. This or the game against Carolina before DeBoer got fired.

Even Lou looked pissed after this game. Changes need to be made. Get that pile of bone dust Zubrus out of there, put Ryder back in. Get Gelly back in for one of the two roaches on defense too.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It looked like they quit on the game after the late first period goal. Doesn't say much for the new staff if they're already piling up the no-show performances at a quicker rate than at any time under Pete except December.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
It looked like they quit on the game after the late first period goal. Doesn't say much for the new staff if they're already piling up the no-show performances at a quicker rate than at any time under Pete except December.

I think Pete was part of the problem with the Devils, so I'm not sad he's gone, but I'm not sold on the new coaching staff as providing much of a solution in the sense that I don't really want Oates back but I would be okay with Stevens remaining on as assistant coach with the defense since I think he's done pretty well with that. We need another head coach brought in during the off-season who can hopefully infuse a bit more resiliency and work effort into this sad sack squad.

That being said, I definitely place a fair share of blame on the team and individual players for showing up to games in body but not spirit or folding up like cheap chairs at the first sign of adversity. It's pathetic to watch grown man shrivel up like slugs sprinkled with salt. None of these problems are just on the coaches whether Pete or the new coaching hydra. The players need to shoulder considerable responsibility. That's the main thing when the franchise is doing a nose-dive like this: almost everyone is at fault to a degree.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still maintain DeBoer sucked as a head coach and I'll stand my ground on that. I don't see him ever being a successful NHL head coach, 2012 was his peak IMO.

And it's a wonder we actually had that streak during a stretch where we didn't even have a REAL national hockey league head coach behind the bench at all. Shows me Pete sucked all the more.

This Tootoo on the power play thing is a joke though. That is easily dumber than any of the dumb **** DeBoer pulled.

Even he wouldn't have used him this many times if it wasn't working. Oates is incredibly slow at adjusting. Just look at how long it took for changes after we gave up a zillion shorthanded goals in 11-12. I wanted Oates gone at the time and you can search my posts on here. I was calling for his head back in January of 2012.

I also predicted he would flop majorly in Washington. It was actually one of the easiest things to see for me. It was easy to see he would be a terrible head coach. He's not much of an assistant coach either.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Pete was part of the problem with the Devils, so I'm not sad he's gone, but I'm not sold on the new coaching staff as providing much of a solution in the sense that I don't really want Oates back but I would be okay with Stevens remaining on as assistant coach with the defense since I think he's done pretty well with that. We need another head coach brought in during the off-season who can hopefully infuse a bit more resiliency and work effort into this sad sack squad.

That being said, I definitely place a fair share of blame on the team and individual players for showing up to games in body but not spirit or folding up like cheap chairs at the first sign of adversity. It's pathetic to watch grown man shrivel up like slugs sprinkled with salt. None of these problems are just on the coaches whether Pete or the new coaching hydra. The players need to shoulder considerable responsibility. That's the main thing when the franchise is doing a nose-dive like this: almost everyone is at fault to a degree.

No T-Mac please. I have it on good word that he's gone from San Jose after this year, barring a huge playoff run and possibly even anything less than a Stanley Cup win or appearance.

Turn on Sharks vs Flames right now if you wanna see a continuation of Devils vs Oilers. The Flames had over 60 seconds of possession time on a delayed penalty a couple minutes ago. It was pathetic.

They also gave up 5 to the POS Hurricanes the other night and ALWAYS lose to terrible teams. They're the only team that those superstars from Edmonton actually beat twice this year.

T-Mac does NOT get the most out of his players. He deserves much of the criticism for their woes over the years. Let Toronto pick him or Detroit might want him back if Babcock signs somewhere else. He was an assistant there under Babcock.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The sad part is the Devils have actually found a way to make a bad situation worse. They fired Pete sure but they bring back his evil twin skippy (Oates), and then on top of that fired the one coach who WAS doing well (Barr). Pete overplaying Harrold or Gionta is nothing like this staff overplaying Fraser. At least Harrold/Gionta can be IN an NHL lineup. Fraser'll be in the AHL after this season unless Lou's completely going to troll us all.

I actually could see them bringing in McClellan lol, or some other retread that'll just be a company man for Lou.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The sad part is the Devils have actually found a way to make a bad situation worse. They fired Pete sure but they bring back his evil twin skippy (Oates), and then on top of that fired the one coach who WAS doing well (Barr). Pete overplaying Harrold or Gionta is nothing like this staff overplaying Fraser. At least Harrold/Gionta can be IN an NHL lineup. Fraser'll be in the AHL after this season unless Lou's completely going to troll us all.

I actually could see them bringing in McClellan lol, or some other retread that'll just be a company man for Lou.

Devils bring in McLellan, Sharks bring in DeBoer, refer to the emoji in my avatar for what my face will look like.

The Fraser obsession is terrible. I remember doing cartwheels after we traded both Fraser and Pelley. We got rid of two deadweight players that didn't belong in the NHL. Anaheim never even dressed Fraser for an NHL game of theirs.

Then we wind up re acquiring both of those roaches just a couple years later. Only one is actually full time riding the buses where he belongs, the other is up here where he has no business being.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Sadly the Sharks'd probably get the better of that tradeoff. Pete's the happiest guy in Jersey right now, his job stock is going back up with this team's dreadful performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad