Confirmed with Link: Adam Oates and Scott Stevens will both coach Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Could it be, and I'm just spitballing here, Pete wasn't really the problem?

Im with you. There is simply not enough to support that Deboer hurt this team. Larsson is the one guy that is benefitting from the change. Other than that, Deboer really can't be held accountable.

Some here are isolating a few years from each coaches tenure and suggesting that one coach is better than the other. Let's use Trotz, Laviolette and Oats as examples. Trotz was fired from Nashville after missing the playoffs 2 years in a row. Laviolette replaces Trotz and the team is in first. Oats coaches the Caps 1 year and is fired after missing the playoffs. Trotz comes in and the team is looking like a solid playoff team. Is Laviolette the best coach because he had success with Trotz's former team? I don't see it. Comparing coaches who've coached the same team is hard enough. Comparing coaches on different teams is impossible. Point being, bringing up the years Deboer missed the playoffs, with rosters that shouldn't make the playoffs, does not support that he is a below average coach.

This is not a good hockey team at this point in time. Their biggest strength Is their young defensemen moving forward. But at this current time, these young defensemen are not carrying the team. It's actually quite the opposite. They are going through normal growing pains, which should be expected. Add that on top of an offense that needs A 42 year old Jagr and a 38 year old Elias to score consistently, and you have a team that shouldn't be sniffing the playoffs.

Why the coaches are even being considered is beyond me. We have to be patient, and hope that Lou and the Scouts make the right decisions the next few years.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Pete was a major part of the problem.

Yet everything suggests the opposite. Was it the multiple coaches fault in Toronto? Let's think for a minute, what hasn't changed over there? Is it maybe their roster? Those coaches in Toronto have it better too. They didn't Lose Parise and Kovy in consecutive years. They also aren't bringing in a new core of young D-men. Our roster is a much bigger mess, yet they seem to always be a bit worse.

The only time you won't blame the coach, is if the team was winning, let's be honest.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Pete was part of the problem, not the only part of the problem, and he wasn't going to be part of the solution. We can't be much worse off without him than we were with him, so I don't miss him a bit. Even the improvement of Larsson was worth kicking him to the curb in my opinion.

This team still needs a good permanent head coach who definitely isn't Oates (and hopefully isn't Stevens either), an upgraded roster with some more forwards who actually have some semblance of offensive skills, and more youth at the forward position. It's assets are Cory and the young defense, who can sometimes have off games due to relative inexperience. Ideally, we would get a coach who could capitalize on those strengths and develop our young defensemen well. That's what I would most hope for at this point.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
He was absolutely a problem. The Devils weren't even a strong possession team this year. They were crap from day 1.

The real problem is that Lou hired someone even worse.

How can they have possession when they can barely enter the zone? The problem is that the team is too slow to forecheck. They can't get pressure on the defense when it's chipped in because they can never even make it a race for the puck let alone beat the defense to it. That's a problem with a roster. Deboer was given chicken **** and told to make chicken salad.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm sorry, nothing will convince me that Deboer is a good NHL coach. I don't wanna hear the roster complaints. he missed the playoffs in 6 of 7 years. "good" NHL coaches don't ever have streaks like that.

of course Pete is not 100% the problem, but he was certainly a large part of it.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Pete was part of the problem, not the only part of the problem, and he wasn't going to be part of the solution. We can't be much worse off without him than we were with him, so I don't miss him a bit. Even the improvement of Larsson was worth kicking him to the curb in my opinion.

This team still needs a good permanent head coach who definitely isn't Oates (and hopefully isn't Stevens either), an upgraded roster with some more forwards who actually have some semblance of offensive skills, and more youth at the forward position. It's assets are Cory and the young defense, who can sometimes have off games due to relative inexperience. Ideally, we would get a coach who could capitalize on those strengths and develop our young defensemen well. That's what I would most hope for at this point.

Larsson could be a big part of the team, so I will agree with that. But as far as winning games go, I don't see how Deboer was a problem. In 2011-12, he got more out of the Devils than any previous coach since their last cup. In 2013, No Parise, and the team lost Kovy in its final stretch and went on a 10 game losing streak to miss the playoffs, despite the team out chancing almost every team in that stretch. Last year he coached a roster that just lost Parise and Kovy and came within a few shootout wins from getting in. The Shootout last year really summarized what Deboer was dealing with. A team with at least a little talent would have won a few shootouts and got themselves into the playoffs.

Also, in regards to ZBC's comment, the missing the playoffs 6 of 7 years arguement really holds no water. If you're gonna bring up that, bring up some context. Tell us what teams he coached and what rosters he had. You're only using the part of the picture you want and are being pretty unfairly biased.

Devils use to make the playoffs consistently, and set an expectation for fans every year. The difference now is that this team is simply worse. This is the worst roster the Devils have iced in 20 or so years. Look at those rosters and the points those players were capable of putting up and compare it the group of has beens we have now. I think it's time to see it for what it is.

Having said that, things can change quickly. One good offseason could really transform a team for the better moving forward.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Obviously Peter deboer who had 9 wins in his last 33 games as coach was a part of the solution.
This.
This.
How can they have possession when they can barely enter the zone? The problem is that the team is too slow to forecheck. They can't get pressure on the defense when it's chipped in because they can never even make it a race for the puck let alone beat the defense to it. That's a problem with a roster. Deboer was given chicken **** and told to make chicken salad.
Are you kidding me with this? Team was just as slow last year and good at possession. You're gonna try to convince me just being a year older cause their possession game to go away?
I'm sorry, nothing will convince me that Deboer is a good NHL coach. I don't wanna hear the roster complaints. he missed the playoffs in 6 of 7 years. "good" NHL coaches don't ever have streaks like that.

of course Pete is not 100% the problem, but he was certainly a large part of it.
Agreed. People act like we fired Scotty Bowman or something.

The Leafs sure rushed out to hire him after they fired Carlyle.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
This.

This.

Are you kidding me with this? Team was just as slow last year and good at possession. You're gonna try to convince me just being a year older cause their possession game to go away?

When you say you are agreeing with "this", you are referring back to others who use no evidence as to why they form their opinion. And if they do state some sort of fact, its a stat isolation, a small part of the picture, that is used to support what they want to believe. I wouldn't be so adamant against your opinions if it didn't seem so biased. You're just continuing this circle of biased thought. And I guess once enough people agree in feeling the same way, it must be true.

And I guess when you are defending a coach from being called the reason a garbage team gives garbage results, he's Scotty Bowman? lol

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
it really boggles my mind how much random people will defend Pete to no end.

its not like this guy won us multiple Cups or something. hes just some schmuck.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
This.

This.

DeBoer was not a bad coach. He got a lot out of very little both here and in Florida. The one time he had the chance to make the playoffs in Florida, Tallon started dumping players. The one year he had a solid team, we made it to the SCF.

I would be surprised if he's not signed by next year. With a better team, I think you would expect better results, the Devils under him always came to play until this year. I think DeBoers time was definitely up with the Devils but it's not him being a bad coach. It seems like after three years most coaches around the NHL wear out their welcome.

GhostofKenKlee

Pete's mystique is really something. He could of cemented his legacy with winning the cup. If anything, I hope he learned to adjust to the talent he had and or adapt on the fly.

Lou and crew are just mopping up, three weeks to the deadline.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

Pete handled younger players poorly. That is pretty much fact. However, Pete never handled contracts, draft picks, personnel nor organizational philosophy. That's why I have a hard time exclusively blaming him for our downfall.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

But he's not the man with his hands on the levers and buttons. There was only so much that DeBoer controlled in his coaching realm.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Pete handled younger players poorly. That is pretty much fact. However, Pete never handled contracts, draft picks, personnel nor organizational philosophy. That's why I have a hard time exclusively blaming him for our downfall.

but who is exclusively blaming him? he's the easiest to get rid of.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

Excuse me, weren't one of the guys that said Jacque Lemaire didn't understand hockey in today's NHL?

Let me make something clear, I don't think that DeBoer is the greatest coach but pinning last season and the start of this season on him is unfair. Jagr and Elias look like they've fallen off a cliff. This entire team is filled with scrubs. I would be surprised if Ryder and Havlat have jobs next year. Zubrus for sure is done in the NHL after his contract is up. Some of our best players are guys that nobody wanted like Gomez and Bernier. That last sentence tells you all you need to know about the Devils.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Excuse me, weren't one of the guys that said Jacque Lemaire didn't understand hockey in today's NHL?

I'm glad you brought that up, because I'm sure we saw a lot of two faced fans in regards to Lemaire. I'm sure there were many blaming Lemaire for their early playoff exist against the Flyers. Then in 2011, the guy was being called a genius by the same fans. Even this year, fans wished Lemaire could have saved this team again. What did you do for me lately logic at its best.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
People are actually defending DeBoer?

He went to the playoffs ONE YEAR!!!!

Look at the teams he had.

The teams he had, aside from the one that was a legit cup contender and did contend for the cup, finished exactly where they should have. The last two years we were a playoff bubble team. Aside from a 10 game losing streak where we dominated opponents but couldn't score and a horrendous shootout record, those teams could have made the playoffs.

You can't honestly tell me that the 12-13 and 13-14 teams were that good that missing out on the playoffs was bad on DeBoer.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
People are actually defending DeBoer?

He went to the playoffs ONE YEAR!!!!

Continue please. Finish giving us the the rest of Deboer's history and the context of the situations he was in. You seem to be missing a lot.

How often do the Panther's make the playoffs? Do you think this team, as is, will make the playoffs next year? Answer those questions, and then rethink what is actually surprising.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well apparently this thread outlived its usefulness since we're not talking about the current staff at all now, or who the next coach should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad